Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link that maybe of use to you and this link in it will describe water systems.
Now if you input your year coach you may just get your answer if its in their file.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good freind of mine has a 98 model and the water heater switch is on the panel in the hallway. It's about chest high and on the right side. It is gas only and the switch turns it on and it ignights automaticly. Also check all the connections on the water heater heater by removing them and re installing them a couple of times. they do get coroded. I had to replace this switch on there RV two years ago.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
My 1997 Dolphin M.H. Water tank would only run on propane but I installed a hot stick just so I would not have to use my propane when we were hooked up in a camp ground.
The frig runs the same way.
Just a thought.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #18

I found the switch. I checked the fuse on the t-stat wire and did pull the plug on the circuit board. Nothing yet. When I turn the switch on, it does light up along with a red dot just to the left of it, but it just stays lit and the tank heater does not ignite. Sigh.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
I found the switch. I checked the fuse on the t-stat wire and did pull the plug on the circuit board. Nothing yet. When I turn the switch on, it does light up along with a red dot just to the left of it, but it just stays lit and the tank heater does not ignite. Sigh.
Assuming you have a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) water heater when the switch inside in turned on you should hear the clicking of the igniter sparking. If the igniter is working you should also hear the gas valve open and the burner light. If no flame is sensed the burner will be locked out for safety, that's the reason the the small red light next to the switch stays on. If you don't hear the igniter working it could be out of adjustment or the ignition control could be bad.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #20

It is a DSI unit. Propane only. I'm figuring that the electrical box with the wire in it behind the tank is if a tank were installed with the optional electric heating element.

I do not hear any clicking. I tried cleaning all the contacts. I even removed the fused link on the one wire to see if it was bad. Nothing.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a bad 2 amp fuse on the circuit board or the ignitor is out of adjustment or the ignition module is bad or the main circuit board is bad or the high temperature safety stat is open. You can test the safety stat for continuity with a VOM meter. Check if the ignition module is getting power from the main control board. I attached the manual if you don't have it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MPD 93756 SP 11.19.07-1.pdf (425.9 KB, 50 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said chech all conections on water heater. Corosion is the bigest problem. In the Manual the first thing it said was low voltage and that can be caused by bad connections.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #23

I finally said "uncle" on the water tank and it's at the RV service place near me. I've only got three weeks until by month long trip, and I have other things to get done. I'll let everyone know what the final diagnosis is.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #24

Found out today the circuit board was bad. We now have hot water.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I also have a dolphin and had the same problem after a couple of days of searching i found the i had a bad part on the water heater it was a 10 dollar fix. on dolphins the on off switch is in the center of the coach by the bath room ck bathroom gfi also. if you need any info on your coach send me a pm..
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #26

Thanks for the info offer. I may take you up on it. And that circuit board, $360 !?!?!?!?!? Just for that!?!?!?!? If I'd known it was going to be that much, I would have just replaced the whole stupid tank with a 10 gallon for the $425 I could have bought it for on ebay. GGRRRR.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #27

Everything's working great. No need for a hot water tank here in Vegas. 104 yesterday and the same today.

Tags
dolphin, tank, water