Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

How long can fuel last before its totally useless, apparently I have a full tank (75 Gallons) of 5 year old gas in a Pace Arrow I just acquired very cheap.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

I use stabil over the winter for my RV and lawnmower and in my snow blower over the summer. Five year old fuel is definitely a problem!

There may be a way to un-tarnish the fuel but I'm not certain. I would consider draining the tank (have that done by a shop. 75 gallons is a LOT) and running a good detergent additive through the first fresh tank.

I'm no mechanic and others will chime in shortly with much better info I'm sure.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

I figured its useless, but I am trying to keep costs down on the repair of this RV. I cant drive it to a mechanic, I don't like the idea of a mobile service draining the fuel, I'm sure that will be costly. I guess I may have to drain it 5 gallons at a time, it will only take 15 trips. (Ugh) But what do I do with the fuel? Where would I take it? Honestly the more I think about this the bigger problem it truly may be. I wish I could just drive the RV around for a bit maybe remove 1/2 and replace with fresh fuel.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have just started my grandaughters Honda that sat for over two years. It started up with a new battery in about twenty seconds. Some of the posters will tell you that the new fuel goes bad in six months or so. That was wrong in my case. If I were you I would see if it will crank. If it will crank I would add a few cans of octane booster and drive it out. Of course fresh gas will have to poured into the intake till the fuel in the lines is purged. Fuel in small amounts goes bad faster than in the tank.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Wow this is great news! If I could get it started with your suggestions I would just let it idol until I can keep adding more new fuel. I would think not putting any drag on the powertrain should keep everything safe. Oh if only!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSun View Post
Wow this is great news! If I could get it started with your suggestions I would just let it idol until I can keep adding more new fuel. I would think not putting any drag on the powertrain should keep everything safe. Oh if only!
It is not good for the transmission to idle for hours on end. Also the engine could get hot. I would suggest watching the temp gauge and driving it up and down the driveway (at least) every few minutes.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
ideas:

Dilution is the solution.

Drain a 1/2 gallon out and see if your lawnmower will run on it.

Mix a couple gallons at a time in your car

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Last year I sold an old car that had been sitting for 12 years. While it took them a while to get it running, they were able to get it running and drove it up on a trailer. Your Pace Arrow should have a carburetor, so you may have to clean out the float bowls after you run it for a while.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be careful pouring gas in the carb. If it backfires through the carb you could have a fire on your hands. Safer to put gas in an old style pump type oil can and squirt gas into the carb. Have better control of gas and less likely for the container to catch on fire.
I had an 1984 Class C that was left on property we bought that had sat for over seven years. Gave to a guy I worked with, it has duel tanks. He drained the tanks and put five gallons at a time in his truck with each full tank of fresh gas. Took a while because the main tank was full, believe it was 50 gals. Turned out to be a nice coach for him.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
It is not good for the transmission to idle for hours on end. Also the engine could get hot. I would suggest watching the temp gauge and driving it up and down the driveway (at least) every few minutes.
Idling will not hurt the transmission at all and unless there is an issue with the radiator or cooling system it shouldnt over heat sitting in a drive way
Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you have spot to do this in and you expect more repairs soon I would set aside some of the old gas as a soak/cleaning fluid for dirty parts-as long s there are no flames near by.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #12

Pouring gas in a carb of an engine that's been sitting for a long time can be rough. The rusty piston rings could score the cylinders. A backfire, due to a sticky intake valve could set it a blaze.

I would spray some WD 40, or something like that, in the carb and spin the engine over , with the coil wire out, at least until you see some oil pressure.

If it has a carb, then you can just pump the gas pedal to see if gas is there.

Beyond that, a squirt of gas may help it kick over.

Edit: I think by 1990, carbs were a thing of the past.

Careful out there.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
What engine are we talking about?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Thank You for all your reply's, it's a 1990 Chevy 454 with 38K miles. It does have a carburetor. I was told seafoam is great for keeping the carburetor clean while running old fuel. So I contacted Seafoam directly, I was surprised to get a prompt reply. A couple of things they said to do with fuel sitting over 2 years.

1st. Quantity is key, the more fuel I have in the tank the better for a few reasons, less chance of moisture damage & it takes longer for large amounts of fuel to solidify. (turn to varnish) I have a full tank! (90 Gallons)

2nd. Add 1 ounce of Seafoam to every gallon of fuel, also add octane booster if the fuel has been sitting longer then 2 years.

They would not give me any guarantees that doing this would keep my engines safe. Most of this knowledge I was told came from there own testing and testimonials. They have successfully run 5 year old fuel without damage to there test engine. But the engine was not run hard or for long periods of time. Testimonials have gone with fuel as old as 12 years.

Tags
ace, fleetwood, pace arrow