Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1995 RexHall Owners

I looked at a 1995 32' RexHall Airbus with 460 Ford and a Kohler Gen set with 450 hours.Slight leak at the steering box and Rt rear axle seal leak.
Has HWH Hydraulic jacks one leaks.
outside looks good not faded to bad,inside very clean.
What MPG and power can be expcted from the 460.
Do the older F53 chassis have any issues I should be looking for?
Or should I look for a later model with the V10.
Any info will be very much appreciated.
Thanks
TR
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

My bounder is on same chassis as the rexhall ,My coach as we use it weighs in around 16,000 lbs. The 460 engine while not a speed demon does an excellent job with the coach. I have never pulled a toad with it but on several occasions I have towed my side by side (1000 lbs approx.) on a 6 x 10 trailer.
I average around 7.5 to 8.5 mpg with coach ,,,,But I always try to keep my speed around 55-60 mph .I purchased my coach a few years back and at the time it had been sitting for several years so many repairs were necessary to get it road worthy.

Parts are readily available and not really expensive for the chassis..
If the coach has been sitting the seals you are referring to, may 'dry' up when you use the coach

Personally I would like to have a newer model coach ,but I 've got a lot of time invested in repair and remodeling mine ,overall coach is in excellent condition and its paid for.
We are "sometimers" so the coach fits the bill perfectly.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

I have a 1993 Holiday Rambler on the F53 chassis. One of the most common failures with age is the in tank fuel pump. They run a couple hundred but labor is high since the tank has to be removed to replace the pump. Other than that you are looking at normal wear items. I get about 6 - 7 mpg. We have towed a Jeep Cherokee, a Ranger PU, and a trailer with two motorcycles. But mostly we take it out for the weekend without towing anything.

I also remembered that there is an issue with the exhaust manifold breaking the bolts. When mine broke I installed a banks kit with headers. I did not see much increase in mpg but it pulled the Jeep a bit better up hills.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the fuel pump. We had a 92 Airex, ran good. Pulled a Camry with no problem. Never any problem with the Tag. The shift cable for the transmission (Birdcaged) broke, Ford no longer had the part, used a shift cable for marine use to replace. My Son still has the RV.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

I have a '97 Rexhall Aerbus, 36' w/tag axle and F53 chassis. We love it and have not had any problems. We don't drive it a lot and use it primarily for short distances to the lake on weekends. 460 runs very smoothly and I do try to keep it maintained. I bought it used and put a lot of cleaning and polishing into it and it came out like new. I'd buy another one.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for all your input.
I going to look at a1997 RexHall with a banks system on a 460 ford.
It has 67k on it.
Any one have this system on there 460 Ford? and does it help with MPG?
Tom
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

As stated I do have the complete Banks kit for my motorhome. I did not notice any significant difference in MPG. However I did notice that I could pull the Jeep better on hills and in general pull hills better. On the MPG front I am in the 6-7 MPG range, in theory a 20% increase from 6 MPG would bring me to 7.2 MPG. The driving conditions (hills, traffic, speed, etc) make as much an impact as the projected difference of the Banks (which is listed at 12% increase).

I bought the kit to fix the broken exhaust manifold bolt issue and a general increase of power. I did not expect to save enough fuel to cover the cost of the kit.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Tom
I have a 1995 kountryair with a 460 w/Bank's system professionally installed. The sys has a module for the trans. I get close to. 9 mph if I don't push it. The power is what you will really notice. I can keep up with the best of them.