Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -- I've posted a similar question on another forum and am hoping that somebody will have an idea, an answer . . .

Over the past three weekends (and three trips) we've had occasional power issues with our 1999Dip. Because we're running the air conditioner all the time, i assumed that at least part of our problem was overload related to that. But this past Friday, my husband attempted to plug the vacuum into the outlet just under the dash, and blew the entire electrical system. Nothing worked, even though we were plugged in to 30 amp. We could not reset the GFCI (the only one we've found is just above the vanity). Finally, we turned on the inverter (as advised by some other folks at the campground) and were able to get power to the air conditioner and the microwave. We could not switch the fridge to AC -- had to leave it on propane. Even if we disconnected and turned on the generator we could not reset our GFCI. So, we spent several hours Friday night replacing the GFCI -- and then did that again on Saturday afternoon! Certainly lets you know how really strong your marriage is. Even so, we have not regained power to the outlets, the fridge, the TV's. In the meantime, Himself decided that the wet carpet I've complained of for two weeks was due to a leaking hot water heater, which I assume will have to be replaced and everything dried out. So --
a. Have we done everything we should have?
b. What's left?
c. Is there a relationship between the leaking hotwater heater and this dearth of electrical power?

Thanks -- I appreciate the help!!
Pam in Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -- I've posted a similar question on another forum and am hoping that somebody will have an idea, an answer . . .

Over the past three weekends (and three trips) we've had occasional power issues with our 1999Dip. Because we're running the air conditioner all the time, i assumed that at least part of our problem was overload related to that. But this past Friday, my husband attempted to plug the vacuum into the outlet just under the dash, and blew the entire electrical system. Nothing worked, even though we were plugged in to 30 amp. We could not reset the GFCI (the only one we've found is just above the vanity). Finally, we turned on the inverter (as advised by some other folks at the campground) and were able to get power to the air conditioner and the microwave. We could not switch the fridge to AC -- had to leave it on propane. Even if we disconnected and turned on the generator we could not reset our GFCI. So, we spent several hours Friday night replacing the GFCI -- and then did that again on Saturday afternoon! Certainly lets you know how really strong your marriage is. Even so, we have not regained power to the outlets, the fridge, the TV's. In the meantime, Himself decided that the wet carpet I've complained of for two weeks was due to a leaking hot water heater, which I assume will have to be replaced and everything dried out. So --
a. Have we done everything we should have?
b. What's left?
c. Is there a relationship between the leaking hotwater heater and this dearth of electrical power?

Thanks -- I appreciate the help!!
Pam in Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You could have another GFCI outlet in the basement compartment that may also feed the circuit you are having trouble with. It is very possible that the water leak is causing a current leakage which trips the GFCI. You probably have a fitting at the water heater that needs attention. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not an expert on your system-- but have you checked your house circuit breakers? Some diesel pushers have a large, like 150 amp, circuit breaker somewhere in the engine area.

I found a similiar incident under the Newmar owners but I can't seem to paste it on here.

Please go to "Glen M", Sep 20th post on the Newmar owners forum.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #5

First thing I check with a tripped breaker or blown fuse, after an obviously shorted/overload condition has been ruled out, is (WITH ALL POWER OFF/DISCONNECTED) is the tightness of the wires at the fuse/circuit breaker and any splices. A loose connection will blow a fuse, trip a circuit breaker/GFCI. My day job is installing HVAC systems and seem to always find loose connections tripping a breaker. It is not unusual to find the screws on a breaker, switch or connection requiring 1/4 to 3 turns to secure the wire properly. On my new MH, every connection was loose which started showing up very soon in various ways. An occasional maintenance check will find many times loosened connections especially if not done very frequently. Obviously, water infiltration or equipment failure won't be cured this way. GFCI circuits & heavy loads seem very susceptable to loose connections. Hope this helps anybody, especially to avoid a fire.
gene2 is offline   Reply With Quote