Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

1999 Sea Breeze low in the front

First time post!

I inherited my 1999 Sea Breeze a few years ago from my grandparents who simply got too old to use it. One thing I've been trying to figure out is the "sag" in the front end. To get it level I have to make sure to park each of the front wheels on these two, stepped 2x4 sets of boards (so, I'm basically needing to raise the front end up 4 inches to get level every time.)

I've had two truck places check out the front suspension and they said everything's fine. Last year one station recommended new front tires and I did that which helped the handling (part of the reason I was suspecting a suspension issue because it felt a little "floaty" in the front on the highway).

I did notice two Schrader valves in the front when I open up that tiny hood to access the engine. I know there are air bladders in the front suspension and the last place I took it said they were OK but do these valves control the PSI in these bladders? If so, can I simply put a specific PSI into each to raise/lower the front end?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what you are saying I believe you have a P-32 Chassis, with air assisted front suspension.
The minimum pressure in the should be 55 lbs.
To get the ride hight corrected the front suspension needs to be fully extended using the jacks. Then air up the bags to 100 lbs. lower the coach, and the reduce the pressure to about 75 lbs. From there the pressure can be adjusted up or down to find a "sweet spot" that gives the best ride. Do not go below 55 lbs.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Interesting! Am I correct in thinking the valves in the front under the hood are for airing up these bags, then? I'm not sure about the numeric designation of P-32 but I know the chassis I have is the "Workhorse" Chevy chassis.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adjust the air in the front air bags to get between 2" and 21/2" of clearance between the front bump stops and the frame but do not exceed 100 lbs. Keep an eye on these presures because these bags have a tendency to leak.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably so. There should be air lines going to each bag. The only chassis made by Workhorse/GM with airbage was the P-32.
Keep the pressure equal in both bags.
Workhorse purchased the motorhome chassis line from GM in 1999, so yours could be Chevrolet but it is the same chassis.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

I have the same issue and went so far as replacing the front coil springs and the air lift bags.. it is still lower in the front by 4 inches. The GM chassis sits low and the front wheels and tires sit back under wheel wells from the factory.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oran42348 View Post
I have the same issue and went so far as replacing the front coil springs and the air lift bags.. it is still lower in the front by 4 inches. The GM chassis sits low and the front wheels and tires sit back under wheel wells from the factory.
Have you checked the ride hight?
Where/what are you measuring?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #8

I take measurement from the frame to pavement front and rear
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Didn't National RV build a NICE M/H. Just look at it.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #10

My P-30 chassis had those air bags inside the front coils to assist . I replaced them twice and then after talking with the RV shop I use he recommended new correct front coils. I went and weighed my front axle and he ordered new coils for that weight and installed them. I wish I had done thar years earlier, what a difference in handling on mountain roads etc and the ride height never changes.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oran42348 View Post
I take measurement from the frame to pavement front and rear
Have you checked the ride hight of the front suspension and is it at the correct level as speed racer quoted?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #12

TdogKing I'll do that replacement you recommend when my replacement bags fail.

Installing those new bags last year was wild entertainment.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Have you checked the ride hight of the front suspension and is it at the correct level as speed racer quoted?

Az Bound....yes i checked the ride height at the stops that were bottoming out it measured 3/4 inch before spring replacement.. I then refered to my service manual for the chassis suspension service which had a warning to replace the coil springs with original equipment because some heavier after market springs were damaging the suspension due to bottoming out metal to metal (spring coil becomes like a solid metal pipe ) when bottoming out. I called fleetwood and asked what the ride height measurement should be they couldnt give me straight answer said that replacing with original equipment is what they advised. They couldnt guarantee any difference after the install. The service shop agreed that OEM would be the way to go. After researching and at the expense of replacement springs and air lift bags my ride height is 1 inch and the front is still lower with little change. Air pressure was 90 psi with the coils extended and set to 90 psi with springs loaded. no load bare coach minimum weight.