Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
1999 safari 425 continental

Anyone here have some famiiarity with the brand. I am looking at getting back into a DP and found a pretty sweet unit with documentation. I wasn't able to take it out as it was in vendors shop for cleanup. IN looking at specs. it lists a number of brake options-one being hydraulic over hydraulic and air. I couldn't crawl under to look but the brake pedal looks like a standard hydraulic unit to me. My concern is this unit is already an orphan-do I need to worry about disc brake parts and rotors or are they still avaiable. I know air brakes would be no problem. Dealer insists they are air brakes and it does have the air brake style emergency brake. It has the Cat C13 so it can staill be serviced OK, and Allison HD4060 trans. There is nothing in the funny papers I have been reading about the suspension, whether it is Torilastic or air bags only. I will find that out as well when I can crawl under. This dealer is mainly 5th wheels and bumper pull trailer dealer and only took this in on trade because of full owner's documentation. Any issues one should note would also be appreciated-I return Wednesday next week for road trial and look-see under the unit. Thanks anyone who can shed light.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Safaris of that era were great coaches. It should be riding on the old Safari-built 8 bag Magnum chassis, which, aside from my Spartan, is one I have had experience driving, and it is a very smooth riding coach. I think the torsion bar suspensions ended in 1996 or 1997, maybe? It's easy enough to spot when you take a look

I've never been a fan of hydraulic brakes, but that said, for motorhomes, it's not a big deal, in my book, as long as you make sure you use the engine brake on grades (which is something you should always be doing!). With a C13 I'm betting it's got a two stage Jake -- so not just an exhaust brake, but an engine brake as well (if it has "high" and "low" settings on the toggle that should confirm it). With "high" I would imagine you'll never touch the wheel brakes even on 7+% downgrades.

I want to say that the axles and brakes are NOT Safari proprietary, but I am sure someone else more knowledgable will comment shortly. If you have documentation that says "Arvin-Meritor", or "Reyco" or "Granning" for example, those are common 3rd party suppliers.

Steve

Steve
Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

Great high end coaches!!! Of course I'm a bit predijous. Come on over to 3 Safari Websites to learn all about them.

Safari International | USA and Canada Motorhome Club | FMCA
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Safarifriends/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SafariCoaches/info
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #4

welldid you buy it
gnorthga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
When we looked for our 2nd bus, we looked specifically at Safaris. They are great coaches, but I'm curious why your would go from a 2002 Monaco to a 1999 Safari.

Can't you tell from the brake pedal if the brakes are hydraulic or air?
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
The brakes on the Safari were hydraulic over hydraulic and all disc brakes. Apparently the thought was the driver would not need an air-brake endorsement. We ended up buying a 2006 Monaco Diplomat DP with 51k miles on it. All the tires were under 5 years old and the last owner sat and looked at it in his shop-drove it under 2500 miles in his 5 years of ownership. I've tested all systems and everything looks good. I hope it proves to be good as we are all loaded up to use it for Christmas down at daughters ranch. Supposed to be only a few snow flurries so hope the bus does well. First time towing our Grand Cherokee as well- the Admiral is not pleased with this whole prospect, so I hope I pull it off or I am going to have a lousy start to 2015.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

We nearly bought a 1999 Safari Panther until we found a long-term water leak above the front door that had saturated the wall down to the floor. It was a great MH in all other respects. Of course I fell in love with the CAT 525HP engine.
I had spent a lot of computer time researching on the websites JohnQ provided. I highly recommend them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #8

i bought one and we love it

it had the same leake it was above the automatic anwing

my guys dug it out and sealed it and we cleaned the wall and everything great
this couch has eveything a new one has today it was way before its time and the 1999 was still under the founders hands before they lost the company to another manufactour
gnorthga is offline   Reply With Quote