Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #1

1995 Safari Trek Diesel with the 6.5 Liter GM/Chevy ??

Looking at a 1995 Safari Trek Diesel with the 6.5 Liter GM/Chevy V-8 Front Diesel. Has 74k on it. I don't know anything about these engines? Any info would be great!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 1995 Safari Trek 2830 for ~8 years, with the GM diesel engine. Was a good coach for me. Very roomy for a smaller coach without slides, due to not having a separate bedroom area. We miss the large bath and the ample kitchen space.

There is a wonderfully helpful and content rich site specific to Safari Treks. Suggest you peruse the many years of threads there - a wealth of info. The tribal knowledge of the folks there is nothing short of incredible.

TREK Tracks
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi SuperDad,

The 6.5 diesel (and its 6.2 predecessor) was a decent and economical engine in the GM pickups. Not near the bulletproof quality of the Cummins or Powerstroke but no worse than the GM gas engines. Depending on the size & weight of the Safari you might find it to be lacking power for the weight it needs to pull. The only issues I'm aware of are the Stanadyne injections pumps had a high failure rate when the diesel fuel got reformulated to low sulfur. Replacement pumps were upgraded to accomodate.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I've had two Safari Treks and learned a great deal from the Trek Tracks group mentioned above. Seems to me there was concern about overheating the 6.5 - you might ask about that if you join that site. Great vehicles as far as I'm concerned.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Superdad,

We bought a new 1995 2430 6.5 Diesel Trek, and drove it for 137,000 miles. As I have documented in Trek Tracks, the injection pump was troublesome, and the engine had a tendency to easily overheat. In mountain driving, I had to limit speed based on the aftermarket temperature gauge (the GM dashboard temperature gauge read 20 - 30 degrees too low). Driven lightly, some owners have had very good luck with the 6.5 engine. We towed a 5000 lb car trailer and, in retrospect, this was too heavy a load for the engine.

In 2009, we bought a used 1999 Trek with the Chevrolet 454 V8. This has significantly more power, and gas mileage is only about 1MPG less than the diesel.

If you are at all serious about buying the Trek, I highly suggest researching the Trek Tracks website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi SuperDad,

The 6.5 diesel (and its 6.2 predecessor) was a decent and economical engine in the GM pickups. Not near the bulletproof quality of the Cummins or Powerstroke but no worse than the GM gas engines. Depending on the size & weight of the Safari you might find it to be lacking power for the weight it needs to pull. The only issues I'm aware of are the Stanadyne injections pumps had a high failure rate when the diesel fuel got reformulated to low sulfur. Replacement pumps were upgraded to accomodate.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

If this is the same diesel GM installed in their trucks, I would not mess with the turbo pressure at all. Against many recommendations by a few of us at work, a guy raised the turbo pressure a few PSI. A week later, the crank broke in two. Cant say it was related but cant say it was not either.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, diesel