Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

1995 35' Class A - Looking to Buy & need advice

Looking to buy a 1995 35' Gulfstream Sun Voyager, Gas with 65,000 miles on it. Buying from a friend for an unbeatable price. I've never owned an RV before but have done a lot of camping in our Pop-up. I travel for work along with my Fiancée and our 70lb Mutt and we are tired of Packing and unpacking every time a new job starts up. So we figure why not take our home with us. This would mean living in this rig full time in both the north and the south depending on where the job may be.

Any common problems I will face with this make/model? Anything I should watch out for? I took it for a test drive and it ran like a champ. Few cosmetic things on the exterior like the seals on the windshield and Driver/Passenger side windows need replacing (bit of water on the inside front windowsills), a few of the marker lights are out and the vinyl is faded but all in all it seems pretty good. The interior is still perfect condition, minus the classy 90's décor. In its prime it was top of the line, has all the bells and whistles. I Just want to get others opinions before we make the leap. Any info will help.

Thanks,
Josh
2andaRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andaRescue View Post
Looking to buy a 1995 35' Gulfstream Sun Voyager, Gas with 65,000 miles on it. Buying from a friend for an unbeatable price.
You will come to find that is a relative term.

At that age everything rubber needs to be replaced. Ask him for a list of repairs he has done in the last 5 years. If the tires are older then 5 years (and yes I know this goes back to the great tire debate) and you are planning on doing that much driving...plan to replace the tires. They are going to cost you $2k+. How much was it used in recent years? Are all the systems functioning? Does the air on the dash move from the vent to the defrost and back? Does the fridge work? What about roof and engine AC? What do the leveling jacks look like? are the hoses new? and this is all assuming the engine and trans run good and smooth.

And finally how good of a mechanic are you?
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

I guess by unbeatable price I meant he is giving it to me at a price that takes into consideration what I need to fix on it. He has given me a list of items that have been replaced, as well as a list of items that need to be fixed, I'm glad you mentioned that. In the last 3 years the Furnace, HW heater, both roof AC units, Awning to name a few, all have been replaced. I have heard of the "great tire debate," unfortunately I found this out after I took a look at it. So I would have to check and see when they were manufactured. They looked new but I know that doesn't mean much haha

The fridge doesn't work the best and the dash blows air but he said the A/C and heat doesn't work (didn't find out for myself yet). There are a lot of minor things to fix, as well as a few major ones like the fridge, which I expected on a machine almost as old as I am. The previous owner was the type to just take it into the shop anytime something went wrong with it so who knows. I know he only used to it go from job to job, taking it a couple thousand miles at a time. I will be looking at it again soon with better knowledge of what to look for.

Thanks for the info,
Josh
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

I just replaced 6 of the8 tires on my 96 ford gasser for less than 1200.00. Firestone Transforce HT
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #5

The engine AC is going to be $2k. It must be fully replaced as a 95 would be on the old refrigerant assuming you need it for your running conditions. If you only need the heat that is simply replacing the vacuum hoses to get the flaps to work. The fridge, assuming you replace it with a 2 way and not a house fridge will be $2k and the tires if needed will be $2k. All listed on the low side. So that is a min of $6k and those are items that you really can not reduce the cost on unless you just live without them.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

How do you figure 2000.00 on Frig without knowing size ? Could be just a fix first off , secondly they start around 1200.00 for a size you might find in a class A.
Also I just bought tires . Wasn't 2000.00
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

BTW, our dash AC doesn't work either , leaky evaporator . 800.00 repair .
We just use rooftop air .
Old 10-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
How do you figure 2000.00 on Frig without knowing size ? Could be just a fix first off , secondly they start around 1200.00 for a size you might find in a class A.
Also I just bought tires . Wasn't 2000.00
Its a 35' ... I just put in a new Dometic 2652 6cu ft. And that is in a 31'. $1200 plus tax plus shipping. $1500 in plus another $100 for door panels. At a 35' rig it is a safe bet that it has a 8cu ft or more.

As for tires again it is a 35'. That means that at best it has 19.5" or are 22.5" truck tires. To get good ones (19.5) they are $300+ mount/balance/disposal/tax. I just spent $2300 to put on 6 new Continentals. If it has 22.5" they are $400+.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
It must be fully replaced as a 95 would be on the old refrigerant assuming you need it for your running conditions.
I actually take that back. A 95 should be on the R-134a... but then again it might not. Something you want to check. If it is R-134a it would just need a repair and not a full replace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorodifluoromethane
R-12 was used in most refrigeration and vehicle air conditioning applications prior to 1994 before being replaced by 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (R-134a), which has an insignificant ozone depletion potential. 1992–1994 was the time period in which automobile manufacturers started using R-134a instead of R-12. When older units leak or require repair involving removal of the refrigerant, retrofitment to a refrigerant other than R-12 (most commonly R-134a) is required in some jurisdictions (such as Canada), but not in others (such as the USA). Retrofitment requires system flush and a new filter/dryer or accumulator, and may also involve the installation of new seals and/or hoses made of materials compatible with the refrigerant being installed. Mineral oil used with R-12 is not compatible with R-134a. Some oils designed for conversion to R-134a are advertised as compatible with residual R-12 mineral oil.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

1995 35' Class A - Looking to Buy & need advice

My 96 36 ft has 16". He doesn't say if it's ford or Chevy
Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If the chassis is 1994 or newer, the A/C system should be 134-A and would only need repairs, not replace the entire system.
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Well I sure appreciate all the help. Its nice to get first hand information!

It is a Ford with the 454 and I can live without the Dash A/C the Generator works great on it so if it truly was unbearable while drive I could kick on the second Rooftop A/C unit correct? I planned to spend at least $1,500 on a fridge. That is if I cannot find a used one or something along those lines. The tires are just something I'm not going to be able to get around, ill just have to bite the bullet on that one.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

If it's a Ford , it's a 460
GM had 454
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

That's right

Tags
advice, class a