Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36t

I am looking at a 98 Fleetwood Discovery 36T with a 275hp ISB cummins, it has 70k miles lots of upgrades, solar, all maintenance service records and in good condition. Tires are 2008 one 09, oil service due in a month, has 5500kw lp gen with 353 hours owner has taken care of it and asking 22k. Seems like a good value to enter into a first DP. Any owners on the forums with this coach model with thoughts pros/cons Thank you for your input and help, looking to
ImperialRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

We had a 98 36T and really enjoyed it. We traded it because it only had one slide and we wanted three slides. We had very few problems during our ownership, replaced the air compressor to drier hose, and the Power Gear Leveler motor. We also made several modifications to the coach. If you are interested in the mods, send me a PM, and I'll tell you about them.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Without knowing how you will use the coach it is hard to determine if it has:
1. enough weight carrying capacity
2. enough horse power to weight ratio
3 tires are almost do for changing out
4. LP generator is a fuel hog and if needed regularly, a diesel is much prefered by owners and is a much harder resale as a result of it having an LP generator

I would recommend, if you can take the time to do more research, you can find a better coach for about the same money. The market is flooded with used coaches makes it a buyers market. Find out how you will use it, what you will carry and tow behind it; then look for coaches with enough weight carrying capacity and horsepower to do the job. Make a list and then look at the better built ones. Keep in mind that maintenance is always the deciding factor and have a qualified technician check your final decision and make sure everything is working properly. Welcome to the RV lifestyle.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #4

There is a known issue with some of the 275 hp blocks cracking. 53 series is the model number to avoid. Lots of info on the net regarding that.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it has a 53 block and hasn't cracked by now. You would have a better chance of winning the lottery before it will crack.
My 14 year old 53 block hasn't cracked yet.

The 98 should have the ISB engine with a Allison 6 speed. Good for 10 plus MPG and can pull 5,000 lb. And the CC on it probably depending on the model. But will be over 5,500 lb.

NADA shows average retail at 15K for it. So price may be more, with how many solar panels have been added and the other upgrades. Has the TV's been changed to digital ones?

And having maintenance records is a plus to what you will find on many other MH's out there for sale.

One good thing, there is a good owners club to get help with any problems or questions about it.

Here is 2 attached PDF's on the 98 D
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998+Discovery_2.pdf (942.0 KB, 599 views)
File Type: pdf 1998+Discovery_1.pdf (1.59 MB, 489 views)
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #6

Well lots of info thank you, I am planning on starting my full timing as i just sold the house. Every NADA look up on this 36T shows Low and average 19k to 24k never seen the 15k number, I did not add anything just open book is how i booked it out. i like the floor plan and the size. Towing a Honda Accord with a dolly so i know i wont hit the 5.5k mark in weight. It does have the ISB 275hp and a 3000 Allison 6speed tires are in good shape close to replace. I would like to have a diesel Gen though.

What are the comps to this in Pushers? forgive my novice approach
ImperialRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Hello group,
A friend has a 99 Discovery with 240 thousand miles on it, same engine an it runs great. He bought it when it had about 60 thousand miles. I think it has had only routine maintenance.
Joel
jcf3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

@RV Wiz, Firstly, I am a complete newbie when it comes to motorhomes, but have been shopping around for my first RV for several weeks. Your post suggests that there are "better built coaches" available for the price range. I thought the Discovery was considered a "highline" coach. I'm I misunderstanding something? From looking at the trader, ebay and dealers, 22K sounds like a good price for a DP even if 15 yo.

Is there a good buyer's guide for idiots like me?
roknjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Newmar, Foretravel, Monaco and a couple others are possibly better built. They do not have the laminated walls and can never be subject to delamination in the walls. The Newmar ducted AC system is the quitest we have ever had in 4 MHs. We would always be looking at other MHs at shows and dealers. Since we have had this one we haven't looked at any others.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

We bought a 98 36t for our first motorhome also and love it. No matter how well it was maintained be ready to spend money on repairs.

We upgraded ours with all new furniture, redid the window valances, Led tvs and other things.

The LP generator is the only downside IMO but we don't fill it often. We actually do not use propane for anything now unless we are driving on the road and want to use the AC.

The coach is plenty powerful and gets good gas mileage. Sure others have more power but I can't complain about 10mpg.

All in all we love our Discovery and plan on keeping it for many years.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknjohn View Post
@RV Wiz, Firstly, I am a complete newbie when it comes to motorhomes, but have been shopping around for my first RV for several weeks. Your post suggests that there are "better built coaches" available for the price range. I thought the Discovery was considered a "highline" coach. I'm I misunderstanding something? From looking at the trader, ebay and dealers, 22K sounds like a good price for a DP even if 15 yo.

Is there a good buyer's guide for idiots like me?
When the Discovery came out, it was a break- thru in DP price levels. In order to get there they made a lot of compromise . I drove one new, then went to Monaco Windsor for a test drive.......the Monaco sells itself, forget a Discovery or any other coach built for price point only, especially a used , under powered, and poor handling ones like the Discovery.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post

When the Discovery came out, it was a break- thru in DP price levels. In order to get there they made a lot of compromise . I drove one new, then went to Monaco Windsor for a test drive.......the Monaco sells itself, forget a Discovery or any other coach built for price point only, especially a used , under powered, and poor handling ones like the Discovery.
I'm curious, what does the Monaco have the discovery doesn't?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I'm curious, what does the Monaco have the discovery doesn't?
Many things, its apples and oranges. When I was looking the price of the Discovery was 100,000 plus where the Monaco Windsor was more like 150,000 so , some things are to be expected. What I was referring to directly was the test drive. The Discovery seemed to feel a bit light on the highway, it did not have that solid feel the Windsor did, and when I got into the Windsor after the discovery the steering, the ride, just about everything that you can "feel". The power was also a big issue, cause I was going to pull a trailer with a heavy car inside. The C series Cummins was by far better suited for pulling being a larger engine and having more torque as well as HP. The propane gen set was out of the question also as we seldom planed on hooking up to shore power while on the road with our vintage cars. There were times when the Windsor was too light for the job as well , but for the most part the 98 Windsor proved to be a good trouble free coach for the 10 years I owned it.
Not as important to some, but the interior of the Monaco was much nicer also with leather and just a more contemporary look that spelled quality. I do not recall all the differences back then, but I do remember the feel when I slid behind the wheel of the Windsor, built on the Roadmaster chassis .
It could have been a different story if I had bought the Discovery, but I do not think so , if for no other season the towing capacity 10,000 lbs. I think the Discovery was under 5,000.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Without knowing how you will use the coach it is hard to determine if it has:
1. enough weight carrying capacity
2. enough horse power to weight ratio
3 tires are almost do for changing out
4. LP generator is a fuel hog and if needed regularly, a diesel is much prefered by owners and is a much harder resale as a result of it having an LP generator

I would recommend, if you can take the time to do more research, you can find a better coach for about the same money. The market is flooded with used coaches makes it a buyers market. Find out how you will use it, what you will carry and tow behind it; then look for coaches with enough weight carrying capacity and horsepower to do the job. Make a list and then look at the better built ones. Keep in mind that maintenance is always the deciding factor and have a qualified technician check your final decision and make sure everything is working properly. Welcome to the RV lifestyle.
I also have a 1998 Discovery, 18K original miles, it sat a loooong time. Minor water damage but repairable. Your comment about the market flooded with RV's is so true, but unfortunately the resale prices remain very high. Sellers are mostly upside down in their rigs and that is killing them come resale time. I know because I've been there. Close friend in the RV business told me a new unit loses 25% once it leaves the lot and that most purchases are 'impulse' purchases. Just like me.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote