Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

1996 Gulfstream Tourmaster.

I just spotted a 96 Gulfstream Tourmaster Anniv ed. parked a few miles from my home. It has no slide out but the layout is open and comfy. Generally speaking looks well maintained and clean.
Cummings 400 turbo. Allison 6 spd elec trans. with jake brake, some of the instrument panel in the cab area looked pretty well worn but it is a 96. Has side/side fridge, washer/dryer combo thing, shower with tub. I could care less of the tub but wifey would likey!! 2 a/c units. 7k Genny.
I would have it inspected by someone smarter that I for sure. I tried to find the date on the tires but forgot how to identify the month/yr of production. (someone Petro I think? told me its in the identity info on the sidewall)

A few spots appear to have a bit of a bubble/wave look on some of the doors. Paint is all intact but sure what that may be?? Early rust from behind??

It has 55000 miles asking $38,000. Any input? ( not listed anywhere yet so no pic's)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
On the sidewall of the tire you should find a rectangular box with four digits. The first two digits are the week of the year (second two digits) the tire was manufactured. The bubbling is probably what is called delamination; the separation of the materials making up wall and/or compartment doors due to water intrusion breaking down the glue used to bond everything together.
I would recommend you do lots of research on what you want to do with a coach, which one will compliment that lifestyle and then look for a coach that will interest you. Have it inspected and if this is the one you are interested in, offer them $ 25k.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply RV Wizard!!
The tires I have in Q have the rectangle box and no marks at all. Possibly on the interior where I cant see IT??
I like the 25K idea but doubt they will. Still not convinced if it is right for us. Like the layout but the white leather may be a bit to keep looking white!! as well the 400 cummings is probably nice for all that power but is it possibly overkill thus causing a higher cost to run??
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
400 hp isn't overkill, a smaller engine will get about the same mileage. $38k is high for a '96, $25K would be top $$ I'd pay for the unit. Check it out very carefully and test every system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

I think the seller thinks the anniv.edition makes it worth the added $$, two of you now say 25k at the most to pay so if I pursue I will start with the 25K to see if he will even entertain that, then onto inspections. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

I would question the 400 hp Cummins. I believe most coaches that size and era have the 8.3L Cummins C model which was rated at 300 hp. If it does have the 8.3L C model I doubt if it has a true jake brake; it most likely has an exhaust brake which is much different.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #7

Question Jake break

I have 1994 Gulfstream Friendship, 40', Cummins C8.3, with exhaust brake. My understanding is that was pretty standard for Gulfstream in that era. I had to replace my exhaust brake at 50k miles, but mostly because it rusted out. New exhaust brake is about $1,000.

Tires are critical. Just put two new steering tires on for $1100+. Pre-2003 there may not be a standard code on the tires. Mine were 2002, but I didn't know that because there wasn't a code on the outside of the tires. Got info when we took them off.

You need to verify how other systems function. I've done extensive remodeling and retrofitting on almost everything. Roof top a/c units, rubber roof, toilet, electrical converter, etc. You are coming up on 20 years on things that are designed to last 10 years at most.

I paid $36,000 for my Gulfstream 10 years ago and have spent a lot since to make our coach workable. $25k might be a pretty generous offer.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #8

Good to know. The panel states Jake brake on the switch. That appears factory equip. Possibly due to the anniv. edition???
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Gerard View Post
Good to know. The panel states Jake brake on the switch. That appears factory equip. Possibly due to the anniv. edition???
The name "Jake brake" is often used for either one; an actual jake brake is internal to the engine and expensive, it is standard equipment on the newer Cummins 15L ISX engines. I can't say for certain but I doubt a Jake brake was ever installed in the Cummins 8.3L C model. Jacobs Intebrake | Jacobs Vehicle Systems and Cummins

The exhaust brake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust system which when activated restricts the exhaust which does help with braking.
Supplemental Brakes | Pacbrake

Tags
gulfstream