Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

1999 Fleetwood Southwind Auto brake fuse

I am searching for the fuse 10 amp .Looked under dash and found 10 amp fuse marked AA some suggest this is the fuse. I pulled the fuse to check if auto brake was disabled.NOT so I assume this isnt it...anyone know where to find the 10 amp fuse..my autobrake is the version 3 with the yellow push pull switch...Thanks in advance....Oran

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oran42348 View Post
I am searching for the fuse 10 amp .Looked under dash and found 10 amp fuse marked AA some suggest this is the fuse. I pulled the fuse to check if auto brake was disabled.NOT so I assume this isnt it...anyone know where to find the 10 amp fuse..my autobrake is the version 3 with the yellow push pull switch...Thanks in advance....Oran
The acknowledged EXPERT on all things relating to the J71 AAPB is Roger, via email to oldusedbear11@charter.net

His expertise is free to all who ask.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

I emailed roger at the email oldusedbear to request order information on the genie lamp..have not got a reply..i can get the parts from radioshack but would like to know the fuse location in case of power failure etc..the autobrake has failed during previous ownership and will likely fail again..will be carrying spare parts as preventitive maintenance...thanks ..Oran
Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr Roger has a different e-mail address now.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
REALLY???? As recently as 10-29-2013 that is the address HE posted.

If you have another, please post it. THANKS
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
That is the fuse and if I'm reading you right, you're not understanding the operation of this brake. You can't disable it, by pulling the fuse. The brake is always on by default and needs pump pressure to collapse the powerful spring and thereby releasing the brake shoes on the drive shaft drum. Pulling the fuse, disables all power to the pump and sends it into default and locking it up, no matter what mode it's in and whether sitting still or moving. Much like pulling the yellow knob or jamming it into park would do.
Now, it might help, if you said why and/or what problem you might be having that initiated this would be test of pulling said fuse.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
After reading the above post, I sent an email to Roger. Today he has confirmed by a reply that, in fact, oldusedbear11@charter.net is a working email address.

He is the EXPERT on all things related to the J71 AAPB used on many P32 chassis built by Chevy and Workhorse.
Ed
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
That is the fuse and if I'm reading you right, you're not understanding the operation of this brake. You can't disable it, by pulling the fuse. The brake is always on by default and needs pump pressure to collapse the powerful spring and thereby releasing the brake shoes on the drive shaft drum. Pulling the fuse, disables all power to the pump and sends it into default and locking it up, no matter what mode it's in and whether sitting still or moving. Much like pulling the yellow knob or jamming it into park would do.
Now, it might help, if you said why and/or what problem you might be having that initiated this would be test of pulling said fuse.
I pulled the 10 amp fuse that was located under the dash marked AA and the pump motor and solenoid operates the same either way whether fuse is ( in or out) pump motor and solenoid engage and disengage the auto brake. This being the case I assumed the pump motor and solenoid would be disabled when the 10 amp fuse was pulled..My objective is to locate the fuse so that if I have autobrake issues such as shorted brake light causing blown fuse etc..I would be better prepared to troubleshoot troubles..I am carrying spare parts in hope of being prepared for emergency situation..So if that is undoubtedly the fuse then I know where too look for it..Im still not clear as to why the motor and solenoid would work normally with the fuse removed. I can hear the pump motor operate when the switch is pushed in and the soleniod engage when the switch is pulled out with the fuse pulled same as when the park shift lever is moved from park to nuetral. So if this is normal then my question has been answered.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I pulled the 10 amp fuse that was located under the dash marked AA and the pump motor and solenoid operates the same either way whether fuse is ( in or out) pump motor and solenoid engage and disengage the auto brake. This being the case I assumed the pump motor and solenoid would be disabled when the 10 amp fuse was pulled..My objective is to locate the fuse so that if I have autobrake issues such as shorted brake light causing blown fuse etc..I would be better prepared to troubleshoot troubles..I am carrying spare parts in hope of being prepared for emergency situation..So if that is undoubtedly the fuse then I know where too look for it..Im still not clear as to why the motor and solenoid would work normally with the fuse removed. I can hear the pump motor operate when the switch is pushed in and the soleniod engage when the switch is pulled out with the fuse pulled same as when the park shift lever is moved from park to nuetral. So if this is normal then my question has been answered.
OK, now that we understand, the answer in no to normal operation. So, I would first find out what that fuse is feeding and then go to the fuse that's labeled with what you find, in the hopes that they were just wired the opposite in error.
Again, pulling the proper fuse should lock the brake up and make it inoperative, no matter. Fact is, the grey pressure sw. for the dash ind. light has a habit of sometimes going to ground and blowing said fuse, thereby setting the brake. I carry both the green and the grey on board, but not much else and am confident in being able to mechanically disable the system until I can do the repairs. So far, I've only had to replace two green switches while out on the road. One in a FL campground and the other in a WV shopping plaza, with both being pretty quick and easy.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #10

I will be looking further as to its location...should be in that fuse panel tho....will post findings later..Thanks Tropical
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Her is Mr Roger Haag's (oldusedbear) e-mail address: Rhaag11@charter.net <Rhaag11@charter.n\et>;
I got his permission to post his contact address.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Her is Mr Roger Haag's (oldusedbear) e-mail address: Rhaag11@charter.net <Rhaag11@charter.n\et>;
I got his permission to post his contact address.
BO: you and I are both trying to accomplish the SAME thing, which is let people know how to access free J71 help by contacting Roger.

We are BOTH right. Roger has two (2) email addresses, and he does answer both of them. Like you, I checked with Roger before posting, and he confirmed that either address will work.

Regarding the post stating that Roger did not reply: Roger told me he has software which he uses to try to keep track of all incoming emails, and that he regrets if he "missed", and he asks that the sender please try again.

rhaag11@charter.net OR oldusedbear11@charter.net
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #13

Thanks, will do
Old 11-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #14

Ahhhh....Haaaa

Found the fuse located in a wire harness ,spliced into the auto brake push pull switch.It was a 30 amp fuse in a fuse holder . I pulled that fuse and replaced with a 10 amp everything working as it should now. I will be installing Rogers genie lights to better monitor the auto brake.Tanks for the advise and comments.........Oran

Tags
brake, fleetwood, fuse, southwind