Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
1999 National Tropical 36

I am considering purchasing a 1999 National Tropical 36 Triton V10 from an original owner. It has 14,000 miles and 130 hours on the generator. It has always been covered and visually is in great shape inside and out. Does any one have any comments or experience with this model? Overall, what was Nationals reputation for quality? Thanks in advance

ep120794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
We can't say anything about your 1999 model....however we bought a new 1996 Tropi-cal, 36 w/460 Ford and chassis. I wish I had it back again. We're full-timers and we drove it for 11 years, and yes some things wore out. We added the Bank's system the first year, a really questionable expense. I had more power, but not a bit better mileage. The carpet gave out about the 5th year, and we had it replaced with good stuff + ($400 labor) down in South Texas. We felt it was as well built as any other gasser we looked at. CCC was good and the RV Rating book listed it toward the upper end of its class. The one thing I hated was the Generac generator. It worked fine for 6-7 years, then it was problematic. More hours than on the one you are considering. They need to be run to be healthy. The biggest problem was just finding someone to work on it. Onan repair is everywhere. ..
Good luck with your decision,

Gary & Eloise
'05 Allegro Bus, 40TSP
'01 Honda CRV; fulltime since 1991
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
We had a National Seabreeze back in the mid 90's. We thought it was a pretty nice coach. You're going to hear the downside about National not being in business any longer. But in this day and time does is really matter? No... The chassis will probably be made by Ford or Workhorse. The interior components like the refrigerator, stove, etc. are all common items used in other coaches. If something happens to the skin (fiberglass caps, cargo doors, etc. Most places can do wonders with fiberglass repair. Bottom line, if you like the floorplan, it fits your budget and the main components (motor, transmission, brakes) are in good shape, go for it.
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
I belong to a small RV club close to where National had their factory. So no surprise there are quite a few of them in the club. Based on what the owners have said to me I would say National built a good coach. In 1999 National built 4 models of 36' tropi-cals. All have high ratings for quality of construction and value from the RV Consumer Group, but none get very high marks for handling and CCC capacity. The ones with Chevy chassis get really low marks for not enough CCC. The Ford ones get better grades, but still in the range of 60 or a possible 100.

If it were me I would look for one of the many National motor homes that get high ratings. For example the same year but 37'. models 6370 and 6373.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
B Bob may have a point with the CCC. I had plenty even as a full-timer, but everyone has their own opinion. If you aren't going to use it as full-time, the CCC becomes a non issue. Up to you.
Gary & Eloise
'05 Allegro Bus, 40TSP
'01 Honda CRV; fulltime since 1991
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
i have 2005 37ft dolphinLX and i love it has 8.1 chevy

Lewis D is offline   Reply With Quote