Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #15

Thanks for the information. DeleawareBob, we have started reading about the diesel pushers and are leaning towards them, although don't think we can move up to a 2000 model on our $15,000 to $20,000 budget. At 34 feet is yours a pusher? MPG is great. What is the engine, name, HP and the transmission? Do you tow anything with it? If pusher, side radiator or rear radiator? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2000 Hol Rblr Ambassador

Fighter: Our 2000 34' HR Ambassador is a rear engine diesel. Radiator in the end. The motor is a Cummins 5.9L turbo at 260 hp. Roadmaster chassis. Allison 1000 5-sp trans. I've only been towing a light trailer with a golf cart so far, but am now having a toad hitch installed to pull our little '12 Honda Fit car. Also, about to pull out carpet and replace with luxury vinyl tile (wood grain). My earlier mileage comment was for good days. Hilly or windy days can drop it to 10 mpg. Next big project will be to overhaul the old TV/dish setup and make use of new LED flat screen(s).

Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #17

DelawareBob, sounds like a great set up. The best of two worlds. Adequate power and decent MPG. Yes the TV for the grand kids will be a challenge. Most of the older MH we see for sale have the older, boxed in, analog TVs. They will have to go.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
'97 was the last year for the old 460 (7.5), there were no '98 F53 chassis built so a '98 motor home will be on a '97 chassis. The '99 was the first year of the V10 and Ford did have problems----------Quote

Not necesarilly so.
I purchased my 1998 32 HR Vacationer brand new, I took delivery sometime before July or so of that year. It was built on the 1999 F53 V/10 chassis. Holiday rambler dropped the old 460 chassis mid year, or earlier of 98, so when looking at the 1998 models you can have a mixed bag.
I had a 1998 model Vacationer on a 1999 chassis.
RaN like a top, finally sold it years later at 60,000 plus miles. Had to take it in for a leaky brake cyls. one time and a few recalls from Ford for some minor issues
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #19

RCtime do you think the year/chassis situation was just in the HR models or would it cross over into some of the other manufacturers lines?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our last coach was a 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32 CG with no slides, and no Jacks. It was a very well built coach and the only major issue we ever had was with the Onan generator. Quality of the construction was excellent, fit and finish was very good.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
RCtime do you think the year/chassis situation was just in the HR models or would it cross over into some of the other manufacturers lines?
I think it would cross over, depending of course of the inventory of the 460 chassis of any particular manufacturer.
I remember Demartini, the dealer who I purchased it from calling me and said a whole trainload of the new chassis were being sent back to the factory in Mexico, for some defect or left something off and put my arrival date of my new coach back 2-3 weeks.
My wife said we picked it up in the Springtime so, any particular manifacturer would have to have quite an inventory, or run out their inventory and all new V/10 chassis were labeled the 1999 models.??
Funny, I had a 1998 series HR Vacationer, When my pink slip arrived it was labeled a 99.
When the NEW 1999 HR Vationers arrived they were the same I think except for different graphics on the outside, new different upholstery and minor stuff, however right in there somewhere they introduced the vacationer with slideouts. Mine did not have them.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
although don't think we can move up to a 2000 model on our $15,000 to $20,000 budget.
If you're really going to travel in it, my advice is to hold out for that diesel, even at $5-$10k more...

We have a 99 Vacationer, V10. It had airbags added, steering stabilizer. In pretty good shape. 32'.
Good things about the V10:
1) It's inexpensive and easy to find someone to service it.
2) pretty easy to get at

Not-so-good:
1) Power isn't great compared to a diesel.
2) The 4-speed really needs to be a 5-speed.
3) Early models had spark plug issues - so you need to be very careful when changing the plugs. Otherwise plugs can blow out.
4) It can get hot with that V10 in the floor in the summers
5) 6-9 mpg, realistically

It rides a like a truck and can be a handful (F53 chassis). My wife won't drive it.

I've owned one other class-A gasser and the HR is a step up. They seem to be pretty well built on the coach side and Monico has good customer service.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #23

HR gas

Yes we are holding out for diesel. Had to adjust budget upward but feel it will be worth it since it is a one time, long time investment.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #24

96 Holiday Ramblers 32 ft

Hi, I plan to take family to Yellowstone this summer for 2 weeks. After finding out renting from Cruise America is going to cost me ~$4K, I decided that I should look into buying a used one so I can use it for many family trips to come. I've never driven an RV before. This would be my very first one!

Just saw a 96 HR basement model with 56K miles on Craiglist asking for $9800. Two questions:

1. Is this a reliable model?
2. Is it priced resonable?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

I owned a 95 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE. Great, well built motorhome. I sold mine with 105000 miles last spring for $15000. If its in good condition $9800 could be a good deal. Check the tires and appliances thoroughly.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought a 1996 HR--F-53 chassis--460FI--last Sept. We love it --well built--runs great---we had the systems gone over, tune-up, lubed, changed oil and trans fluid, serviced the generator---the only problems we have had was had to replace alternator. We have done other things, and spent about 3,000 after inital purchase price of 7,ooo- at this time--we dont want or need anything else.Good idea to look at the tires and replace if needed,go over everything--get roadside service(Good Sams) and enjoy --Vince
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Hi, I plan to take family to Yellowstone this summer for 2 weeks. After finding out renting from Cruise America is going to cost me ~$4K, I decided that I should look into buying a used one so I can use it for many family trips to come. I've never driven an RV before. This would be my very first one!

Just saw a 96 HR basement model with 56K miles on Craiglist asking for $9800. Two questions:

1. Is this a reliable model?
2. Is it priced resonable?

Thanks a lot for your help!
HR's that age are generally good buys. What will make or break the deal is condition. Without a solid handle on that, whether or not the price is reasonable will remain to be unknown?

Watch for delaminated (bubbled) walls and ceilings. I'd simply move on to the next if I found any of that. Next it would be age of tires, leaking exhausts, appliances that don't work, etc.

Best of luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #28

For what it's worth, Holidays won't delineate because the skin is aluminum.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas