Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
1996 Itasca Suncruiser 77,000 miles?

Looking at one in pretty good shape, but the mileage seems high. Anybody know how long the model with the Ford 460 V8 should go before starting to have real trouble? Thanks, I'm a newbie here, let me know if I posted in the wrong place...

BobG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Your post is in as good a spot as any. Only the Ford Chassis forums would be a tiny bit better.
20 year old coach with 77,000 miles , is only 3,700 give or take, a year, properly maintained and not overworked, the 460 should go 150,000 with no internal issues.
Are there service records available ?

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
It depends on how well he previous owner stuck to the recommended chronological service intervals rather than the mileage-based ones. If an oil change is recommended at 5000 miles or 12 months, an owner doing 2000 miles a season may ignore the recommended chronological interval.

We had that problem on our 8-year old rig with only 12,000 miles on the clock. We couldn't get a reliable account of its service records, so we just swallowed hard and hoped for the best. Four years of our ownership, racking up another 6000 miles, with regular servicing, we didn't have any issues.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
I purchased a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser, on the Ford chassis with the Banks System, when it was five years old. It was a reliable rig, that I then fulltimed in for five years. I sold it when it was ten years old.

The V8 engine should be fine if it had adequate maintenance. I would be more concerned with any roof, seam, or window leakage in a 96 as it is 20 years old. Also, they were known for areas of fiberglass delamination on the exterior panels. One more, the auto transmission could overheat, especially in reverse. Check for burnt transmission fluid.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Thanks, Skip, Frank and George. I'll check the Ford chassis forum. The owner did haul a toad with it, a Jeep Wagoneer, and I suppose that would put some wear on the tranny so I'll check the ATF and check out the reverse as suggested. Definitely will want to see a good maintenance record, and if the documentation isn't there I'll walk away. So far it seems OK, but the proof will be in the looking and driving. Still concerned about the possibility of a transmission rebuild somewhere down the line, will do some more resarch on life span of those. It's really great to hear from you all, just having the input and information you've passed along is reassuring - I don't feel like I'm working in the dark here, and I really appreciate it. Take care,

BobG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
As a former Ford chassis owner, I'd agree that the 460 if properly maintained should be just fine for many more miles. As they mentioned, 77k is exceptionally low mileage for a 20 year old RV. As you consider it, be sure to take a look at the DOT date codes on each tire as they are probably very old and need to be replaced. I'd be as concerned about the RV part as the chassis, if not more. You should plan to change all fluids and an oil analysis on the engine and transmission would be a good idea as well. You need to look very closely at all places where it may have leaked as that can destroy the framework of an RV in far less than 20 years. I suggest that you also make use of a good inspection check list as you look it over and perhaps consider having it checked by a mechanic and a mobile RV tech.

Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

itasca, suncruiser