Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
1995 Holiday Rambler Ford F53 460 acceleration issues

My motor home is a 30 foot Holiday Rambler on a 1995 Ford F53 chassis with a 460 engine. My particular issue is that it started initially to bog down excessively during hill climbs. Then after stopping at a light or stop sign, it would not accelerate from a stop. The more you tried accelerated, the worse it tried to go (last time from a stoplight, it backfired and the signal almost changed before we got through it being first in line). At times when fully warmed up, in park and rpm at about 4000, it will surge like the throttle position is changing. It seems to run fairly well on the highway. I have checked the TPS with an analog meter and the voltage is smooth and consistent throughout its travel. (almost 5v with throttle closed down to a bit less than 1v throttle open). The fuel pressure with pin 6 of the diagnostic connector shorted to ground and ignition on is between 37-38 psi. With the engine running at idle it is between 30-31psi. Pressure regulator disconnected from vacuum 37-38. WOT 37-38. These readings are consistent sitting still in park and while driving. The pressure never drops below 30 and never exceeds 38. I have checked the fuel pressure regulator (no fuel coming from the vacuum port with ignition on). New fuel filter (old one was easy to blow through and no junk came out). I used Seafoam spray cleaner in the air intake per instructions on the can (maybe a little difference). I have put 16 oz in the 75 gal tank (1/4 tank) and have put about 40 miles on it (a little improvement). I have checked the contacts on the fuel pump relay (clean and I can hear it operate). I cannot get to the connector on the pump to check the voltage without dropping the tank. It looks like the pump has 3 wires on it (original?). Within the last 1000 miles it has new distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, exhaust manifolds resurfaced, transmission rebuilt (puking fluid when hot). KOEO codes stored is 542 2 times, nothing else. The chart I looked at says "fuel pump open, bad ground or always on--Power / Fuel Pump Circuits". I have no idea how long those codes have been there or if they are induced by jumping pin 6. I have not been successful in retrieving the KOER codes.

Any suggestions as what my problem is?? I know that the fuel pump is a common problem but I would like to know FOR SURE what the problem is BEFORE throwing money at it.

Prospector57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like the torque converter.

canman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
You may want to try to look for any vacuum leaks; vacuum hoses, PCV valve/hose... Or, start checking the electronic's side. (Coils, bad wire, cap) I saw that you have done a tune up, but stuff does happen to new parts too....
1998 Rexhall Aerbus (32') F53-460
stisdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Check for exhaust blockage. I have seen mufflers come apart and tubing collapse. Also if yours has a catalytic converter it may be plugged.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
My name is Mike, I am a retired Ford tech and I will try to help if I can. The first question I would ask is if it does this all the time or is it an intermittant problem ? While it is acting up have you monitored your fuel pressure to see if it dropped off or not when acellerating ? Again bear with me and I will help. Mike
dragvw2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

There is a Ford Chassis Forum that has a load of folks that have seen just about everything on these F53's. A moderator will probably see this and move you over there. I'm not sure how to contact one.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Hey folks, I suppose I am an idiot. I assumed the plug wires were still good because of the low miles on them. They got hot at some point and the spark was firing right through the boots on many, straight to the manifold. STISDAL nailed it!! Thanks to you all for the replies and help. I wanted to ensure that I replied to allow this thread to close.

Prospector57 is offline   Reply With Quote

f53, ford, holiday rambler