Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
I bought a 1996 Safari Sahara in 2007.

I limited my search to Safaris after seeing the floor plan and interior pictures. As I searched I learned more about the coaches from the SafariFriends Yahoo group. Safarifriends : To promote the exchange of information regarding SAFARI MOTORHOMES.

There are now two such groups, SafariFriends and SafariCoaches.
SafariCoaches : Sharing about Safari Coaches lifestyle

The build quality of those coaches was excellent through the 90s. Safari designed their own chassis in the mid-90s and the bay storage - almost all are pass-throughs - is huge. The chassis was so well designed that Monaco bought Safari in 2001 in order to get that chassis. All cabinetry is solid wood, not veneer over core-board. Appliances are top brands. Styling is very modern - I've been asked in campgrounds if mine is a new model and where did I get the (stock) paint job.

The disk brakes are excellent and Safaris all had standard exhaust brakes (PacBrake). The mid-90s coaches had either spring suspensions or Torsilastic suspensions (rubber torsion bars). The torsion bars are in limited supply but available from either a few Safari owners who bought remaining stock or from Mexico where they are still being manufactured.

My coach has the spring suspension and I'm quite pleased with it. The previous owner moved the generator to the first passenger-side bay and added some ballast weight to improve handling.

The best part was price. About the cost of a new, well-equipped minvan.

Pictures in my signature below.

Ken 1996 Safari Sahara- 3530, 35', CAT 300
Pictures of my coach:
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
There are many newer coaches, Diesel Pushers out there with lower miles. Some times a penny saved is a huge bill further down the road.

SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Good. I've posted why they weren't our choice, but it's valuable to read what owners think of them. Agreed: something different for everyone, according to their wants and needs.

I agree with what you've said about the price and have already told Giant I won't go over 30K if even there for it.

You've intrigued me with the information about the disc brakes which I will definitely check. I'm emailing 3 different people that own these and all are very loyal to them. They have quite a robust forum on Yahoo for owners which is definitely a plus when you have questions. I have to admit the correspondence I've had with people that won these coaches is the biggest plus in their favor. Also our initial inspection was positive and will see what happens Tuesday when we go back for the big inspection with the checklists. Taking my daughter along to help me with that one, she can get into spaces I struggle to get into anymore.

I'll post after the inspection with my findings.

Meanwhile thanks for all the good information and please keep providing anymore you may want to give.

byrsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
I have a 88 Serengeti gas 460.i have not found many other coaches in that era that have all the options like real wood floors solid cabinets factory inverter & solar tile counter tops...no press board walls....just my 02
bill.wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Why is it in this market when you make a fair offer on a coach they turn it down and act like these things are going off the lot so fast they can't get replacements. So frustrating.
byrsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Originally Posted by byrsch View Post
Why is it in this market when you make a fair offer on a coach they turn it down and act like these things are going off the lot so fast they can't get replacements. So frustrating.
Patience, I bet they call you back afterr a couple of days. And, when they do, smile and lower your offer.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040
& 2007 Ford Sports Trac
& 2004 Ford Exploder TOAD's
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Master of Disaster

Originally Posted by byrsch View Post
It seems endemic to the industry. I made an offer on one coach and they acted like I was taking food off their table. 6 weeks later they were calling me back (and advertising the coach for less than I had offered) but by that point we'd moved on...

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #22

Both diesel pushers we've owned we bought on ebay. Craigslist is another good source. I would venture that a large RV dealer is probably the most expensive place to buy. Many people are under the impression that a big dealer offers some sort of guarantee that their coaches are better. That's a myth. Search ebay & Craigslist, get as many photos as possible, and don't be afraid to travel for a good deal. We flew to Portland to look at a Safari Serengeti, although if we had done our homework we should have known it wasn't a suitable coach for us due to the non-air brakes, non-air suspension & rear generator... Hopped back on the plane and flew home. Worked a deal through ebay and flew to Mississippi to get our Journey. Even after all that, we still saved money and got a superb coach. Both coaches were repo's by the way.

This is so totally a BUYERS market. I recommend paying no more than NADA wholesale, and that's for a loaded with options coach in excellent condition. Let the dealers make their money on someone else. There are plenty of fearful buyers that just can't bring themselves to buy on ebay, or negotiate aggressively. Fine, let them spend more money.

You need to buy the best coach possible, at the lowest price possible.

2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote