Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

1993 Gulfstream Diesel- No Brakes??

I purchased a used diesel pusher last fall and parked it for the winter. Just fired it up but the brake pedal goes right to the floor. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? It doesn't have air brakes.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Find the master cylinder and top off the fluid and bleed the brakes. Once you get the brakes bled have someone pump the brake peddle and crawl around under there tracing the lines looking for leaks.

I have a 2 1/2 ton chevy truck that does the same thing if I leave it sit for months at a time. One wheel cylinder leaks a little bit. That would be my guess your problem is. The ones I have replaced on my pickup were pretty cheap and no to bad to install.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Thanks. I was told that because it was diesel that I should be looking to see if the hydraulic pump??? was working.
So I should be looking for a master cylinder of sorts?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #4

are they air brakes or air over oil?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

not air brakes; thats all I know so far.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

You still have a master cylinder. That is where you put the brake fluid. Start with the easiest place. That is the fluid level in the master cylinder. If it is full you have other problems. If it is empty you found the problem.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

What model is your 1993 GulfStream? Do you have air pressure gauges on your dashboard? If you do have air brakes they could be air over hydraulic brakes such as mine and may need several minutes to build up air pressure. If it does have sufficient pressure, over 70#, the master cylinder is located in the front opening to the right of the generator.

Mine is on a Spartan EC2242 chassis; you should have a plate with model and serial number somewhere inside which identifies the chassis mfg; mine is located next to the drivers seat.

Tags
brake, brakes, diesel, gulfstream