Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hope that solves your issue. Please update us when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #16

The best outcome will be that nothing eventful happens. If the brakes fail again, hopefully I'll be able to update (grin).

Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #17

Dave, you sound like you know what you're doing, but just in case, have you considered using a lower gear in traffic? In some conditions it's not only easier on your brakes, it's just easier to drive.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #18

1998 Bounder - Has Anyone Experienced Brake Failure In Hot Weather?

Sound advice. Oddly enough, my problem occurred during 45 mph stop and go. Numerous lights changing just when you get up to speed. I'll engage your advice when I next encounter bumper to bumper crawl.

My chassis manual probably has the best advice. The next time I begin to feel pedal fade, I'm going to stop for lunch and let everything cool down.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #19

Not tossing this in your face, just planting a mental note, OK? After dealing with a '93 34' HR w/tag on a Chev chassis for a while (pulling a CRV toad), brakes were on my mind when it came time to pick the next coach out. It's one of the bigger reasons I went DP. The air brakes will stop you. Period. No more stress..... even in the big hills/mountains.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Hope that solves your issue. Please update us when you can.

Well, the update is that, so far, the brakes remained firm from Jacksonville, FL to Charleston, SC, to Huntington, WV. I haven't endured stop and go traffic in stifling heat yet. But I expect that the DOT 4 is going to perform better.

Hope everyone are happy campers.

Dave.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I just had the same thing happen after a long pull in the Smokie Mountains, got to the top and no brakes but after cool down no problem. Later in stop and go traffic for over an hour it happened again, after cool down no problem. Is there any information on how to flush the system
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter 45 View Post
I just had the same thing happen after a long pull in the Smokie Mountains, got to the top and no brakes but after cool down no problem. Later in stop and go traffic for over an hour it happened again, after cool down no problem. Is there any information on how to flush the system
Generally you don't apply brakes going up hill, so IF they were hot enough to fail I suspect you may have one or more calipers dragging the pads and over-heating the fluid. Check to see if the hoses are preventing the pressure to release. Regardless, you should replace the fluid with fresh DOT 3. IMO, this not something you should attempt as a DIY project if you don't have experience, no offence intended.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #23

Actually, I suggest you replace the DOT3 fluid with DOT4. In the past, the two were incompatible and there were warnings that the DOT4 fluid would ruin the seals in DOT3 systems. That's no longer a problem. The DOT4 fluid has a much higher boiling point. I haven't had brake fade problems since replacing my fluid.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
The air brakes will stop you. Period. No more stress..... even in the big hills/mountains.
Another entry in the very long list of Famous Last Words by dead people.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #25

You're right. I should have said stop you better....but I think maybe most people got my point?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #26

Air brakes require maintenance like any other brake system. And when they fail it's usually catastrophic. I saw a big truck that had taken a.runaway truck exit In NC. The tractor chassis and trailer had stopped in the deep sand berms but the cab had totally separated a went another 100 feet.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, brake