Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

1997 Holiday Ramber Vactioner total delamination

I have owned 5 motor homes in the past, been looking at them again during the past two months, and never have seen one such as this in such bad condtion. Whole large areas of both sides were separated from the inner structure. I didn't dare climb the ladder to look at the roof, since when I started up I though the bolt structure was goind to pull out. The irony is- I could find no evidence of water leaks inside after looking thru all of the cabinets and the interior sidewalls. Is it possible that it was a bad glue job in construction? We're talking about numerous sections, 4 feet tall and 8 feet long through out the whole coach. I had just convinced myself and my wife we wouldn't find anything like this in Holiday Rambler. I guess the moral of the story is, any of them can be bad, so inspection is critical. This is the first HR I have looked at, but my assumption was it would have a aluminum roof and sidewalls. Is that correct? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm not sure what your question is- if the rig's got aluminum sidewalls, it can't have "delamination"...that's a term strictly relating to fiberglass-sided rigs.

If you have pics of the rig you're talking about it would help a lot!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Im not sure delamination is "strictly" related to fiberglass at all. Since delamination refers to seperation ? I owned a 1995 HR Endeavor LE and the factory replaced one side due to delamination of the aluminum from the Iso insulation.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
If one considers aluminum siding with insulation glued to it a laminated siding, then I guess you're right, Don!

I've always understood "laminated siding" to refer to a process by which various layers of different materials are bonded together to form the siding itself...insulation being a separate add-on.

In that scenario, "delamination" is the separating of the various layers of the siding, usually the outside skin from the often-plywood underlayment.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

HR delamination?

Sides weren't wavy--smooth, but could be pushed in, up to 1/2 inch, they were loose from the firm structure underneath. Moved in an out when you pushed overall deformation was visable.It may not have been delamination in the normal sense but the material was separated from the structure underneath it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd sure like to see pics!

Or is this just something you looked at while shopping around?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

My last 5th wheel was a HR and it had sheet aluminum sides. They would push in and felt like they were loose but that is how they are supposed to feel. Are you sure it was fiberglass?
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

MH is two hour drive, so can't provide pictures unless I go back. I had camera with we, as usual, but was so dismayed with the situation didn't even bother to take any pictures. I think it was aluminum but hard to believe aluminum floats on the sides of the insulation.Would think air could seep in and than moisture develop and aluminum start to corrode, particularly if you live on a bay or the Gulf like we do.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
With aluminum-sided rigs, one wants a little air in the walls...that's part of what provides the insulation, not to mention protection from condensation!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Francesca, interesting point. But how is the aluminum fastened to the frame? Is it glued at the points it touches the aluminum frame, but not to the insulation in between the frame or what ever is inbetween the frame structure? There is such a large area of loose aluminum along all the sides of the motorhome that it suggest to me there was a problem in the fastening method, assuming glue, at construction and over time it has let loose. Either dirty frame, or bad glue, if that is what was used.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #11

I have a 90 HR. Mine is all alum. siding that is rivited to alumaframe(HRs name for it). Rivits are visable on the outside. Know some HR had fiberglass wall as it was an option on the Monitor I have. Stayed away from fiberglass just for the delam problems. A lot of MHs of that era had delam.

fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote