Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

1996 454 exhaust question

On our last trip out to Branson, the donut exhaust gasket between the exhaust manifold and the Y pipe blew out on the right side of our 1996 P30 454. My question is "why does it have springs on each of the 3 studs?" I had a 74 454 Chevelle and I don't remember any springs on it's exhaust.

I've sprayed down each stud and nut with PB Blaster 2 times the last couple days and I've got 2 of the 3 loose. The 3rd one won't even budge yet and I don't want to twist off the stud. I guess I'll spray it down again and try again tomorrow.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Springs act as spacers so you don't overtighten, harm gasket, if you have torch, fast heat nut, careful of fire with all oil you sprayed, good luck!

Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

Yea I wish I had a torch. Would sure help. If I can't get that last one loose, I'll have to take it to an exhaust place and let them replace the donut gasket.

Just seems to me that those springs let it come loose a little and were part of the reason it blew out.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

Go down to your local hardware store and pick up a propane torch for $20.00. They are great for lighting a fire at the camp site, lighting your BBQ in the wind and it will probably loosen your nuts.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
The springs let the motor move without ripping the exhaust pipe apart. (I made the mistake of direct bolting the pipes on a customers truck once lol) Heat is a must have. If the bolt goes all the way through the manifold it may be easier to just break them and get some new bolts and springs.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
Go down to your local hardware store and pick up a propane torch for $20.00. They are great for lighting a fire at the camp site, lighting your BBQ in the wind and it will probably loosen your nuts.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

Update. I went ahead and took it to a repair place close by. They found that besides the blown exhaust donut on the right side, the left manifold was cracked in between all ports and warped bad. I went down and got a new manifold for them but then they told me that 3 of the 8 studs on the left side were broke and had been that way for some time. His shop is backed up so I had him just put it back together with the new left side manifold, gasket and new donut gaskets. He said that it's not leaking for now.

If it's been running ok with the 3 bolts broke for who knows how long, I figured it will be ok for us to take on vacation next week. He said to bring it back when we get back and he'll drill out the 3 broke ones.

Drove it home and it's still quieter than it's been for a long time even with the broke bolts.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Cracked manifolds and broken studs are very common on the 454 and Fords 5.4, I have done lots of them. I have found it easiest to cut the heads off all the bolts and remove the manifold. the heat lets the studs come out easily. For the snapped ones I weld a 5/16 nut on them and they come right out. Drilling them never works (I think they are stainless). Good luck.

Tags