Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

1989 Spartan diesel Pusher.

Hi.

I have come across a sales ad for a 1989 Spartan 34 ft. Class A Motor home.
It has a 8.3 Cummings and Allison transmission. Asking $17,000.00

I have tried to research this coach but can find nothing except one or two other sales ads. Were there only a few originally made? or did this manufacturer not stay long in business?

I can find information on the Spartan chassis company but not a Spartan motorhome manufacturer. Are they a separate company or one and the same? I sure do not want to purchase a coach that no service shop have ever heard of and turn me away.

Hope some of the members can help with this mystery.

Thank you. Brian. Mission BC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call spartan in Michigan and ask them. If you can pull a chassi number, a VIN number they will be able to tell you who they built the chassis for. They made chassis for many mfg's. I'd bet you a cup of coffee that it is a REXHALL motorcoach. With a VIN number Spartan service will tell you who actually purchased the chassis.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

Brian , as in the other post , I think if you look the unit over you will find that Spartan is a model name and not the manufacturer. In a lot of cases the manufacturer, will no longer be around, so some info will be hard to come by. However, Spartan Chassis, Cummins, Allison, and probably the makers of the fridge, stove, furnace are still out there, so parts and repairs should not be a huge issue. If the unit is solid, clean and suits your needs and pocket book, it's worth a good look.
One real draw back, and worth checking out would be windshield availability, get numbers off the glass and check with a glass shop for parts. None available ; that would be a deal breaker.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

hi.
Here are some photos from the ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89spartan1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	14014   Click image for larger version

Name:	89spartan3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	14015  

Click image for larger version

Name:	89spartan13.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	14016  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Brian , from the pictures, the unit looks ok, the fact that is a no-slide model is reflected in the price. I was told when I was dealing on my 99 Dutch Star, that single slide units were getting hard to sell also; but the floor plan worked for us and the condition was great, so now we have it. Side entry is also a bit of an issue for some if re-sale is in the cards. Windshields don't look unusual but check them out , for availability. AND, don't forget you need an air brake ticket to be legal in BC !
Pictures make it look a lot longer than 34". Have you checked with a tape measure?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

Sportscoach IV

This coach is a Sportscoach IV made by Sportscaoch of America. These were made from 1988 to 1992. It is a well built coach with a steel structure. It should be listed as a 35 ft. The chassis is made by Spartan chassis. I have the same model, with a CAT motor instead if the Cummings motor.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

I am aware that the thread is old, but so is the coach. It is a Sportscoach IV built on a Spartan chassis. I have owned one for the last 16 years. As with any coach there are problem areas. I think I have worked my way through them and could possibly be of help in some cases. I have the owners manuals for the chassis and the coach so if I can be of any help contact me. Can't help with the engine though, as mine is a 3208 Cat.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

1989 Sportscoach IV

Hey Boomer, I also have a Sportscoach IV with a CAT 3208T. I would like to swap info, there is not many of these around. I sent a message to you. Welcome to the Club !!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorgreg View Post
Hey Boomer, I also have a Sportscoach IV with a CAT 3208T. I would like to swap info, there is not many of these around. I sent a message to you. Welcome to the Club !!!!
I have a good friend who has a 3208 in his boat. You have an engine that's immortal!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #10

3208 cat.

You are right about that engine being immortal. I have a friend who bought a new Foretravel with a 3208 cat and at 60 thousand miles he called the local Cat dealer and asked if he should take it in to have the valves adjusted. He was asked how many miles were on it and he told them. The service manager told him "bring it back in about four years".
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Sportscoach IV

I hope its immortal, I plan on keeping it around for a long, long, time. A lot of fix ups, and only 45000 miles, I hope to exchange all fluids and roll it down the road. Every time we have it out I get a lot of "Who made that, it looks timeless, ect". If nothing else it makes a great conversation starter.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #12

Hello Greg, Its been a while since I talked to you. I hope that you are enjoying your Sportscoach. Due to our age and other related factors my wife and I have pretty much given up traveling by RV. My Sportscoach IV is going to be up for sale. If anyone that admires yours is interested, feel free to give them my contact information and I will furnish pictures, specs etc.
Any common information that I have from the manuals that you might need I will be glad to share with you before I pass these things on to a buyer.

Fred Scheppele, Oklahoma City. (fred405@atlinkwifi.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorgreg View Post
I hope its immortal, I plan on keeping it around for a long, long, time. A lot of fix ups, and only 45000 miles, I hope to exchange all fluids and roll it down the road. Every time we have it out I get a lot of "Who made that, it looks timeless, ect". If nothing else it makes a great conversation starter.

Tags
diesel, spartan