Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
1999 HR Endeavour Air Dryer problem

Hello ! My name is Dan, and my wife is Linda. I am a full time Evangelist, and have been travelling in an rv for 22 years.
Recently I noticed a constant flow of air coming from the side of the air compressor pressure control. I can hold my finger over this opening for just a few seconds and release it, and the air dryer discharges; but if I do not do this, the dryer doesn't seem to work. It has the haldex-midland dryer. I removed the cannister and checked the filter, no oil or discharge was present, so I cleaned and re-installed it and have the same results as before. I am puzzled and hope some of you can offer some help.
By the way it is a 275 Cummins engine.

DanandLinda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Sounds like it might be a problem with the compressor pressure control or a fitting at the controller. I'd start there. I don't think you are supposed to be feeling a constant air leak anywhere in the air system.

Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Air dryer

I agree with previous post that the Air Govenor (Pressure Control) is the problem. They are easy to replace on top of the compressor and my last one was in the $30.00 range.
gnrenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty that has the Haldex/Midland 'Pure Air Plus' air dryer which I think will be the same as on your 99 Endeavour. As information this is the same air dryer that was also on my 1995 Dynasty as well.

As a suggestion, if your air dryer has not been serviced in a while, I would highly recommend that it be removed and given a complete service job by purchasing and installing the following two kits.

DQ6020 Lower Housing Repair Kit, includes purge valve, turbo saver & outlet check valve.
DQ6026 General Service Kit, includes Desicaant Cartridge, Colescing filter, safety relief vavle and misc hardware.

I would recommend that both of these kits be installed to return the air dryer assembly to its like new condition and provide you comfort of mind that it will operate at peak efficiency. This is critical, especially during the warmer, humid summer months to keep moisture out of the air system which is critical to provide good protection for the brake valves and components. This maintenance work will also help eliminate any chance of unexpected air leaks that will ultimately stop you dead in your tracks if the compressor can't recover faster than the air leaks out.

If, after performing the air dryer service work and the compressor still doesn't cycle or unload as you fell it should, then the next thing I would replace is the Bendix D2 governor air valve Unloader Valve which is really what controls the loading and unloading cycles of the compressor. These devices should be factory adjusted, but will typically cut out or unload the compressor at around 120 psi and should load the compressor at about 95 psi.

For your reference, I have attached a pdf illustratrion of the Air Dryer and Governor.

Hope this helps in you quest to troubleshoot your air problems.
Good Luck and happy RV'g.

Yukon Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Midland Pure-Air Plus & Bendix D2 Governor.pdf (142.9 KB, 73 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great info. I think you can get the kits at NAPA
98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Sounds like it might be a problem with the compressor pressure control or a fitting at the controller. I'd start there. I don't think you are supposed to be feeling a constant air leak anywhere in the air system.
I replaced the compressor governor today, and this took care of the problem. I appreciate all of you who made suggestions, and I am going to order the air dryer repair kit also. Thanks again. (Dan)

DanandLinda2 is offline   Reply With Quote