Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andaRescue View Post
I can live without the Dash A/C the Generator works great on it so if it truly was unbearable while drive I could kick on the second Rooftop A/C unit correct?
Yes while on gen you should not have issue. If it is a 30 amp plug the 2nd ac will only work with the gen running.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

Don't forget to completely flush the brake fluid. And, if the MH has sliding caliper disc brakes (probably front only), clean and lubricate the "sliders" otherwise, you may only have brake pads contacting one side of the rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
You will come to find that is a relative term.

At that age everything rubber needs to be replaced. Ask him for a list of repairs he has done in the last 5 years. If the tires are older then 5 years (and yes I know this goes back to the great tire debate) and you are planning on doing that much driving...plan to replace the tires. They are going to cost you $2k+. How much was it used in recent years? Are all the systems functioning? Does the air on the dash move from the vent to the defrost and back? Does the fridge work? What about roof and engine AC? What do the leveling jacks look like? are the hoses new? and this is all assuming the engine and trans run good and smooth.

And finally how good of a mechanic are you?

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Yes while on gen you should not have issue. If it is a 30 amp plug the 2nd ac will only work with the gen running.
Or on shore power.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
Or on shore power.
Actually no 30amp is only enough to power 1 AC. 2 AC needs to have 50 amp service. Just like mine, if you have 30 amp service (plug & panel) and 2 ac the 2nd ac is wired directly to the generator's 2nd circuit. Therefore the 2nd AC only works when on the gen is running and not on shore power.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #19

On my 30amp RV I can turn on boat AC units at the same time and both FANS will run. However only one compressor will run at time - the 2nd compressor is 'shed' by the controller. When the temp is reached and the compressor shuts down the other compressor will start running, and the process repeats.

Though I don't usually run them that way. I just turn on the one that I want to be cooling, that way I have better control over electric usage.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #20

Wouldn't have thought of the brakes, thanks George! Any other information along those lines is very helpful. I did know about the 30 amp only running one unit and I kind of assumed that if I plugged into a 50 I would be able to get both of them going. Not sure if two are necessary but I'm sure in the summer heat, especially down south, it gets pretty toasty in there.

Thanks for all the info; if anybody has any more, feel free to throw it at me! I'm sure a lot of it will be trial and error, but im ready to take it on.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #21

you just cant plug into a 50 amp service..its totaly different and there are no adapters that do that///
Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
you just cant plug into a 50 amp service..its totaly different and there are no adapters that do that///
There are adaptors to plug a 30 amp RV to a 50 amp receptcal.

It won't help in this situation, because it won't change the wiring.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Well actually there are and you can... it just does not give you any more power. You are still only getting power on one leg. But you can plug a 30 into a 50 outlet using an adapter.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #24

i should have giving better explanation.you can go down not up.. i did know this but i should have known as per question...my bad....
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 97 35' Gulfstream Sun Voyager on a 96 F53 chassis with roughly the same mileage. Bought it used three years ago (real cheap) and here is everything I have done since...

Started with a new rad. Since it was off we did all the rad hoses, belts, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat.
Plugs, wires, cap
Upgraded to two Trojan GC batteries
New PI smart charger/converter
Added a PI surge protector
New transfer switch. While I was doing that, I added a 2000W inverter.
Rebuilt the genny with a new stator, starter, voltage regulator.
Flushed brake lines and put in fresh fluid
Installed a Saf-T-Steer stabilizer
Rerouted the exhaust to the driver side so I could add a blue Ox rear track bar
Ripped out the front carpet and installed vinyl plank flooring (it's just ok)
Two new steer tires (Firestone Transforce AT)
Serviced the tranny with new filter, fluid and gasket (was leaking at gasket)
A few minor roofing repairs (Eternabond tape and Dicor are your friend)
Installed new poly sway bar bushings front and back
New water pump for the fresh water tank
New flush mechanism for the toilet (just started leaking due to its age/brittle)
Put a new flat screen TV in the front
New coolant recovery tank and hose (installed just yesterday)
I have to put a new awning spring in the front of my Carefree (HA!) awning. That's my project for this weekend while we are at the campground and I have my brother's helping hands. 😉

I plan on putting 4 new tires on the rear axle in the spring.

The exterior needs some attention as well and I will probably pay a buddy of mine to clean it up next year...maybe even a paint job.

Power steering can is starting to get a little concerning. Hoses are seeping fluid as well between can and the cooler. Probably tackle that in the spring as well...barely leaking.

So as you can see, there is a lot to owning an older rig. I personally don't regret that...I rather enjoy the challenge of keeping things going. We have gotten a lot of use out of it...dozens of trips and golf outings. I'm fact I am taking some friends to Indy in a couple of weekends for a golf trip. I consider it money well spent on the priceless memories we have made. But I am a pretty handy guy and not afraid to tackle most projects...although most of the serious chassis work I paid a truck shop to do for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck and don't worry...there are a lot of guys like me hanging around here who are willing to help you anytime as best we can. Good community.

Oh and do invest in some sort of road side assistance. Make sure they know it's for an RV. I prefer CoachNet. Bailed me out once in a rear blowout. Worth every penny.

Cheers! 👍

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a