Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

1989 Airstream Classic 345LE motorhome

I've had this beauty for over 2 years now. Every day I try my best to at least rub my hand across the aluminum as I leave for work. Still have to pinch myself to make myself realize that I'm the proud owner of a lifelong dream, owning an Airstream.

After several pop-ups, one small box trailer, and many, many years of doing without, while life marched one, I purchased this motorhome August of 2011. I'll keep up with this thread of projects that I've have done, and in process at the current time.

Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	52836   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	52837  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	52838   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	52839  

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	52840   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	52841  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice, alway did like the way they look. What chassis does it have?

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW. Looks great! Congrats and enjoy.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

They're a great coach, our first coach was a 1984 34.5 airstream classic. Had several features I wish we had on our present coach, i.e., power cord and water hose on retractable reels; air chuck in right rear outside storage compartment; pull-out battery compartment; AC condensation collection pans with drain lines between inner & outer left wall dumping underneath coach; dual furnaces; floor safe; built in Blender in galley counter top; Kohler 7kw genset & remote roof mounted spotlight.

Yours is a beautiful coach don't ever let her go..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These old A/S coaches are things of beauties. I hope you enjoy it.

Ken
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I love these older coaches. The have so much character that is missing from the new flashy MHs

Please keep us updated on your projects. I am kind of dead in the water right now on projects because it is so cold. I have gotten inpatient and have it a Caledonia RV for them to take care of some of the projects that I want done before going top Gater Nationals this March.

How about posting some pictures over on this thread. It fits right in
Post your 1993 to 2000 class A pictures here not covered in the thread under vintage
Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #7

gonna skip to present, and fill in as time permits

The front captains chairs left little to like. Foam was falling out from below, the cloth inserts were ripped to shreds on the passenger seat, and the vinyl was beyond cleaning

Decided that since I couldn't get much done in yard with the rain we're having today, it's time to get inside of Airstream! Have had these seats taking up space for a couple of months now, due to work, never had any spare time (or daylight) to get this done. Thinking new seats are a HUGE improvement over old!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	52853   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	52854  

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	52855   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	52856  

Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #8

Chevrolet P-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Very nice, alway did like the way they look. What chassis does it have?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Airstream is on a modified Chevrolet P-30 chassis. 454, 4bbl carb, with 3 speed transmission. From what I've been able to determine, Chevrolet only made chassis a certain length, Airstream then added length and a tag axle to compensate for added weight.

Hoping to get up on roof tomorrow (day off) and get last of what a previous owner applied, a gray, tar based roofing paint. Will use Eternabond on all roof seams, then apply white reflective roofing paint that I'm adding glass micro beads to. I'll post what I can.

Thanks, Derek
Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #9

What a timeless beauty. I tell my friends half the fun of owning a coach is the tinkering and the zen of ownership. I'm looking forward to your posts.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
You should take a look at this thread on another airstream
New Member Intro, Airstream Motorhome Restoration.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Hi Chuck,

Airstream is on a modified Chevrolet P-30 chassis. 454, 4bbl carb, with 3 speed transmission. From what I've been able to determine, Chevrolet only made chassis a certain length, Airstream then added length and a tag axle to compensate for added weight.

Thanks, Derek
Derek,
If you don't already belong you may want to join the Workhorse Chevrolet chassis forum. Also, if you have problems with the tag brakes there's a lot of information on irv2. There is also a P30 chassis group in the Yahoo groups lot information there. Additionally, if you have problems with your auto park brake system there is a member here and the Yahoo group that is an expert in them. I think his user namd is oldusedbear, if you do a search for him his posts should show.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
You should take a look at this thread on another airstream
New Member Intro, Airstream Motorhome Restoration.

Thanks GlennLever,

KeyAir and I are 'best' buddies on the AirForum, actually to the point of where we text each other problems on almost a daily basis, lol.

He's got a very unique 345, in that it was custom built for the original owner by replacing the dinette across from the kitchen area by building a 3-bay cupboard. As well, replaced the fairly useless barrel chairs on curbside (behind passenger captain chair) with a 2-person dinette. Quite a rare beast!

Thanks, Derek
Old 01-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

from the beginning

So, with me having the Airstream parked in my alley driveway, I'm able to get out there and work on it when time permits (lately not a lot of time....tis the season for your hardworking St Pete mailman)

After a couple of weeks after purchase, I finally decided that I couldn't resist any longer. Just had to spend a weekend night 'camping' in my backyard. So excited it took me a bit to finally get to sleep. Best part, it started raining at some point at night. Not only do I have my dream Airstream, I've got a tin roof to listen to the rain!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Bedroom.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	52952  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Thanks GlennLever,

KeyAir and I are 'best' buddies on the AirForum, actually to the point of where we text each other problems on almost a daily basis, lol.

He's got a very unique 345, in that it was custom built for the original owner by replacing the dinette across from the kitchen area by building a 3-bay cupboard. As well, replaced the fairly useless barrel chairs on curbside (behind passenger captain chair) with a 2-person dinette. Quite a rare beast!

Thanks, Derek
He does not post much over here, would love to folow his progress, can you post a link to over there?

I would so like to wok on mine, but.... in the next week we are supposed to get 24 inches of the white stuff and tomorrow the HIGH is supposed to be -6

Tags
airstream, motorhome