Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

1994 National Tropi-Cal 290 Help

Hello All,
I bought a 94 National Tropi-Cal 290 last year and it has been sitting in the storage yard most of that time. I went to start it, and of course the batteries are down. I found the house battery, but can't seem to find the motor battery. When I to start with the motor battery there is nothing, then I hit the Help button for the house batteries and it will barely turn over of click. I recharged the house battery, and need to do the same to the motor battery now. I looked for a place to jump it and can't even find it. Anybody know these particular motor homes? It is a 454 on the GM P30 Chassis. The house battery is on the driver's side, in the nose, easily accessible. The motor battery is a mystery. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mark
SailormanSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You sure thats not your engine battery, and your house batteries under one of the entrance steps?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Seems to be the house battery. When I disconnected it, I lost "house" functions.
I know there is another one hiding somewhere, but it isn't obvious.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try lifting the front edge of your middle step. Thats where the house batteries were on my 2000 Nat Dolphin.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #5

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the help on this one. Found the house batteries under the step, can start fixing a few things now. The motor's battery is indeed the one in the front of the coach, but why they put in a deep cycle battery and attached a load of accessories to it is beyond me. I'll fix that in the near term. I really appreciate the help, saved a lot of crawling around on some very sharp gravel!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

I have the batteries sorted out now. So far I cannot find the house battery cutoff switch. Found the Isolator/solenoid in the storage compartment next to the steps but I've searched high and low for the switch. The "manual" says it is near the door, but no luck on the disconnect switch so far. Any ideas?
Oh, turns out the starter battery was in the compartment under the stairs and the one in the engine compartment and one in the compartment under the stairs are indeed the house batteries. I think previous owner re-wired it because the compartment would only take one large battery and one small one. Seems there has been quite a bit of rewiring and replacement in this thing, so it may be awhile before I understand it all. Thanks much for the help.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
More info here:

National RV Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

tropical battery location

I had a 96 290 tropical and all the batteries were under the entrance steps. But if they aren't follow the battery cables from the starter to the battery and you'll find it.
stud357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national