Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

1992 American Eagle Diesel Pusher Question

We purchased a 1992 American Eagle motorhome, have had to do quite a bit of work to it although the previous owner said nothing was wrong with it other than the icemaker didn't work, that was a lie, anyway, the problem we are having is that when we put it in gear, it starts beeping and won't move. We have fixed the jacks, changed out all of the inverters, changed the alternator and everything else we can. We have contacted Spartan, Fleetwood and Milwaukee about the issue, still haven't gotten an answer. Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems.
Could you provide some more info please.

Were you able to drive the coach when you first purchased it ?
And, this is a new issue since you've done other work .
When you select a gear does the engine load up like the transmission is going into gear ; but unable to move the coach due to the parking brake not releasing?
Do your air pressure gauges show 100 PSI+ when you try releasing the park brake ? I'm assuming you have air brakes with this question.
If you have an Allison transmission, with a key pad shift , does the display change, to D or R when you push the button.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems.
Could you provide some more info please.

Were you able to drive the coach when you first purchased it ?
And, this is a new issue since you've done other work .
When you select a gear does the engine load up like the transmission is going into gear ; but unable to move the coach due to the parking brake not releasing?
Do your air pressure gauges show 100 PSI+ when you try releasing the park brake ? I'm assuming you have air brakes with this question.
If you have an Allison transmission, with a key pad shift , does the display change, to D or R when you push the button.
My question(s) exactly.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Yes, we were able to drive it after we purchased it, we did all the changes after we had the issue. You can feel it go into gear, the display changes to D. When the brake release is pushed, you can hear it go off as well. I am not sure about the air pressure, that gauge isn't working properly, we are going to have to replace all the gauges on the dash so that they all work properly, but that could be the issue, maybe its in the air brakes and not anything else. Hmmmmm
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Maybe low air alarm?

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Try calling Allison and American Coach. In fact, you might post your Allison question on the Allison thread below.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #7

On My 92 there is 1 alarm on Start up - Low Air Pressure and if I put it in gear before the Jacks are up another alarm sounds, Other than that there is an overheat Alarm too.
Advice: Make sure the Jacks are all the way up, you might want to check the fluid level.
Your air gauge is mechanical so no senders its driven by direct air pressure. If you need info on your Gauge cluster let me know.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #8

Just had another thought that could be the issue !
In the early 90's Allison had a series if issues with their TCU's, I experienced it with mine. Started it up and let it warm- Put it in gear and the Allison alarm goes off and the red light blinks- no gears.
Check for any Allison codes.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If its in drive and won't move, odds are the park/emergency brake has not actually released. That's what the beeping is warning you about. You need a chassis shop rather than American Coach or an RV dealer. A mobile diesel repair service might get you going without a tow.

The park brake is applied by springs and released by air pressure. If the spring-applied brake is rusted tight, or is not receiving enough air pressure to release, the coach won't move.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Details please...

Do you have a helper?

Search any state Web page for instructions for the air brake endorsement as it will guide you on air brake operation.

Have helper operate both service and air brake while you SAFELY OBSERVE the parts moving at the wheels.

Not sure if your tranny is electronic or linkage so look at side if tranny while you are back there and look to see if it has linkage and if it is moving.

You state it feels like in drive, does it load the engine?

Jacks not all the way retracted can make one alarm and a low air makes one too.

Low air would not allow park or spring brake to release and give these results.

Regarding dash...Look for ground buss and clean it up as most issues are related to that.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

We got it fixed! Someone sent us a message that has a '93 that has the same issue and it turns out that it was idling too high and it wouldn't go into gear! Thank each and everyone of you for your responses. We are new to having an RV and it is a huge learning experience for us.

Thank you again for your responses, it really did help us out on other stuff that we have no clue about!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Cool. Was it in high idle or just had the regular idle set too high?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord119 View Post
Yes, we were able to drive it after we purchased it, we did all the changes after we had the issue. You can feel it go into gear, the display changes to D. When the brake release is pushed, you can hear it go off as well. I am not sure about the air pressure, that gauge isn't working properly, we are going to have to replace all the gauges on the dash so that they all work properly, but that could be the issue, maybe its in the air brakes and not anything else. Hmmmmm

Doesn't make sense to me because if your idle rpm is too high it Will Not Go in gear ! I get that .You stated above that it was going in gear and not moving .
Just thinking here !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Doesn't make sense to me because if your idle rpm is too high it Will Not Go in gear ! I get that .You stated above that it was going in gear and not moving .
Just thinking here !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Great Point.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel