Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Question 1998 Discovery Fuse Panels

Hi,
I am hoping that someone can assist with this question. We purchased a fairly well maintained 1998 Fleetwood Discovery last summer. The only real issues we have had is the generator - currently pulled and being maintenanced - due to reinstall tomorrow. Of course, the dash A/C does not cool, but that is a problem for another day.

One thing I cannot trace is the overhead fans. The switches do not have power. I have the owner's manual, but there is no real description of the fuse panel. I know that one fuse panel is under the hood on the driver's side firewall. Is there another? Does anyone have a schematic that would describe more detail about the fuses and the relays?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is our first RV, so I am learning.
Windsor

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Those fans are often on the chassis system, so look where the fuses for headlights, turn signals, heater, etc. are found. Sometimes fuse panel is under a lift out section of the dashboard, in a side panel, etc. Check with Fleetwood, or perhaps you can download what you need from here:
Fleetwood RV Parts and Service

What chassis is your RV built on? That can also help clue where the fuse panels are located. Spartan often has a compartment right in front of driver's side front tire that contains electric components.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #3

BFlinn181, thanks for the reply. I am on a Freightliner Chassis. I re-read my OM. Here is a quote: "The 12-volt chassis breaker box is located in the left side rear battery compartment under the front hood on the driver's side." REALLY???

My battery compartment is, indeed, on the left side rear. Obviously, it cannot be under the front hood on the driver's side at the same time.

I will check the fuse box at the battery compartment in the morning. I just wish the OM or even the fuse box itself would show a diagram for the fuses and especially the relays. All of the vehicles I have ever owned did this...except the most expensive and perhaps most complex one...the MH.

Thanks again for your encouraging reply.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Well sir, I guess I wasn't clear. You mentioned finding one fuse panel and your inquiry was, "Is there another?" I was suggesting where others might be located. I would try jumping a good 12 v (+) to the dash fan switch to verify it's not the switch or wiring between the switch and the fans. If they work, renew efforts in tracing the wire from the switch to it's source. It might be powered through a relay controlled by the ignition switch or just a fuse. Freightliner would probably know that information.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Success! You were correct. There are two fuse panels. I think the OM must be missing the word "and". At any rate, you pinpointed it. I found a 15 amp fuse blown. It is labeled "ign alt" or something like that. I am not sure what else it controls, but the fans are working...yeah. There was also a 5 amp fuse blown. I am not sure what it is, but I replaced and will keep an eye on it.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

fuses

hey there I have the same problem, where was this fuse located? which box etc? any pictures would be great.. mine is a 98 discovery as well i looked in the one up front but couldnt find it

Tags
fuse, panel