Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

1999 Rexhall Aerbus - Where to check hydraulic fluid?

We have a 1999 Rexhall Aerbus and the hydraulic jacks and slides just stopped working. Our battery was dead yesterday and we were able to jump it off our van drive for 4 hours. I had to rev the engine yesterday just to pull the sldies in as the battery wasn't giving enough power to pull them in. Then when we got to our new campground the slides or jacks wouldn't work. Now the RV starts fine and we have the battery on a trickle (2amp) charge.

When I push the extend button on the slide I can hear a clicking sound, but nothing happens.

I want to check the hydraulic fluid to make sure that is not the problem. Does anyone know where I would go to check it?
csavory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On the 98 Rexair I used to have, it was small round tank right in front of the radiator down low. When I extended the slide, the engine always had to be running or there was not enough power to move the slide. Also, it had to be perfectly level or the slide would not go out or come in.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Reservoir

The reservoir is located in front of the radiator as Chuck noted, but it's square on the 1999 Aerbus. Dextron fluid is OK as a replacement. There is also an in-line fuse that might be the source of your problem.

Hope the info Helps

Jim
56safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

Ok, found it. I saw that before, but thought it was tranny fluid since it said Use Dexron Automatic Transmission fluid only. It's at the bottom of the fill line so I will add some more. I see the fuses also and will check them now although they are hard to get to.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Be sure you have the leveling jack switch on. Don't want to tell you how many times I've wondered why the hydraulic pump wasn't working when I forgot the switch!

Jim
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Also, my slide would not move until the emergency brake was on. I cranked the slide in by hand once because it would not move. I did not realize that the emergency brake had backed off just enough so the slide would not operate. After I got it in, I stepped on the emergency brake to set it and start the motorhome up and the slide started working again.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe you also have battery issues?
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Parking brake is engaged. Leveling Jacks switch is on. We had battery issues yesterday, but I drove it for 4 hours yesterday and I had it on a trickle charge all day today. Still the slides or hydraulic jacks do not work. I can hear clicking when I try the slides switch.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Since everything worked before the battery issue, I'd suspect inadequate voltage from the batteries first. You may only have a surface charge on the batteries and the voltage drops as soon as there is a load on the battery - like the "clicking" you get from a car solenoid when the battery is low or dead.. Absent a load meter, you may want to check the voltage while someone tries the jacks or slide. The clicking is probably the relays so the switches are doing their thing.

There is a fuse for the leveling jacks in the fuse panel under the dash. If you have a schematic and the batteries check out, you may want to look for the fuse.

I'm going to be at the RV tomorrow as we are preparing to take off for a couple of weeks. If your still having trouble, please feel free to give me a call (937-912-5828 or 937-723-1320) and I'll do what I can to help by referencing the manuals. It will probably be about 10 A.M. Eastern time before I will be near the manuals.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csavory View Post
Parking brake is engaged. Leveling Jacks switch is on. We had battery issues yesterday, but I drove it for 4 hours yesterday and I had it on a trickle charge all day today. Still the slides or hydraulic jacks do not work. I can hear clicking when I try the slides switch.
Hi CSAVORY
On my Rexhall the jacks have to be down for the slides to work. It sounds like a voltage drop to the pump maybe you can check and clean all of the ends at the battery's a dirty end will cause this , you might have a bad battery also hope this helps.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #11

I put a voltage meter on the battery and I'm at 15 volts. No dropage of voltage when the slide extend is pushed. I read on another forum that a guy always runs his gen when extending the slides. Well I tried that and it won't start or turn over. I'm thinking it might be related since nothing connected to the chassis seems to work except the engine.

Tags
fluid