Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
(Newbee) we just bought a 1996 Winnebago warrior 30 rq

Hello, I'm a newbie. My wife and I just bought our first motor home its a 1996 Winnebago warrior. although I have had a slide in camper it was just for hunting, and this motorhome is a whole different animal. I have a few questions if you great people wouldn't mind helping me out I would be so thankful.

Does the house battery charge along with the starting battery from the engines alternator?

Does anyone know of a inexpensive RV service facility in Maryland that does good work?

And can anyone give me some good tips on driving this thing with a strong steady crosswind? Along with any other good tips for new motor home owners would be appreciated.

FlyingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Does the house battery charge along with the starting battery from the engines alternator?

Yes, they are all tied together (or should be) and when the engine is running, or plugged into shore power, they will all be charged. If your RV is equipped with a solar panel (usually on the roof top) it will be charged by the sun, unless it is covered.
On a side note, don't take a battery connection for granite, remove every cable, wire brush cables and post, spray with BATTERY CORROSION PROTECTANT aerosole, available @ NAPA, you won't be sorry.
Enjoy yourself and just don't try to keep up with the traffic, you don't need to run 70/75 mph in a motorhome. I drive @ 58/62 safely and get there in one piece. Don't worry about crosswinds, just take your time and watch the road in front of you, the 18 wheeler's won't hit you, just gets kinda close, don't look @ them and you will be ok. JMHO and travel safe and good luck.
david g.

USAF 1959-1963/ JFK Innaguration parade 1961,
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y, 460 ENGINE on FORD chassis, Power Platform with Tag Axle.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
FYI, it's been my experience that not all chassis batteries charge when plugged into shore power.
2015 Thor Outlaw 29H Class C Toyhauler
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Toad
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Thank you for the tip's, I found that my starting battery was bad and was draining the house battery. So needles to say it was replaced. Now I need to search the forum for an easy and economic way to charge the starting battery when plugged into shore power.
FlyingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
FYI, it's been my experience that not all chassis batteries charge when plugged into shore power.
Mine does charge the chassis batteries when plugged in. You may want to look into a battery isolator.
'92 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. Tweaked 5.9 Cummins, complete interior makeover (previous owner).
Coaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Hmm, well the isolator is what keeps the chassis battery separated from the coach batteries on my old itasca. They're only joined when the momentary switch is used to start the engine with the house batteries), assuming the chassis battery is dead. I 'think' it's working the way it should. Like most chassis batteries, there are a few small drains that will run it down over time if the engine isn't ran (ie chassis battery charged by the alternator) or a trickle charger isn't used.

To the OP, in any case, I just hook my chassis battery to a trickle charger if I'm going to be parked for any length of time. You could even wire once of these up to work of the MH when plugged into shore power.
2015 Thor Outlaw 29H Class C Toyhauler
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Toad
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
FYI, My winnie is a bit older than yours but I have a switch on my dash that allows me to charge the house batteries from the alternator or connect them momentarily for starting the engine in the even of a dead battery. The switch is a rocker type which is marked both on one side and MOM on the other. If this is not set to both, then my house batteries will not charge from the engine alternator.
Network Engineer/Airbrush Artist in Tampa, FL
2006 Pilgrim Open Road 357RL & 1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
airbrushguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 96 Warrior 30 RQ.
The chassis battery was not charged by shore power. The chassis battery would discharge in three weeks or so if the engine wasn't ran due to keep alive current drain for the engine computer, radio and other stuff.
I bought a Battery Minder float charger that kept the engine battery up as long as I was connected to shore power. It is now in my present motor home.

I had some front end parts replaced and an alignment done and it drove fine. There are two bell cranks on the front end that tend to wear and can cause a lot of wander. That is something to check.

You get wiring and plumbing diagrams HERE from the Winnebago web site.

A brochure for your Warrior is available HERE

You can download a service manual HERE

On mine the RV park cable input was not easy to find. The original owner showed it to me. It is in the service bay on the left side on the ceiling.

The vehicle owners manual described how to set the pressure in the airbags. In case you don't have the manual this is what mine said:

The owner’s manual gives the following ranges:

4,300 LB front suspensions = 10 psi to 50 psi
5,000 LB front suspensions = 40 psi to 50 psi
5,300 LB front suspensions = 50 psi to 80 psi
5,500 LB front suspensions = 60 psi to 100 psi

For the proper adjustment it says to inflate the air bags to the maximum pressure for your vehicle, load the motor home, park on a level surface and then reduce the air pressure as needed to level the motor home but don’t reduce it below the minimum.

I have seen other schemes for adjusting the pressure per ride quality, but the 1995 Chevrolet Forward Control Chassis owner’s manual said to do it as shown above.

I don't know if it's accurate or not but other posts have said the pressure in the bags affects the alignment and you should have it checked when you get the pressure set. The manual did not mention that however.

Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote