Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

1994 Winnebago Brave - hot water

My hot water heater and water pump seem to work fine but no hot water comes out any tap. Ideas? I am new to RV's
boverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #2

You can hear the water pump, but how do you know the water heater is working fine? I would start by locating the water heater and making sure the winterizing valves are not bypassed. There are two types of winterizing setups for the water heater. One setup will have three valves and should be like this during normal operation:

The other setup will have only one valve since both input and output of the water heater will have check valves. Should look like this:

Check those first and go from there.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The hot water heat could be By-Pass mode for Winterizing. Had the coach been winterized? If the knobs are closed NO water will be in the hot water tank. Open the Hot water tank door outside and see if Water comes out of the expansion drain, by pulling up the little tab. The pump should be on. If no water is in the tank then check to see if the By- Pass knobs are in the correct position. Hope it is simple as this. I always mark with a marker the correct open and closed position, if they are not already marked.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

Hot Water

Found it! Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

While you are in there, pull and check the anode. It's the water heater's sacrificial lamb. Once you pull it, rinse the inside of the tank with strong water pressure to get some of the junk out. When you reinstall the anode, put some Teflon tape on the threads.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Found one bypass valve. Turned it and cold water came out. So I'm lost again.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

I checked the over flow valve. Hot water comes out. With the water pump on it will build up a trickle of warm water. When I put the hot water heater by pass valve in the other position I get a very strong flow of cold water. I have no clue.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Since you only have one valve that means your WH has check valves. It could be that one of the valves is bad. It sounds like the WH is working since you have hot water coming out of the pressure valve. Can you feel hot water on one of the output hoses from the tank?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Yes I can feel warm water in the pipe.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

1994 Winnebago Brave - Water Heater

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	HW 3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	56625[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I took a couple pictures. Maybe this will be helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HW 1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	56623   Click image for larger version

Name:	HW 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	56624  

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #11

There is an obstruction somewhere and why you have a trickle. I would say the water pump, but since you have cold water pressure it has to be on the output of the WH. What I would do next is disconnect the output hose from the WH to see what kind of pressure you have coming out. If very little, then your check valve is bad.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #12

Just a maybe, there is a mixing valve in the rear of the heater. It could be bad and causing the problem. Good news is it is replaceable. Hope this helps.

Dave
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Move the handle on the By-pass valve several times...... over the years I have had them stick and not open properly. The Previous owner has had this worked on. The white connector on the Right has been added and is a repair Connector. It is Releasable, but pressure will need to be taken of the line. YOu will also need to drain the hot water heater also, to Keep most of the water Outside. The lines will have some water in them so rags are needed if you take them apart.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Since you only have one valve that means your WH has check valves. It could be that one of the valves is bad. It sounds like the WH is working since you have hot water coming out of the pressure valve. Can you feel hot water on one of the output hoses from the tank?
al2ride has it right, a bad check valve on the hot water side is not letting hot water to fixtures. Put it in bypass and water flows to fixtures but it is cold water. Had the same problem, replace check valve and it will be fixed.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, water, winnebago