Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #29

I think it is unlikely that you changed the engine timing while replacing spark plugs..I think it would be more likely that the spark plug wires were replaced and crossed up somehow if pulling more than one wire at a time. double check firing order as mentioned and correct any wire that was crossed. The only other thing that I experienced while replacing plugs that caused poor performance was putting too much di electic greese on the spark plug wire cap which caused misfiring of the plug.
oran42348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #30

Have you pulled the cap since you replaced it, and looked at the rotor? I've seen the wrong rotor sold with the HEI cap. Make sure it looks like the old one. I remember fiddling with my rotor to get it on correctly, back when I was running the OEM 454.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #31

Nothing worked so I decided to pull the valve covers. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441304646.633789.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	105689
Lifters lost hydraulic pressure and then 4 push rods were dropped. Gotta love it.
esslinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #32

Rexhall Owners Group
That's what you saw when you took off the valve cover?
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #33

I don't think there is enough room to drop push rods with flat lifters. They would fall out all of the time.

Besides the clacking from the ones that didn't fall out would have sent you there before changing plugs.

Probably rusted valve stems made the valves stick open, causing a big enough gap for the push rods to drop.

Over rev or broken valve springs will also throw push rods.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check to make sure any vacuum hoses are correctly connected and not dangling in the wind.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, bounder