Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
HavocSun the TBI means throttle body injection. The two injectors can be easily replaced. There is also a fuel pressure regulator that can be replaced. If memory serves me it is located in the TBI body.

I have a question does your engine have an air pump for the emissions control? If it does the deverter valve on the air injection system could be causing the back fire, also the egr valve could be the cause. Also check all of the vacuum lines for leaks.

Use carburetor cleaner on all of the vacuum lines while the engine is running and listen for rpm change. That will identify the area of the vacuum leak.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
HavocSun
I have a question does your engine have an air pump for the emissions control? If it does the deverter valve on the air injection system could be causing the back fire, also the egr valve could be the cause. Also check all of the vacuum lines for leaks.
What I recall about the deverter valve (or gulp valve) is it could cause backfires in the exhaust on deceleration if it was defective. Another thing to look at is the plug wires. If they have not been changed they could be cross firing under acceleration causing the backfire through the intake.

"A gulp valve sense a change of vacuum in the intake manifold. The gulp valve is intended to stop the air flow over the exhaust valves when a rich mixture is added to the system, i.e. whenever you let up on the gas pedal. If the gulp valve does not operate correctly, then this rich mixture would hit the exhaust manifold with the forced air and explode in the exhaust system."

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #45

I just finished rebuilding the TBI from a kit I ordered on line. Back Fire is gone. A lot more power at the start, better hill climbing. Now to see if it will pass smog.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #46

Unusual original extras?

I think I have talked about how time forgot this RV, So going threw all the storage bays I'm finding little treasures. Some our easy enough to understand what they are, others not so much. I just found these items (see pic attached). I think the 2 on the chairs our tire covers. Then the 2 angle shaped items might be to cover up the front window from the outside. But the rectangle shape items with black piping, not a clue what they are. They were all in the same unopened bag labeled Pace Arrow Accessories. The label looks stock.

PS
If the pics don't look right please let me know. This is the 1st time I have uploaded pics here. I noticed the size was reduced a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	96291   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	96292  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	96293  
Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Just a guess, A/C covers, tire covers and possible window covers. Good luck on your quest.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSun View Post
Let me start by saying thank you all for your great information. I don't think I could have done this without all the great feedback I got. My 1990 fleetwood Pace Arrow is on the road again!!!

Now about those tires. Are they as old as the gas? If so replace them or run the risk of a blowout and damaging your Pace Arrow. While they're at it have them check your suspension and brakes. Since you are thinking belts on the engine don't forget to flush your radiator and replace the old hoses. Then enjoy your motorhome.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Just a guess, A/C covers, tire covers and possible window covers. Good luck on your quest.
Yes I think your right, they do fit perfectly over both A/C units. The window covers do snap on to the outside of the RV's front window & make a pretty tight seal against sunlight. There our four of the oval shaped covers so its pretty clear they go over the tires.

The Pace Arrow has a full wrap around front curtain as well, as you can see in my members pic its closed. But I also found something else in that same storage bay. Its labeled the same. "Fleetwood Pace Arrow Accessories" it also looks like a factory original label and the bag is sealed. I will open it latter today to take pictures to post after church. I'm pretty sure I know where they go. But I have never seen anything like it before in all my days of Motor home use.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #50

Original 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Tires

The tires our original to this RV, so that would make them 25 years old. Its sad because the RV only has 3800 miles on her and the tires look brand new. I see no sign of cracking but I know the "rule of Thumb" here. (Change them!)

For a man on a budget this will be a big financial hit, so researching the internet on old tires I found out some good information.

1). Commercial grade tires our not made like regular tires our, the tire itself is made to withstand a huge amount of weight & PSI settings normally run over 90.

2). The average life of a commercial grade tire is much longer then most other tires, manufactures factor that in & use a different process while making these tires to withstand above normal ware & tear,

3). The rear dully is a much safer place to put old tires then anywhere else on a commercial vehicle and most commercial drivers put their worst tires there.

4). The outside dully wears twice as fast as the inside dully. So your worst tire should always go inside rear. (someone explain to me why that is because when it does become time to change, that will be a lot more work to get that inside rear tire off)?

