Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
WD40 will gather dust and be a mud ball any oil product will do this. Might try a dry silicon spray. At least it will be dry. Or maybe the silicon slide spray, it is dry too.

LEN
That's what he used this morning, one of those slick yet dry lubricants but it really didn't help that much. We may have to consider scraping the insulating material out of the tracks if that's even possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Thank you. We really love it. I hope this is our last RV. Today we removed the second passenger seat and installed a cat tree in it's place for our kitties. The rest of that space will be used for a storage trunk. We'll never carry passengers so that seat was of no use. We found the RV has a solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and real tile and hardwood floors. It also has a satellite dish on the roof but we bring our portable with us. It has a backup camera also.

Our windows are single pane so no fogging, but even oiled, the same two are difficult to get opened more than 1/2 way. All the others slide open easily.
Looks like all the "extras" your finding are on your side, that's great. You mention you have single pane windows through out the RV. Single pane windows are heavier than the double pane windows. I think you need a special tracking felt to make them slide easier. That's what I was told when I got my 2 front side window to single pane replaced.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #17

Try sprinkling graphite in the track before pulling out the fuzzy stuff. We have 2 windows like yours- the one over the dinette has gotten to be a real bear to open.

But you can remove the fuzzy stuff and replace with new- it will just be tedious to do.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on your new-to-you motorhome. We have a similar model and just love it. As for it being the last one ...... never say never. We started with a well used class C, went to a class A and then upgraded to where we are now. Like you, I hope this one is it but ..... who knows.

I would try the graphite myself. The other options I'd also try are is to take out the track the window slides on and make sure there is no dirt under it that might be binding the window. Next I'd find a narrow piece of wood or other material that would fit in the track and make sure it is well seated. A few taps with a hammer should do the trick, both top and bottom.

Keep us posted on your progress.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
Looks like all the "extras" your finding are on your side, that's great. You mention you have single pane windows through out the RV. Single pane windows are heavier than the double pane windows. I think you need a special tracking felt to make them slide easier. That's what I was told when I got my 2 front side window to single pane replaced.
There is some kind of fuzzy stuff glued in the tracks. It looks like that insulation stuff used around house windows and doors. Is that some kind of felt? We had so many other things to do today we never got back to the windows.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Try sprinkling graphite in the track before pulling out the fuzzy stuff. We have 2 windows like yours- the one over the dinette has gotten to be a real bear to open.
The fuzzy track liner can't be pulled out from what I can see. He used one of those dry type lubricants but it only helped a little. Tomorrow I hope to get a better look at the tracks. There's something making the window unable to slide easily. The bedroom windows have the same fuzzy stuff and they slide easily.

Quote:
But you can remove the fuzzy stuff and replace with new- it will just be tedious to do.
How would that help?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Congratulations on your new-to-you motorhome. We have a similar model and just love it. As for it being the last one ...... never say never. We started with a well used class C, went to a class A and then upgraded to where we are now. Like you, I hope this one is it but ..... who knows.
It seems like each time we get the RV the way we want it, he wants something else. We put money and work and time into them for someone else to enjoy. We've already had a Class-B Xplorer, a 15.5' Sunline TT, a 19' Zinger TT, a 28' NorthTrail TT we can't seem to sell, an old Class-C Ford Dutchman we lost about $5000 on and now this SouthWind - all since 2009. OK, I hope this is the last one. I'm tired of making curtains and pillows to match.

Quote:
I would try the graphite myself. The other options I'd also try are is to take out the track the window slides on and make sure there is no dirt under it that might be binding the window. Next I'd find a narrow piece of wood or other material that would fit in the track and make sure it is well seated. A few taps with a hammer should do the trick, both top and bottom.

Keep us posted on your progress.
We have no idea what they're supposed to look like or how to remove both windows and tracks as we're not RV techs. The window sits in/on tracks so they can't be removed without removing the windows. They look like they're sitting in the tracks correctly comparing them to the bedroom windows.

We can barely reach them from outside and to do it from inside the dinette and sofa would have to be removed so we can reach them. :( He's not going to do that. If we drop one and break it it's $400 to $500 to replace - add labor. We may make matters worse. We're in our 70s and both of us have arthritis. Removing such large windows safely, pulling out the tracks etc for someone our age is just not possible.

