Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

1993 Win/Chevy P30 454

Fuel shoots out of top of throttle body (injectors) when key first turned on - HELP Thanks
Bigmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Does the fuel continue to flow and flood the engine, causing a no start condition?
TBI, systems will pulse the injectors ; once ; to put fuel for start up into the intake manifold ; at key on; and when the engine isn't cranking to supply intake manifold vacuum , it will spray back up towards the air cleaner.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Skip: Thanks for response - YES it continues and floods the motor. Local mechanic said he thought it was the ECM (computer) I purchased a rebuilt ECM -took the PROM out of the old and put in the rebuilt - same problem. Mechanic said it was probably the PROM. Chevy dealer says 1993 PROM ( #16175224) no longer avail. Been trying to find one from salvage yards - no success. Any ideas where I might look for a PROM. RV dealers no help Thanks .
Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

Bad O Ring maybe? What has been checked?
Need to determine if the ECM is sending the right signal to the injectors and see if they are getting a pulse on time. There are many things such as the coolent temp sensor, timing, fuel pressure etc that can throw things off. Hold the throttle wide open when you crank it and see what happens. WOT should just about shut down the fuel flow and it might start but see what happens from there. I don't know that I would start throwing used parts at it without more diagnostics. l would start with your grounds around the injector harness and the fuel pressure regulator.
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblondon View Post
Bad O Ring maybe? What has been checked?
Have you tried turning on the key , with power disconnected from the injectors ?
That would check O rings and bad injectors .
Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I am currently in Florida - RV is in Missouri. I will send this info to the mechanic and am going up there myself on the 23rd August. Mechanic told me he was going to take a week off and go to Colorado. Will get back to both you guys and let you know what happens Appreciate the responses. I believe he did put new O-rings
Old 08-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad O rings in the throtle body. Get a repair kit and replace them.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

Thanks speed; Mechanic told me he rebuilt the TBI including new o'rings before he left on vacation. He was inclined to believe it was the PROM since we replaced the ECM. Anybody have a suggestion where I can get a new PROM/ Chevy dealer and folks at O"Reilly (where we got the ECM) have no suggestions - other than saying "unavailable". I have contacted several salvage yards. They are willing to match the ECM part number but will not open the case to check the PROM number Thanks again
Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #9

Hi there,
Long shot but have you looked at any of the Chevy efi forums. Those guys are burning their own proms so might be able to help you out.
Whilst I'm here,
I bought my 94 TBI coach last October, it had been sat for 8 years and I've gone right through the front end of the fuel system a time or two since then....long story.
Because of the various issues I worked through i had to run the engine many times with the air filter removed (just in the workshop) and I never once saw fuel coming back out of the inlet manifold unless it was because of a backfire.
As a previous poster said the injectors should pulse once at key on and then again when the ECU detects oil pressure.
What I find strange is you say fuel is shooting out of the top of the injectors. I doubt a bad ECU or Prom would cause that issue. I can see how compression due to a stuck valve etc could blow back fuel through the TBI body but other than that it's a strange one.
Any chance you can take a video ?
Keep us posted anyhow.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only way that fuel can spray out of the top of the injectors without the engine running is by leaking past the O rings. If it blows back through the throtle body after the engine is running you could have a (broken valve spring)(burned valve) Both would cause a missfire on that cyl.( resricted catalitic converter) Back presure in the exhaust blowing back through the intake on cam overlap. In this case the engine would not rev up and the vehicle would not run past about 40 mph. Also in those years I have seen the double wall exhaust pipes inner pipe close up and restrict the exhaust. I have made my living as a mechanic and its hard to diagnose a problem over the phone or internet.

Ps: have you checked the fuel pressure, could be to high.(pressure regulator)
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

Kenn y and Speed. Thanks for the responses. As previously noted I will go up to Missouri on 23rd and see where we are. In the meantime will check out the Chevy forums Thanks
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

That system should be the low psi system. When you turn the key to run the ecm grounds the fuel pump for a few sec to prime the system. The ecm then grounds the injector driver and the two injectors pulse one short spray. What I need to know is with the key on and engine off does the fuel pump stay running. If so that is part of the problem.
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #13

BadTurk. I'll check that out next week when I get up there--believe it does but not sure Thanks for the suggestion
Old 08-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Go to www.tbichips.com or on ebay he has them listed as "Towmaster Chip Chevy Truck 454 TBI. Thats where I got my performance PROM for my 96 P30 Itasce w/ 454 stock engine. I got the Stage 1 chip for stock engines. Perked it up and ran better up the hills.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, chevy, p30