What did I learn from all this research? Well I will buy 2 new tires for the front post haste! And I will change out the rear as needed. Like always any information anyone has on this matter please feel free to post. I become smarter because I realized early in my life God gave me 2 ears & 1 mouth. I listen at least twice as much as I talk.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #51

Re: 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Most modern dual wheel setups are held on with the same lugs, so changing the inner or outer isn't much more work.

There was a time when "Budd" wheel nuts were used. The inner wheel was held on with square head, hollow lugs, that had outside threads for the outer, much larger, wheel nuts.

With them, you could drive the inner tire up on a block and change the outer tire.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Now about those tires. Are they as old as the gas? If so replace them or run the risk of a blowout and damaging your Pace Arrow. While they're at it have them check your suspension and brakes. Since you are thinking belts on the engine don't forget to flush your radiator and replace the old hoses. Then enjoy your motorhome.
I posted some real go information on old tires earlier but I will buy 2 new front tires at the least.
WOW! The belts our a real pain to R&R on this RV!
I already flushed & added new coolant for the radiator before I even started the engine. As well as changed the oil.
Funny you mentioned the brakes because the rear brakes were stuck semi closed, which I became aware of as I was going down the road for the 1st time. I remember my Father doing this trick of going backwards and hitting the brakes hard a few times on his old Commander when it sat for any length of time. It did the trick! Brakes seem to be working just fine now. I checked all the lines and fluid level, everything looks good.
The suspension looks OK, but the front air bags our empty so she rides a little low in the front, the bags themselves don't look to bad. No visible cracks. Before I add air I want to research that system a little more.

And of course, I still cant get the hydraulic leveling system to work. The main control panel light comes on when I press the power button, but the control sticks do nothing when I move them.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #53

Hi there, just read your thread. I have a 88 32' Fleetwood Pace Arrow, looks just like yours. My lifting system works great but my ignition key is stuck in the ignition on ACC and won't move or come out? Any ideas?
ALso, do you need pic of wiring to batteries?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
Hi there, just read your thread. I have a 88 32' Fleetwood Pace Arrow, looks just like yours. My lifting system works great but my ignition key is stuck in the ignition on ACC and won't move or come out? Any ideas?
ALso, do you need pic of wiring to batteries?
Hi,

Wow so the key didn't break off in the ignition? its just stuck??.
If so I would try spraying a lot of liquid wrench or WD40 right where the key is stuck trying to get as much of the liquid inside the switch. Using the red tube that comes with the spray helps a lot. I prefer Liquid wrench for things that our stuck. Wiggling the key more then forcing the key may be better as well. If that doesn't work you can try putting a set of Vice Grips on it and trying to move it in & out while forcing the key back to the off position. Make sure you know were that might be either left or right. At this point you may break the key off in the ignition but if you cant get it out looks like you needed to replace the ignition switch anyway.

Salvage yard will have your style switch with keys. Good thing is that key is only used for the ignition switch and does not match the doors or anything else in the RV. Its also not part of any locking system on the steering column so its pretty easy to replace.

Yes I would love for you to post pics of your battery's here.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #55

1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Chevy 454 Won't pass smog

I now have a new problem with no easy solution. I have tried to smog the RV only to have it blow 100 more Hydrocarbons then allowed by California smog test. Before I start going threw each device & replacing it (help from vids on Youtube). I wanted to get this yellow wire out of the way. I'm hoping someone who has a Pace Arrow same year can tell me where this wire goes. I've added a short video to show exactly what I mean. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Havoc

Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #56

Generators Fuel Pump

I was just wondering how the fuel pump for my generator turns on? Its the stock Generator for this Pace Arrow. When I lost the fuel pump to my RV I also lost the fuel pump to my generator which was working perfectly before it went out.
I replaced it and wired it up the same way. but I notice when I turn it over I see no fuel go threw the filter. My guess is it must activate the pump when the generator starts to turn over right?
So why is it not working? Do I need to prime the pump 1st?

Tags
ace, fleetwood, pace arrow