Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
1990 29' Shasta Roadmaster info

I have just bought a 1990 29' Shasta Roadmaster. I'm looking for info on it, such as water, fuel , gray water and black water, and LP tank capacity. What chassis it was built on, (it has a 454) transmission and what bells and whistles should be on it.

I am finding nothing on the net about them? Were they a upper end coach, mid grade?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Seriously! Isn't it a good idea to have this info before you purchase? HA! ...well i can tell you this was not an upper end coach in 1990 that is for sure.

fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It would have been ideal to have the info first, but I can't seam to track any down, and the owner of the motorhome is no longer with us. I'm afraid his grandson doesn't know much about it. I do know it has 31K on the clock, runs and drives well, and everything works no leaks of any fluids and no water damage and it looks nice enough. Figured that was a good start, and I could find out the small details later.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know Shasta made lots of travel trailers but didn't know they got into motorhomes as well.

I did a quick Google image search and came up with this pic of a 1986 model.

Looks pretty standard issue class A for that era. Nothing special but you should be able to get parts for everything except the exterior bodywork.

You should be able to download manuals for the appliances and such by doing online searches.

Make sure the basics are covered:
Seal up any leaks
Freshen up the brakes
Replace old tires
Replace all drivetrain fluids and chassis greases

Then ENJOY IT!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Tires are newer. Date code pouts them at early 010. Fulids will be changed before I leave Phoenix.

Should I have the trans flushed, or just change the filter and the fluid in the pan? I have no plans of going to synthtic ATF at this time. It shows 31K on the clock

Oil will be Rotella, as that is what I run in every 4 cycle engine I own, and I own a few of them. LOL

Brakes will get checked, but as long as the fluid doesn't look like sludge I think I will wait to flush the system till I get home to my shop.

It has leveling jacks, is this a system the requires fluid changes? This too will wait till I get to my home shop.

All in all this seams like a very well cared for RV.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you got a good older motorhome. You mentioned it has the 454 so it is simply a Chevrolet "bread truck" chassis. The famed "Workhorse" name did not apply for another decade after yours.

My personal preference on the tranny is drop the pan yourself, see what kind of residue is lying in it. A thin layer of sludge is OK but a bunch, especially if it has lots of "sparkles" from ground up clutch plates , means the tranny is almost dead. If it looks OK, then just a fresh filter and fluid. Maybe do it again at the end of the season.

Rotella is a great oil - good choice there (even though I'm a Delo man ).

Leveling jacks probably use ATF or general hydraulic fluid (NOT brake fluid). If you can see a manufacturers name on the pump or reservoir then the info might be found online.

Only thing on those brakes is with a chassis that has sat a lot (like yours), those brakes can seize up once they get hot again. Not saying it WILL happen, just be aware it happens to many old motorhomes once they go back into service.

Have a great time in your classic Shasta!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unfortunately I am not the one that will be changing the trans fluid. I will be staying a my Dad's house and the HOA is not impressed with automotive work going on out side of the garage. I will ask to see the pan so see if it is full of trash, and then change it again at the end of the year.

Delo is good oil, but when I made the switch it was harder to find, and Rotella was like dog poo, it was every where. Not to mention I can get 5 gallon jugs of it at the farm store by the house. It goes in every thing, truck, bikes, quads, Honda genny, all with Wix or Napa gold filters.

I will be in the area giving the motorhome a good workout close to Dad's place to make sure that all it well. I'm sure I can find some good stop and go traffic on the 101 to test the brakes, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

1990 Shasta Motorhome

I too have a 1990 Shasta motorhome, mine says it is a 30 foot.
I know very little about it. It was my parents and they were full timers in it for many years with very little maintenance. Since my dad passed away, it sat in the back yard for several years before I decided to start using it. When I took it out for the first time this year the front right brake locked up. I took the caliper off and there was absoloutly no pad what so ever left. It needs new calipers but I have no idea what frame this has, so I dont know what to ask for at the parts store.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #9

You probably have a P30 Chevy chassis. I have an 87 Allegro Bay and its has the Big Block 454 3 speed transmition. Check the brakes and especially the brake lines. The previous owner had the brakes done, but not the brake lines (cost $800) and a tow to fix. Change all fluids and if needed find a good shop and have it checked out. Any auto shop worth their mint will be able to work on the engine. Knowing that would have saved me $400 on the brake lines.

I found the capacity of my tanks by measuring them and then converting it to gallons. For the propane measure the length and look the tank up online for the size or call your local propane company (thats what I did). When I bought mine it was 1/2 full and we have been out 2 times and barely used any propane. Probably won't fill until fall.

Go up on the roof and look at all seams and joints. Look inside all cabnets and all walls for signs of water damage. Class C's are known to leak around the upper bed. Mine had a couple of minor leaks and for about $200 redid the roof. No problems now and in the PNW it rains alot.

Than make some reservations, take the marshmellow, choc, and graham crackers and have some fun. Oh don't forget the cold brews.

Happy Camping

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote