Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #1

I have a 29Ft Class C and I am thinking of trading it in on a 1998 Newmar Kountry Star
37 ft motor home. Has anyone who owns one got any comments good or bad concerning this motorhome? How does it handle? The one I am thinking of buying seemed to have a slight looseness in the steering. The dealer said they would look at it. It appears as a small deadband in the center of the steering travel.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
wfederle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #2

I have a 29Ft Class C and I am thinking of trading it in on a 1998 Newmar Kountry Star
37 ft motor home. Has anyone who owns one got any comments good or bad concerning this motorhome? How does it handle? The one I am thinking of buying seemed to have a slight looseness in the steering. The dealer said they would look at it. It appears as a small deadband in the center of the steering travel.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Old 10-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome, wfederle to irv2.
I had a 98 Newmar model 3765 with the large kitchen slide and dinette across from slide. Cut an access under dinette for small storage cabinet with door. 1/3 of space not used by pull out draw.
The Ford chassis carried the coach ok but low on chassis. Went to a spring shop and had them level and bring up chassis about 3" for a better ride and put on myself Bilstein shocks with Davis tru track front end.
Before a trip across Canada and USA had the Banks sys and Trans-command installed it was great in the mountains out west Ford had plenty of power with the v-10.
Didn't have any problems with steering Davis kept front steering true. I did have front end alined after spring install.
Had good mileage on trip 7-7.5 which is good for a coach of that weight. Got top dollar on trade for a Newmar MA. Just make sure dealer follows up on what he said before handing over check. Check under the coach for the things I have mentioned its a plus for you.
Good luck and we will welcome you to the Newmar forum in the future. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I will drive it before signing on the dotted line.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar motorhomes are generally excelent, though any single one can be an exception.

You didn't menton what chassis and drivetrain is under this coach. Kountry Stars may be diesel or gas and I think in 1998 both the Ford and Chevy chassis were used in the gas models. Wih some further info on the chassis, we might be able to guess further on the stering question. The Chevy P30/P32 chassis are known to have crappy bell cranks in the steering and I would definitely replace the OEM one with a Supersteer bell crank. Camping World and many RV shops/catalogs sell replacement bell cranks of superior quality.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #6

There is a 1997 Newmar Kountry Star listed in our classifieds section here on IRV2.
It belongs to a friend of ours and it is in excellent condition. It has the banks system and Trans command already installed.

1997 Kountry Star
Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #7

It's a Ford chassis with a gasoline engine in it.

Milwaukee Wisconsin