Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

1999 Safari Continental

hi group,
yikes!!! i just bought a '99 safari continental. it is beautiful and was in my price range. i should have asked you experienced RV'ers first what you thought but now would like any feedback you can give me. good or bad. i fly back to phoenix next week and am going to drive it back home 800 miles. any advice? i have never owned a class a diesel pusher although i have had many other rv's.
thanks in advance!
brownb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

We have a 01 Panther, the big brother of the Continental (bigger engine) Love it. Ours has the torsalastic suspension system instead of airbags and we are still working on getting the right just right. Driving our freeways in So Calif is like driving a bucking horse so getting this right is really critical

Ours sat at a dealer in Texas for two years, being serviced every month in their shop.

We wanted everything just right so, while it all wasn't needed, we did the following.
New tires
brakes
Koni shocks
Tiger trac
Muffler
Relpaced TV's with flat screens
Replaced ice maker in fridge(warranty)
Replaced alternator (warranty)
New coach and house batteries
Serviced everything (transmission and filter, oil and filters, radiator, water fuel filter seperators)

When I was looking we almost bought a 99 Continental in Phoenix. Wonder if it was the same one.

Suggest you join yahoo groups. They have a great Safari site Also recommend you look at Karen and SteveO's blog. They have a Safari and list some of the neat stuff they have done.
RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard

There are some great folks out there with Safari's who are very helpful.

email me directly at anchanrj@cox.net if you want to discuss one on one.

Welcome to the Safari club.

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I recently bought a 38' Safari Serengetti 300 hp cat and it is my first DP. I would recommend getting good towing service, and plan to drive SLOOWLLLY at first. You will get the hang of it, but 800 miles is a long way. Drive slow, give yourselp PLENTY of space front and back, and don't back into anywhere you don't need to. By the way, what size and engine did you get?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

hi,
thanks for the advice. we got a 40' continental w/ the 330hp CAT motor. congrats on your new rig too!
take care,
bruce
Old 08-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

hi rick,
thanks for the info and advice. i will email you and get on the yahoo group when i get a sec. look forward to being part of the club. i was just in l.a. and the 405 was pretty rough. sounds like you've done quite a bit to your panther. i bet the 425hp is nice. this one was on ebay at a dealer (superstition rv in apache junction, az).
take care,
bruce
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You're going to love the Cat. Lots of power' and purr's when she's running. Do you know if the pac brake works? You should read up on how and when to use it. Also, read up on the operation of the Allison Transmission and don't hesitate to downshift to help slow you down. Your "pushing" a lot of weight, and need all the help you can get. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Jon has a good point. My Panther has hydraulic over hydraulic brakes, not air brakes. Guys at Redlands Truck installed new brakes. Said all the pads were glassed over. Even with new ones, the stopping is not perfect. I ALWAYS drive with the engine brake on unless I am on open highway and using the cruise. It automatically downshifts the great Allison trany and you can almost come to a complete stop just using it.

Earlier this summer coming down I 5 above Shasta. Typical construction on our lousy California freeways took it to one lane. Had to do a panic stop with the Panther. Made it, but thought I was going to have to change my shorts.

Pushing over 30,000 pounds it takes a while to stop.

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

Well, Welcome to the "Pride" (that's Safari's). First things first, a couple of speciality websites with a ton of very friendly and helpful folks. The Yahoo Group -- Safarifriends : To promote the exchange of information regarding SAFARI MOTORHOMES. . It also has a bunch of very good downloadable Safari files and photo albums of how folks have done things with their coaches. And the second group -- http://www.safari-international.org/ . You will love it. And do not be too afraid of driving it, just cautious. A neighbor gave me my first driving tip with wide motorhomes, he said that if you can see the yellow line and the fog line in the side mirrors, you are positioned just right in the lane. Learn how to use the PAC brake, and when you get home, locate a tube/bottle of PAC Brake Lube and use it. We attended our first Safari Rally at Mt Hood last month, learned quite a bit, and met a lot of good friendly folks. Locate your local regional chapter, join, and enjoy.

Forgot one very important item, age of the tires. Get to a reputable tire dealer to have them checked and determine the age. Nothing past 8 years, and that is pushing it.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

thanks for the info. i used to drive a 60', 60,000lb fire truck so this should be OK. is the PAC brake different than a Jake brake? i'm used to a compression retarder to slow vehicle. tires are 4 years old w/ no visible cracking and about 7/8" of tread. look forward to joining the "pride". my rig has a lion and lion airbrushed on the back. thanks again for the info.
bruce
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb View Post
thanks for the info. i used to drive a 60', 60,000lb fire truck so this should be OK. is the PAC brake different than a Jake brake? i'm used to a compression retarder to slow vehicle. tires are 4 years old w/ no visible cracking and about 7/8" of tread. look forward to joining the "pride". my rig has a lion and lion airbrushed on the back. thanks again for the info.
bruce
On your left, and right behind the "Raised Allison Pad" are 3 rocker switches, the one nearest to you is the PAC Brake switch. And yes it is like a Jake Retarder. Be aware (and have a Cat/Allison Tech verify) whether or not it is in "Latch Mode" or not. I would assume for the time being that it has NOT been programmed for Latch Mode Braking, use it in the on position to slow down, and once slowed down, switch it off.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #11

And here is yet another handy dandy website for a New DP Guy -- RV Service Review It has (by State) a fairly good database of Service Places & pass ratings on services performed, a very Good Reference when yah need something Good at Bad Times.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

I love my 95' 38' Continential, 300hp cat, 6 spd auto Allison, velvet ride susp. They do take awhile to get used to. May I suggest changing your back-up camera to a 12v. screen. Most are hooked up to your overhead tv and require 110v changing it to a 12v small screen alloows you to view with just the key on or off depending how it is wired up.
Happy Trails
Aloha
Dizneydad
dizneydad is offline   Reply With Quote