Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind.

We brought our new coach home this afternoon. No pics yet until we remove the cleaning stuff and put a lot of "everything" away in it's place.

I do have a question. The windows are sliders and very hard to slide open. They open maybe 1/3 way and it becomes almost impossible to open them the rest of the way. Why is this? What would make it easier to slide them open? Would oil do it or just attract dirt and crud? The windows, same type sliders, in the old Dutchman Class-C slid easily.

I want to comment on the people and businesses both selling these RVs. Why are they put up for sale DIRTY? One had a bathroom so dirty that that alone nixed the sale. I would really be embarrassed to have someone come look at a dirty car or van or RV or anything I had for sale. DH and I make an extra effort that anything we sell is move-in clean. But then I don't let things ever get in the condition of some of the Class-As we looked at.

Also all those that need a lot of work yet the price is not dropped from what you see on NADA. One we looked at, a 2004 Itasca, had all broken dirty blinds, most of the shelves and the veggie bin in the bottom of the dirty fridge were missing and some kind of what looked like shredded torn electrical wires were hanging down under the slideout. We ran from that one.

It was a discouraging disappointing experience trying to find something reasonably clean with everything that worked and nothing missing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Amazing isn't it???!!

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Amazing isn't it???!!
I wouldn't want to go through it again. I told DH this is the LAST RV we're buying so he better not change his mind after a year or two.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 AM   #4

Make sure the tracks are clean. Else you may want to try something like Boeshield T-9 for lube. As for people/business not detailing before selling, you got me.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
Make sure the tracks are clean. Else you may want to try something like Boeshield T-9 for lube. As for people/business not detailing before selling, you got me.
The tracks are clean. Amazingly clean like they never opened the windows and just dusted the tracks. This unit was one of the rare fairly clean odorless ones. I'll look locally for the Boeshield T-9.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

Congrats on the new to you coach. We had a 1994 33' Fleetwood PaceArrow for 14 years. It was a great rv for us. Our new to us coach in my sig has had all the windows replaced due to fogging and they are a bear to open.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
i might try something like a little dw40 in the track?? I would try it sparingly on a single window that's smaller.. like the kitchen window?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
WD40 will gather dust and be a mud ball any oil product will do this. Might try a dry silicon spray. At least it will be dry. Or maybe the silicon slide spray, it is dry too.

LEN
Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to remove the rubber track the windows slides in to clean it because it was hard to slide. Tried the dry silicone help a little. If the windows are Hehr the rubber track can be removed by lifting one end and sliding it out from under the glass. Go slow try not to pull to hard or it may break in half. I broke mine and it still works fine just makes it harder to push back under the glass. After cleaning the track the window slides easy.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Congrats on your motorhome.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Congrats on the new to you coach. We had a 1994 33' Fleetwood PaceArrow for 14 years. It was a great rv for us. Our new to us coach in my sig has had all the windows replaced due to fogging and they are a bear to open.
Thank you. We really love it. I hope this is our last RV. Today we removed the second passenger seat and installed a cat tree in it's place for our kitties. The rest of that space will be used for a storage trunk. We'll never carry passengers so that seat was of no use. We found the RV has a solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and real tile and hardwood floors. It also has a satellite dish on the roof but we bring our portable with us. It has a backup camera also.

Our windows are single pane so no fogging, but even oiled, the same two are difficult to get opened more than 1/2 way. All the others slide open easily.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
i might try something like a little dw40 in the track?? I would try it sparingly on a single window that's smaller.. like the kitchen window?
He used something he had that's slick but not oily and isn't supposed to collect dirt. It helped a little but the problem remains. They have to be forced to open more than 1/2 way. Too much pressure needed for my arthritic hands and they're awkward to reach over the table and sofa. We can't get any leverage. There's nothing in the tracks. He checked them also. The tracks have some kind of insulating lining also that we never saw before but no foreign matter. We both like plenty of fresh air so have to solve this problem. All the other windows slide easily.

We were surprised to see a brand new pillow mattress on the bed when we removed their spread. I figured we'd have to buy a new one...
Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francina View Post
Congrats on your motorhome.
Thank you. He's wanted a Class-A for awhile now and I have to admit I like it better than the Class-C we had.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I had to remove the rubber track the windows slides in to clean it because it was hard to slide. Tried the dry silicone help a little. If the windows are Hehr the rubber track can be removed by lifting one end and sliding it out from under the glass. Go slow try not to pull to hard or it may break in half. I broke mine and it still works fine just makes it harder to push back under the glass. After cleaning the track the window slides easy.
There is no rubber in the tracks. It's a fuzzy type of insulating material that appears to be glued into the tracks to keep them airtight and from rattling. I don't think there is any way other then somehow scraping them out to remove them. That of course would destroy them. It's great if the windows are never opened but these are the 2 large ones on the drivers side of the rig that are needed for cross ventilation.

Tags
fleetwood, southwind