They look like they're seated right and we see nothing in the tracks to jam the windows. It's like the frames are cocked or the windows are too tight in the frames.

I was hoping there was some easy way to get them to slide but apparently not. We can't graphite or oil the tops without removing the hard to reach pleated shade tops and the Boxy thing around the windows can't be removed from inside. The outside skin would have to be removed to reach the screws. They were added before the coach had the skin added. It's the first time I've seen those boxy things installed that way. Most are easy to remove from inside the RV.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm pretty sure the boxy things were put on from the inside. Our bus is a couple years newer and basically the same as yours. Due to a shade that had broken I had to get the boxy thing off to repair the shade. The screws are very well hidden and not real easy to reach but they do come off.

You could try asking an RV dealership for some advice or even try an auto glass business. While the window isn't necessarily common to a car, pick up trucks often have sliding glass in the rear window plus even the roll up windows have the track.

Don't give up. There is a solution. Someone else has had the same problem and they will come along eventually. Since you are keeping this one you do have some time !!! 😀

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

Quote:
RanCarr, As I stated, the single pane windows are heavier. My single vs. double, double are easier to open. Take a look at the attached pix of my single pane felt, it is different from the double pane felt. The window installer did a test window to find a felt that would make the heavy single pane window slide easier before he did mines. No lube required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150526_174838.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	95344  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
There is no rubber in the tracks. It's a fuzzy type of insulating material that appears to be glued into the tracks to keep them airtight and from rattling. I don't think there is any way other then somehow scraping them out to remove them. That of course would destroy them. It's great if the windows are never opened but these are the 2 large ones on the drivers side of the rig that are needed for cross ventilation.
Should have explained it better. On my Hehr windows the windows slide in a track top and bottom that is rubbery with whiskers on it that is removable. Apparently yours are not the same. The dry graphite is a good idea.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I'm pretty sure the boxy things were put on from the inside. Our bus is a couple years newer and basically the same as yours. Due to a shade that had broken I had to get the boxy thing off to repair the shade. The screws are very well hidden and not real easy to reach but they do come off.
Where did you find the screws? The sides are tight to the wall and there is nowhere to screw them in or out. The edge was somehow screwed in from the outside. The man we got it from removed the bedroom TV to replace with a flat screen but there were no screwheads in the closet. The heads were covered with the closet wall. The screws sharp point has to be hacksawed off or the wall in the closet removed to unscrew them. My husband will saw the screw points off so we don't bump into them. We've had RVs before and never saw this technique used. Another thing is the mirror behind the stove and sink - that has to go! I'm not cleaning a mirror every time I cook or use the sink. But all we see are several gold button things, no screws. We're going to try and gently pry the smooth gold buttons off and hope we find screws behind them.

Quote:
You could try asking an RV dealership for some advice or even try an auto glass business. While the window isn't necessarily common to a car, pick up trucks often have sliding glass in the rear window plus even the roll up windows have the track.

Don't give up. There is a solution. Someone else has had the same problem and they will come along eventually. Since you are keeping this one you do have some time !!! 😀
I'll let everyone know what happens....
Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #26

Quote:
RanCarr, As I stated, the single pane windows are heavier. My single vs. double, double are easier to open. Take a look at the attached pix of my single pane felt, it is different from the double pane felt. The window installer did a test window to find a felt that would make the heavy single pane window slide easier before he did mines. No lube required.
With all the rain and trying to get it loaded for the trip to his sisters, we had to put the windows on the back burner for now.

There's a double track. The screen rides in one and the window in the other. The fuzzy stuff looks much like yours.

Do the windows LIFT out of the tracks to remove? How is the part with the glass removed?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #27

I have the same type motorhome; 99 Fleetwood Southwind. I just put up a posting about a discount paint match I discovered. Check it out in my profile!

Here are some pics of my paint match codes u might find useful?

JasonClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439487637.133900.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	103185
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439487667.937856.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439487690.974888.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439487733.211745.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.8 KB

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, southwind