Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder

I am considering the purchase of this Beaver w/ 71K miles. Allison 4060 trans. Coach came out of the New England area. Coach condition is good to excellant. Current owner serviced it regularly. It does show considerable corrosion on the face of the onan gen and curb side rear service bay w/ filters. I have not inspected underside yet. My concern is parts and service. It has the Magnum C12 chassis w/ the 425hp Cat. What does anyone think about the Hurrican Hydronic heat system? I have a copy of a Magnum C12 chassis manual. Anyone have a 1999 Beaver manual? Any feedback appreciated. Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06786.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	50662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06726.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	50663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06670.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	50664  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have a 2000 PT and love it.

The coach you are looking at does have quite a bit more visible corrosion than we have with more than 85,000 miles on ours, but that doesn't mean the corrosion is serious enough to have consequences.

The Hurricane heating system is a great unit, although it does need to be maintained. You would have to evaluate how well it was cared for. Recently we installed an electric supplemental system for the Hurricane and it works very well, as long as you have utility hookups.

Here are some manuals you might be interested in. The only one that is missing is the Thunder supplement to the Patriot manual which I didn't get around to digitizing

http://weisstravels.com/resources/Ow...er+Patriot.pdf

http://weisstravels.com/resources/20...sis+Manual.pdf

http://weisstravels.com/resources/2000+Patriot.pdf

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the manuals. Other storage bays show no corrosion issues. Just where road salts would gather hence my concern on the undercarraige. Ed
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

My wife and I are picking up a 2000 Beaver this week and these will make for great reading! We are newbies and can use all the help we can get
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Congratulations on your new MH. Feel free to ask questions, that's what these forums are for.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My advice would be to keep looking unless you can make a killer deal on that coach. Beavers are nice but that is a lot of corrosion. I had a Winnebago Journey that lived in Illinois and I spent a lot of time and effort dealing with rust on the undercarriage and various other places on the coach. I would be concerned about that much rust and corrosion and how it will affect electrical connections, etc. in the future.

There are just too many nice used DP's out there to jump on one quickly, IMO.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Hello I would be worried about the rust. Rust is not your friend my 2 cents worth look for one without any signs of rust I bought a 2005 P/T without any rust you can fix a lot of things but with rust is keeps on growing.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

I agree. I did pass on that unit. Rust never sleeps. I do like the Beaver MH's. Ed
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
I agree. I did pass on that unit. Rust never sleeps. I do like the Beaver MH's. Ed

Yep, you did the right thing. I had a coach in WI for several years and it also had a lot of corrosion. It you want a really clean coach, take a trip through the south and SW and check the ads. Many have never seen road salt and look close to new underneath. Lots to choose from and prices are more competative due to the number of units. Good Luck
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

We made the 600 mile trip back after picking up our new MH. We made the right choice with this 200 Beaver Patriot Thunder but have so many questions I don't know where to start.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2SCRUB View Post
We made the 600 mile trip back after picking up our new MH. We made the right choice with this 200 Beaver Patriot Thunder but have so many questions I don't know where to start.
Congrats on the new-to-you rig. Beavers are nice coaches. We were parked to a couple at Myrtle Beach who just got their first motorhome, a 2006 Beaver Monterrey. It was a nice rig.

You should really touch base with the Monaco owners area under Owners Forums. Since Beavers were made by Monaco Coach, those folks will really best know the coach.

Most anywhere you land on IRV2 you will find helpful folks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

You should really touch base with the Monaco owners area under Owners Forums. Since Beavers were made by Monaco Coach, those folks will really best know the coach.
I'm sure you are already aware that the 2000 Beavers were made by SMC and not by Monaco. The Monaco acquisition wasn't for another year or two thereafter.

If you are interested in owner support you can visit the Beaver Ambassador Club which is a chapter of FMCA: Beaver Ambassador Club

They do have a very informative forum, but you need to be a club member in order to participate.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #13

Hi and way to go on the 2000 P/T If I may ask - where did you find the coach? Mileage? and approximate cost? Would help with my search. Thanks. Ed
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
Hi and way to go on the 2000 P/T If I may ask - where did you find the coach? Mileage? and approximate cost? Would help with my search. Thanks. Ed
My wife searched tons of sites but the one with the most pics and information was actually found on Dream finders web site

Tags
beaver