Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

1999 Airstream Cutter???

Hi all...don't post much but do read often. I would like to obtain some of your thoughts on a 1999 Airstream Cutter 35'. Has a "CAT engine with low miles. Diesel Gen Set with 970 hrs. Owner asking $35K...seems to have been well maintained...going to look at it this afternoon.

Just wanted to gain some insight/thoughts from you all.

Thanks,

campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

The price seems about right. I personally would call Airstream and talk to their tech center and ask about problem areas. Talk to a service center you feel good about and get a thorough inspection done. With the age you can expect some systems to need replacing or upgrading. You want to buy at a price that takes these costs into account. These units are good quality. Have the slide inspected because if there are issues it could be costly. Good luck, a great find!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersRus View Post
Hi all...don't post much but do read often. I would like to obtain some of your thoughts on a 1999 Airstream Cutter 35'. Has a "CAT engine with low miles. Diesel Gen Set with 970 hrs. Owner asking $35K...seems to have been well maintained...going to look at it this afternoon.

Just wanted to gain some insight/thoughts from you all.

Thanks,
Go to Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community this is a sister site of iRv2 and is a very active Airstream forum. There are a lot of Cutter owners on the forum that would be happy to share their experiences with Airstream. Go to the Motor Home section. Good luck.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Ask them about sidewall debonding on the A/S forum.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

So how did the Airstream Cutter look?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Mine is good. Obviously at 14 years old it is not going to be like new, but mine is holding up very well mechanically. Yes, getting a bit of delamination right at the rear and at the front but I don't care about things you have to look carefully to see. Make sure the sealing on the front and rear cap seams is good, plus around the windows.

The seals on the dual pane windows have squelched inwards and look pretty untidy, but strangely it is rarely noticed.
Put new shocks on a couple of years ago and last year in Mexico we had to replace the water pump (on the engine) when it started leaking. Radiator will likely need a good clean to remove all the oily mud build up on the CAC from the slobber tube (which is easily moved and extended to stop it happening again).

Easy to do all the maintenance yourself if so inclined (don't forget the grease point on the radiator fan and lubricate the exhaust brake)

Slide is reliable, as are the jacks. Slide was catching at the very top when extending and I finally got around to lowering the slide 1/8" and it is now OK.

etc etc
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

Sorry guys...I did start this thread...guess I need to report back
We did look at the Cutter...outside and mechanically very sound...inside...well needed much attention. We really like it until we got inside...carpet very bad, broken tiles, leather showed signs of much wear but no upkeep, did not see any evidence of water leaks, however, roof sure needed some attention. They had done some upgrades...Auto Sat, improved stereo and surround sound, flat screen TV's.

Oh well...really thought we found a nice one

Thanks all...truly appreciate your comments and assistance.

Steve

campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream