Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #43

12.75 is normal with black wire disconnected (http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/linear_flwchrt.pdf)

I had the impression you already new about this page however, if not:
3200 Technical Documentation: PPS LINEAR CONVERTERS TECHNICAL

This type of converter (Linear) uses the battery as a filter to maintain a clean 12VDC output.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
12.75 is normal with black wire disconnected (http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/linear_flwchrt.pdf)

I had the impression you already new about this page however, if not:
3200 Technical Documentation: PPS LINEAR CONVERTERS TECHNICAL

This type of converter (Linear) uses the battery as a filter to maintain a clean 12VDC output.

Dave
I dunno. As I look at my setup (and I haven't traced each wire perfectly). It looks to me like all my 12V is run off the blue (which is unfiltered). The black wire (which is in the charging circuit) is running to the underneath battery compartment and connected directly to the bus. Wouldn't that charge the battery AND power anything on the bus before being filtered by the battery? Does that mean with no battery present none of those "filtered" circuits would work? I cant wrap my mind around this yet.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #45

My comments are based on how the converter Mfg intended the unit to be connected to the system

http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/LinearBlock.pdf
In actuality we are both correct.
A) The internal "red" wire (output of charger circuit) does get filtered by the battery for any loads that are connected off of that leg. [ie: Sensitive TV's and electronics.] The battery itself acts to smooth out the AC ripple.
B) The internal "blue" wire is an unfiltered output with AC ripple riding on it.
Please note: You DO NOT want to connect a battery directly to the "blue" wire circuit as it can create an excessive unregulated current flow (ie your 17.0VDC reading). This converter was not designed to be connected that way.

http://www.parallaxpower.com/3200/3240C.pdf
The output of the Full Wave Bridge rectifier (Diodes D1-D4) will energize the 2 relays and is then applied directly to the unfiltered output (internal blue wire). The battery should not effect this output. If either relay did not energize, then yes the battery will affect this output. The unfiltered blue wire output level is affected by the 120VAC input level. The blue wire output (no loads attached) should range from 12.5VDC (@ 115VAC) to 13.3VDC (@125AC).
The output of the Full Wave Bridge rectifier (Diodes D1-D4) is also applied to the charger printed circuit board (PCB). The PCB output (red wire) varies (12.0 - 14.1VDC) based on the charge state condition of the battery. (http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/Li...sBatOvrChg.PDF)

Dave
Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #46

Great schematics. Just wish I could really understand them. I'll have to do some unplugging and see what doesn't work. Then do some more looking. Then do some more thinking.

I've got the unfiltered side. I just can't wrap my mind around the filtered side.

I think that when 110V is NOT present EVERYTHING would be filtered because it would be coming only from the house battery straight to the fuse panel through that black (should be red) wire. In other words I think the same wire carries charge to the house battery when 110V is present and then reverses (bringing power from the battery to the 12V fuse panel) when 110V is lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse boxes 005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	42880   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse boxes 006.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	42881  

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #47

Quote:
In other words I think the same wire carries charge to the house battery when 110V is present and then reverses (bringing power from the battery to the 12V fuse panel) when 110V is lost.
Yes that is true.

The filtered / unfiltered situation only applies when using the 110VAC source. Unfiltered just mean there is a AC voltage (6-8VAC) ridding on top of the 12VDC supply.

One thing to understand is that because the charger side (red wire) has a battery float voltage of 13.8VDC, this type of converter is known to boil batteries dry. You should check the battery water level monthly if left connected in storage. Most all of today's modern converters use a 13.2VDC float level.

Dave
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #48

Not trying to drive you crazy. But I still don't get how the filtered circuits would be wired while 110V is present.

I wonder if this is why our 12V fluorescents started to fail? I'm not too worried about those, I'm going to replace them with LEDs.

Battery boil over? I'm going with AGMs. Adding 1 - 12V at a time. Life is complex enough to worry about watering batteries.

I know 6V are better. I know getting them all at once is better. But one must make some sacrifices in life. AND AGMs should be able to take the higher voltage, right?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #49

Regarding boiling, another option? Some put cooking oil (I think?) into each cell, to keep the battery from loosing water? Forget the details, would have to do some searching, but some guys have apparently been pretty succesful with the practice?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #50

Talking

I have been holding back and letting Ahicks do a fine job of walking you through this. No need for me to interject anything.
As to your 12 volt fluorescent lights. Those suckers are do not care as to the cleanliness of the 12 volts. There is a ballast inside that actually makes AC current between 20-30 Kh. This is needed to fire the light off.

As to the filtered and unfiltered DC I really wouldn't worry about it, the battery acts as a big filter, so all of your 12 vdc is relatively clean. The only problem that you might watch for is if you have any 12 vdc electronics. TV, stuff like that. Even these are pretty tolerant of the input voltage.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #51

The Magnetec converter in my 94 Dolphin had a bad diode. This allowed AC to get to the battery charger/converter circuit. I found it when the radio was working from the converter---it makes that "60 cycle hum" sound. I took out the converter and put in a Progressive unit. It has the multi-state smart charger controls, and works really well. Downside is the $150 price, but the old unit was trash.

HTH,
Tom
Old 08-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #52

Nice day for going back to battery hold school. Partly cloudy, low humidly and a nice breeze to blow some of the blood sucking bugs away.

I think I have "seen the light" on the remote battery disconnect and converter. (Still don't understand filtered 12V when the converter is on - but that's OK).

My question now is what are the thick red wires attached to the bus? Out of 4:

1) One goes to battery/battery disco unit
2) One goes to bus

Would one go to my auxiliary start?
Would one go to my generator/transfer switch?
Just guessing and waiting for some insight.

BTW I used the Epson Salt "fix" on the old battery. Got it from 6.5V to 10.75V, but not enough to activate the battery disco relay. That had to be done with converter power. I know that it is not a permanent fix it is just in case the 110V goes out I can run a couple of 12V diode lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	43532