Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
1998 Fleetwood Discovery

I might get in "trouble" but what's everyone .02 on this:

1998 Fleetwood Discovery

Features:
Cummins 24 Valve ISB5.9 Turbo Diesel Engine with Exhaust Brake
6 Speed Allison Push Button Automatic Transmission
Freightliner Power Platform Chassis
Alcoa Aluminum 22" Wheels
Air Suspension
Air Brakes
Onan 6500 LP Electric Start Twin Cylinder Propane Generator
Factory Installed 2000 Watt Heart Interface Inverter/Charger
Recent Tires, Excellent Condition
Two Large Propane Tanks, One For The Coach, One For The Generator
47,000 miles on New Engine
The Engine was Rebuilt at 175k miles, EVERYTHING was gone through for reliability.
Here is the work that was performed (about $15k invested):
Engine was removed, block bored, honed, resurfaced, magnafluxed etc..
All New Bearings, Seals, Gaskets
New Pistons, New Piston Pins, Circlips
New Cylinder Head
New Injectors
New VP44 Injection Pump
New Lift Pump
New Water Pump
New Oil Pump
New Air Compressor
New Turbocharger
Radiator and Intercooler Leak and Pressure Tested
New Belts
New Tensioner
New Alternator
New Exhaust Manifold
New Oil Cooler
All New Hoses, Clamps, Head Bolts, and other Fasteners
New Brake Linings, Drums, Slack Adjusters

Interior Features:
Fleetwood Super Slideout
Sleeps 6 Adults + 2 Children (3 Queen Beds, Loveseat)
Custom Continuous Ultraleather Couch, makes into two Queen Size Beds
Ultraleather Loveseat
Ultraleather Captain's Chairs
2 Removable Dining Tables
Beautiful Electric Fireplace with Heat and Remote
New Tensioned Day/Night Shades throughout Coach (3 years ago)
New Carpet (2 years ago)
New Composite Floor Tile with REAL Grout from Entry to Master Bedroom (2 years ago)
32" Dynex Flatscreen TV mounted on Custom Upholstered Front Panel
Blu-Ray Surround Sound Player Dolby 5.1 with Subwoofer
In-Dash Pioneer AM/FM/CD with Aux Input from TV plays through Stereo Speakers
Roof-Mounted Satellite Dish Manual Point
Dual Ducted Roof Air Conditioners
Central Ducted Front Furnace
Central Ducted Rear Furnace
Side-by-Side Dometic Refrigerator with Ice Maker
Corian Countertops
3 Burner Cooktop, Gas Oven
Convection Microwave with Carousel
Splendide Washer/Dryer
Master Queen Bed
Master Flatscreen HDTV with DVD Player
Mirrored Wardrobe Closet
LP Gas Water Heater
Thetford China Bowl Step Flush Toilet
ScanGaugeD Electronic Gauge System
Digital Pyrometer Gauge
Fuel Pressure Monitor
Hydraulic Leveling System
Driver/Passenver Fans
Night Vision Rear View Camera System
Maple Cabinetry Throughout
Dual Thermostat Climate Control System
Backlit Midship Systems Control Panel

Exterior Features:
Dometic WeatherPro Electric Shade Awning with Wireless Remote and Wind Sensor
Large Lockable Lighted Basement Storage Compartments with Built-In Carpeted Shelves
Master Bedroom Window Awnings
Slideout Window Awnings
Sleek Stainless Steel Luxury Rear Ladder Steps
Alcoa Wheels
5k Rear Hitch
Compressed Air Outlet Quick Disconnect
Heated Power Rear View Mirrors
Pre-Wired for Electric Brake Controller (for towing)
(2) 12 Volt Engine Starting Batteries (recent)
(4) 6 Volt Deep Cycle Coach Batteries (recent)

Probably could be had for 25k

Thanks
Todd

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #2

Depending on condition, the price sounds like it's right in there - BUT there are 2 things that would cause me to keep looking.

Propane generator. Most experienced users prefer a diesel. Lots of reasons, and the subject of much discussion that you might want to look into further.

Second, the rebuild. Pretty scary stuff here IMHO. There's also the issue regarding who did it and what warranties apply. If that was done at 175K, how many miles are on it now?

Not familiar with the Discovery, but I can share the fact that other Fleetwood coaches are pretty suspect regarding water intrusion issues. If ANY of that turns up after a very close inspection for it, that would also cause me to walk.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the body is good, watertight, same with roof, sounds very good.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The ISB is small an should get reasonable fuel mph but it is the smallest motor in the Cummins line. You will be slow on grades and maybe in a good head so towing. Otherwise sounds good and I would check who did the motor rebuild.

LEN
Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a bit more info:

Seller says he should have all the receipts they weren't planning on selling so he would have to gather them up. I know machine shop that did the work. Tires are within the last 2 years one was very recent with 0 miles on it. Second owner he bought it with 44k so he put most the miles on the coach. He said they spent three months every year traveling. AC units blow cold and he says the water heater works as brand new. Both furnaces have been replaced and the Fridge is cold. He mentioned he insulated the water pump and put a quiet kit on it. The awnings are all in excellent shape.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Bought the same my first MH a 98 Discovery was a Huge Curse for me. it ruined ME!
It was so trouble fee i thought all MH's were this way
Mine was great did everything asked of it and it never complained, the best dash air out of any of my Mh's. Got 10.5 MPG towing my 4500 pound jeep. As far as power i once towed my jeep and 21ft boat behind it for 300 miles!
Took trips from Tx to Key West and back to San Francisco and all in between a GREAT Rig.
As long as the motor was done correctly i don't think you can go wrong at this entry price.
The LP Gen wasn't a problem for us since the dash air was all that was needed while on the road.
Have Fun O BTW my user is Green D for my Green and White Discovery!

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
What is the buying process when your looking at a out of state purchase? What I mean is I know a lot about the unit but my bank requires the owner to come WA state to sign papers and that's not a problem with the seller as he is only 8 hrs from here. Should we do a video call? What else should I be asking. I have seen photos and everything looks good and sounds good. He is going to require a deposit to cover travel expenses how much should the deposit be?

Sorry for all the post I just don't want to make the wrong move.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sent you a PM Green D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green D View Post
Bought the same my first MH a 98 Discovery was a Huge Curse for me. it ruined ME!
Mine was great did everything asked of it and it never complained, the best dash air out of any of my Mh's. Got 10.5 MPG towing my 4500 pound jeep. As far as power i once towed my jeep and 21ft boat behind it for 300 miles!
Took trips from Tx to Key West and back to San Francisco and all in between a GREAT Rig.
As long as the motor was done correctly i don't think you can go wrong at this entry price.
The LP Gen wasn't a problem for us since the dash air was all that was needed while on the road.
Have Fun O BTW my user is Green D for my Green and White Discovery!

Eric
Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would want to know why the engine needed to be rebuilt 175K. Lack of maintenance? What about the trans, has it been serviced, what condition is it in? Does the owner have all maintenance records? Since it's 8 hours from you I would go look at before buying it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mine was great did everything asked of it and it never complained, the best dash air out of any of my Mh's. Got 10.5 MPG towing my 4500 pound jeep.
It's 16 years old with lots of miles on it, so you know you are going to have to put some dollars into it and that some things will need fixed - either now or soon. But if it's a sound unit, and you get it for the right money, you can deal with that.

That said, I agree with everything Eric just said above. My first motorhome was a '99 Discovery. A couple of comments....

1. I would not be upset about the engine rebuild. If the shop did a thorough job, the rebuilt engine and new components would give me a degree of comfort. Those small Cummins engines are tough. Same one that Dodge put in the pick-ups for years. And the mileage you get is fantastic compared with the bigger engines. However there is a downside, and that is that the engine is a little underpowered for the motorhome, and therefore a bit sluggish pulling out from a dead stop - especially if towing. I was always a little concerned pulling into traffic or onto the turnpike from a rest stop. That is, UNTIL I installed a full Banks kit. That made a huge difference and did not affect fuel economy. The machine shop who did the rebuild could easily add one for you. More information here.

2. Check to see if the door noise problem has been dealt with. It would be hard to get the parts to do it now. More information here.

3. As I recall, it has a rubber roof that needs treated every few years. Check the condition of that.

4. Although ahicks is correct that the propane generator is "unusual" by today's standards, I did not find it to be a problem. It has it's own tank and the propane lasted quite a while. Also, as I recall, the genset was quiet, by diesel standards. It does have a tendency to get vapor locked if not well maintained.

Just like Eric, the Discovery, as a first motorhome, spoiled me. When I traded it for my Monaco Diplomat in 2007 I kept comparing the Monaco to things that were better on the Discovery, even though the Monaco was indeed larger, nicer, and had more amenities. I especially appreciated the rock solid Freightliner Custom Chassis compared to the Monaco chassis.

If you buy it, I wish you great luck with it. Also, feel free to keep a link to my old Discovery web site handy, as it may help with a thing or two.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is some more information:

I asked about flooring, leaks, and the engine work and everything below is what he has told me. So far this guy seems to be very honest about everything.

composite tile glued to a moisture barrier fabric. Grout is real. The floor floats so it does move very slightly underfoot. Normal. All appliances work no issues. Cruise control has intermittent relay mounted on chassis, havent replaced yet about $45. Ice maker in fridge is disabled for winter travel,

It had a previous leak at the corner of the shower skylight...fixed and no permanent damage. No soft spots floor walls or roof. No delamination. . Washer dryer we used about a dozen times works as new.

Some cummins engines had cast valve seats, some had pressed in. This one was pressed in. It dropped an exhaust valve seat in cylinder 2 and caused cylinder and piston damage. We replaced the head with the bulletproof cast valve seats and went through everything else as listed on ebay

It runs awesome, we put a slightly larger hot side housing on the turbo for wider boost band and lower egt's. Runs so well, very strong and cool even towing water temp never seen over 190 and egt's well under 1300 even on long steep grades hot weather through vegas, . No expense was spared.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Todd
I am in the motorcycle business and its alot like RV's. Two types of people, the type that like to ride ONLY and the type who like myself who not only enjoying riding or Rving but also enjoy working on, maintaining, servicing and Cleaning there toys. From the photos you linked to me i am sure this has been well loved especially with those miles and still looks nice.
Mt 2 cents extra :-)
Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Green D....

This guy has some very expensive hobbies one being a Sandrail so he's into the motorsports scene as well.

Quote:
Todd
I am in the motorcycle business and its alot like RV's. Two types of people, the type that like to ride ONLY and the type who like myself who not only enjoying riding or Rving but also enjoy working on, maintaining, servicing and Cleaning there toys. From the photos you linked to me i am sure this has been well loved especially with those miles and still looks nice.
Mt 2 cents extra :-)
Eric
Old 06-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #14

I thought diesel engines never needed rebuilt 15k, ouch!!!

Tags
fleetwood