Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
1996 F53 chassis - Has anybody found a good deal on a aluminum radiator?

I am replacing my radiator and would like to go with a aluminum version but they are so over priced. Any other aftermarket radiator isn't nearly as much as for the motorhome. I guess they know they have us in the corner with there vehicles.

460ci. 7.5L

d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
It wount hurt to check it out.

If you do not want to buy a new one then take it to a Radiator Shop and they will take out the old core and put in a new one using your old frame. I did it once with an old car years ago.
I saved a few bucks at that time.
Just a thought.

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
I am replacing my radiator and would like to go with a aluminum version but they are so over priced. Any other aftermarket radiator isn't nearly as much as for the motorhome. I guess they know they have us in the corner with there vehicles.

460ci. 7.5L
Well Sir,
Is there some particular reason you want an aluminum one? A short story. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It's on a Freightliner chassis. Approximately 4 years ago, I developed a leak in the cooling system. It was very difficult to locate the leak. A rear radiator diesel coach has its limits on visual abilities. Well, based on other issues I was having i.e. clogged radiator fins and charge-air-controller fins, and the fact that I was having a leak, it was time to pull that radiator.

Well, it turned out that the radiator was aluminum and basically corroded in the lower left corner. Well, out came all of it. I took it to a radiator repair shop and, they laughed. I said, isn't it repairable"? The shop manager pointed to a shelf that had well over 30-40 aluminum radiators that could not be repaired. He stated that it was quite normal in my kind of situation.

So, a new one, from Freightliner was/is $1,750.00 and takes approximately three weeks to get. He looked at his computer and, within 1-2 minutes, he found an exact replacement in COPPER/BRASS that would fit my frame. I asked about the cooling efficiency vs Aluminum ones. He stated THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. But, he also stated that at least the Copper/brass ones are much more easily repairable.

And, the really good part(s), it was only $1,200.00 and, what was really, really good, he could have it for me, THE NEXT DAY!

That radiator has been in our coach now for 4 years now and is and has been, working flawlessly ever since. The temps displayed on multiple displays I have, all jive together and it's been consistent.

So, moral of the story, again, I'm not sure why you'd like an aluminum one when a copper/brass one will do just fine and, as you already know, are much cheaper and way more available. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote

chassis, f53, radiator