Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
1997 Hurricane - thoughts on purchase?

My wife (+2 young kids) are graduating from a TT to a motorhome. Money is tight right now (ie: wife+2kids ) so I'm looking at older models. I've come across a 1997 Hurricane (not sure if Thor or Four Winds) with a slide for $7750. It has the Ford 460 and chassis; ad didn't specify mileage. I've read here that the Hurricane is a "starter" MH, which is OK with me as I'm pretty handy mechanically and with general repairs. However, I don't want to buy total junk, just something reasonably dependable and comfortable.

So, I'm curious of others' experience with older MHs and/or this brand in particular. I know to check age of tires, batteries, and try to ascertain engine maintenance; but what of overall build quality, problem areas and other feedback. Thanks in advance.

XLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Be careful there are many money pits out there

ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Back in its day there were a ton of Hurricane's out on the road. I would not avoid them because they are listed somewhere as "starter" motorhomes. Today Thor is one of the largest RV companies in the world. Your due diligence on things you stated and knowing what to look for will determine if its worth its asking price. As with any RV and maybe more so with class A's is to check for water leaks and delamination of the fiberglass walls as much as the mechanicals. Good Luck on your hunt.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
I would be very careful to check for delamination. Most mechanical issues can be fixed but the delam is a nasty problem. My 2005 hurricane had this because someone caulked the drain holes under mirrors and the water separated the areas under mirrors. I also had a 92 rock wood MH and removed and repaired large sections of delam only to have it come right back and crack around the patches.
2006 Bounder 38N, C7 Cat
1 wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs
Whitewater, WI
milligsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
I would be leary of a 97 MH for only $7750. It should book for at least $10 to $12K. I would move on. Something isn't right. JMHO
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
I too recently bought a used 97 four winds hurricane for 7500. So far no major issues other than customizations I am making on it. I got lucky, 1 owner with only 13500 miles on unit, very clean. Good luck.
ct101job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Originally Posted by ct101job View Post
I too recently bought a used 97 four winds hurricane for 7500. So far no major issues other than customizations I am making on it. I got lucky, 1 owner with only 13500 miles on unit, very clean. Good luck.
I owned a 95 Hurricane Four Winds Class A and I did not like it. The insulation was very poor, it only had one roof air and in the summer in Georgia we were very uncomfortable. It did delaminate and they were known for it especially around the mirrors up front to the point the mirrors would come loose. It was just a low end motorhome and showed it after a few years.
Roy & Sabine Lyons
98 Itasca 35' Class A Gas with Banks Powerpack
98 Honda CRV Toad
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

Dont get scared away too easily. Check it out. Low price does not always mean trouble!!!

I had a 96 Storm until 2 years ago. I maintained it. Everything still worked and was mechanically sound. It is still out there camping!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Thumbs up

Be sure to crawl under the unit and see how much rust there is. Check the shocks for leakage, same for the generator. Smell the under compartments for a wet or musty smell. Look for rusted screws, take one out. If the screw is rusty all the way. There has been water damage. Walk away. Look in cabinets for water stains, under sinks, etc. Drive the unit for several miles. Look at the LPG tank, is it full. Look for maintanence records and manuals. Check the steering, is it tight or sloppy. Run the a/c unit with the generator. Run the dash a/c unit, is it noisey? Check the mirrors, can you adjust from inside. Does the generator start from inside the coach? If not...why? Hook up the external water source and check for leaks. Make sure to use a water regulator. Turn on the heater, ck to see that it works. Fill the holding tank with water, again are there any leaks. Ck the water pump - does it work? Turn on the hot water heater, is there hot water? When was the oil changed last, coolant too.
Just to name a few.
Hope this helps
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
backdraft, excellent suggestions!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
I bought a 98 fourwinds windsport 2 years ago, no complaints. a few things are pretty cheaply made, mainly cabinets, but overall its great for my family. One area I didn't check out like I should have is the rubber roof, its still watertight but some areas have come unglued underneath the rubber and it inflates like a balloon when its hot outside and the ac is running. going to be a good sized project and investment that I wasn't counting on this early in the game.

redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote

hurricane, purchase