Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

1996 Damon Intruder

Just bought a 1996 Damon Intruder 460 Ford engine I have the following questions:
1. I pd, $ 16900,00 for it. 32000 miles. inside like new. Im not sure of all the extras it may have. But NADA price about $8900.00 However my credit union loaned me $14,600 to buy it. You cant find this unit anywhere for 8900.00 (and thats) hi retail price. What gives here anyhow? And why the large difference between NADA and the dealer, Credit Union seems ok with the loan regardless what NADA says,
2. what type of transmission (Ford engine) salesman says he thinks it is a Ford. Could I be lucky and gotten Allison or is that just for diesels ?
3. What are your opinions on this Coach.
4. Salesman says keep it at 60mph and you shoild get 10mpg..
Thanks in advance for your answers
Don
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will try again... The Allison transmission bolts to the back of a GM engine, it was designed to mate with the GM engine and though you can use and adapt-a-kit to make it fit fords,, that's not how they build 'em.. They bolt FORD transmissions to FORD engines.

The good news is that the transmission is not the RAD (Short for Reverse Always Dies) this is a 4-speed stick shift used on, among other tings, mustangs... And it is PART of the reason I do not like Fords.

The other good news is there is nothing wrong with the transmission Ford used on motor home chassises, it's not an Allison true... but then there is nothing that quite matches Allison. But it is still a good reliable transmission if it is properly maintained.

The bad news here (And this applies to the Allision as well) is that most folks do NOT properly maintain a transmissin.

I'd go for tranny service (Routine, not major) ASAP.

The Technician can explain it to you. And again this is not a Ford issue, it's an automatic transmissin (ANY MAKE) issue.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

We couldn't find NADA either

I don't know much about your specific coach. However, last year we were looking at coaches in the mid '90s and found that generally in good condition for both engine and chassis they were no where near the high retail NADA but were alot higher. We bought our '94 from a private party and have been happy with it. Generally your price for what you bought sounds in line with what we were seeing from dealerships but hard to comment on specifics as you don't mention what it has and the condition of all the systems.

Did you get an inspection by an independent mechanic? If not do so right away. I don't know about your rights if you already bought it but it is worth doing before you have any work done so you know what, if anything you need to have done to it. Also if you have a 24 hr cancellation or anything like that you could take advantage of it.

Congratulations on your new coach!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Will try again... The Allison transmission bolts to the back of a GM engine, it was designed to mate with the GM engine and though you can use and adapt-a-kit to make it fit fords,, that's not how they build 'em.. They bolt FORD transmissions to FORD engines.

The good news is that the transmission is not the RAD (Short for Reverse Always Dies) this is a 4-speed stick shift used on, among other tings, mustangs... And it is PART of the reason I do not like Fords.

The other good news is there is nothing wrong with the transmission Ford used on motor home chassises, it's not an Allison true... but then there is nothing that quite matches Allison. But it is still a good reliable transmission if it is properly maintained.

The bad news here (And this applies to the Allision as well) is that most folks do NOT properly maintain a transmissin.

I'd go for tranny service (Routine, not major) ASAP.

The Technician can explain it to you. And again this is not a Ford issue, it's an automatic transmissin (ANY MAKE) issue.
HUH?
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Just bought a 1996 Damon Intruder 460 Ford engine I have the following questions:
1. I pd, $ 16900,00 for it. 32000 miles. inside like new. Im not sure of all the extras it may have. But NADA price about $8900.00 However my credit union loaned me $14,600 to buy it. You cant find this unit anywhere for 8900.00 (and thats) hi retail price. What gives here anyhow? And why the large difference between NADA and the dealer, Credit Union seems ok with the loan regardless what NADA says,
Don't know why NADA is saying $8900, that sounds like what a dealer would pay at auction, not retail. Sounds like you paid an 'OK' price from a dealer.

Quote:
2. what type of transmission (Ford engine) salesman says he thinks it is a Ford. Could I be lucky and gotten Allison or is that just for diesels ?
Transmission is Ford 4-speed automatic. Good tranny but no Allison.

Quote:
Decent coach but not 'high-end' by any definition.

Quote:
4. Salesman says keep it at 60mph and you shoild get 10mpg.
You can always tell when a Salesman is lying . . . His lips are moving. Expect about 7-8mpg. You might see 10 going downhill with a tailwind.

Quote:
Don
Enjoy your new motorhome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
HUH?
Are you asking about the transmission service.

Automatic Transmissions, like engines, need occasional oil and filter changes.

Many, in fact most, do not do this. And as a result the transmission fails far sooner than if they had.

If you are talking about the 4-speed RAD stick shift.. I owned one once, it's part of the reason I don't like Ford.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #7

forgot to add

This coach also has the Banks exhaust system. Apparently the dealer didnt know this but I found warranty and receipts in with all the papers that came with it. The dealer said no Banks system but I checked and sure enough its there. I would suspect if he knew it had Banks he might have asked more than 16.9 Will someone please explain why the Banks system is so good. I know (have heard) they are about $3000.(labor included)
Thanks for all your input.
Don
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The online NADA book is based on average depreciation and not actual market values. Basically they just reduce the MSRP by a fix percentage every year, so it can get unrealistic over time. In a 15 year old RV, condition is everything.

There is another NADA book that dealers and banks use that has numbers that better reflect to market. You can get that book too, but there is a subscription price. Your local library may have it in its reference section, though. Ask them.

$16.9k sounds really high to me for a 96 Intruder, but you seem to be happy and that's what's important.

As for the coach itself, it's a decent, low-mid range gas coach and fairly typical of a mid 90's gas Class A. The transmission is a Ford E4OD, coupled to a Ford 460 V8. A very solid combination, especially with the Banks, but you will be lucky to see 8 mpg. And on steeper grades, expect it to drop into 2nd gear and rev up high while it SLOWLY climbs the hill. Four forward gears just aren't enough to keep that 460 in a comfortable RPM range under heavy loads. But its not going to blow up on you, even if it sounds like it.

We had a 96 Southwind on a Ford chassis with the full Banks system. It significantly improves exhaust flow, help air intake a bit, and alters the transmission shift points for better performance with heavy loads. On that engine you get more horsepower & torque and maybe a bit of fuel economy too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #9

Dash radio

In a 1996 Damon Intruder the fuse box is in the lower (I mean LOWER) left hand corner under the dash. How in the hell do you get to it because the steering post and seat are so close together unless your really really skinney theres no way you can reach it. Do I have to remove the seat ? Ye gads who thought that one up? Also I need to get to it because my radio doesnt work. The connection either came loose or a blown fuse, Also does anyone know what the color is of the hot wire coming to the dash radio. Ive checked voltage on the red wires but get all kinds of crazy readings. Thanks Don
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #10

I feel your pain Don. I have a 96 Ultrasport and the dash radio doesn't work until I put the battery disconnect switch to the disconnected position, and then it works only sometimes. I still havent figured out what that switch does other than that. And, like you, I get funny voltage readings.

And fwiw, my 454 got just less than 10 mpg one time, slight down hill, no wind at 60mph. Averages around 8 on longer trips.
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

Jerry

Hi Donand Max. I name is Jerry. I bought a 96 35 ft. Damon a little over a yr ago. Mine is a 460 Ford with a C-6 tranny. I paid $17.000 for mine. I really like it. I'v had to repair a few things due mostly to not being used enough. The problem I have is I didn't get any manuals with it so don't know what fuse is for what. I have been trying to find someone with a picture of the fuse boxes telling what the fuses are for. If you have the manual I would like to talk to you. Thanks, Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
4. Salesman says keep it at 60mph and you shoild get 10mpg..
Don
JerryVFR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

Hi Don and Max,i bought a 1997 Damon Intruder with a 13 ft slide here in Florida,it says 34-7 so i guess they call it a 35 ft MH.It is pretty much rock solid,460 ford on a Ford chassis with 13,800 miles which isnt always that good which means it sat around alot.I have had a few issues also which is to be expected,but very happy with it.I have a box full of manuals with it from the owners manuel to the kitchen taps.If i can help you with the manual info let me know, i would be happy to help you also Jerry
Paul
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
HUH?
I think the post went into the wrong thread,, Happens sometimes. Sorry, Just ignore it here.

Oh, on the Damon Intruder.. I am sitting in a 2005 just now.

Nice rig.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

JerryVFR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plymouth View Post
Hi Don and Max,i bought a 1997 Damon Intruder with a 13 ft slide here in Florida,it says 34-7 so i guess they call it a 35 ft MH.It is pretty much rock solid,460 ford on a Ford chassis with 13,800 miles which isnt always that good which means it sat around alot.I have had a few issues also which is to be expected,but very happy with it.I have a box full of manuals with it from the owners manuel to the kitchen taps.If i can help you with the manual info let me know, i would be happy to help you also Jerry
Paul
Hi Mr Plymouth. Do your manuals show a picture of the fuses and tell what they are for? I can fix most everything if I know what I am looking at. My E-mail address is jeromem9@q.com. Thank you. Jerry
JerryVFR22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon