Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear of your windshield concerns,
I have heard of issues regarding the use of hydraulic levelers on larger MH's causing the chassis to flex that can "pop" the glass out of place or cause stress cracks. Don't know if this applies to your coach. Good luck and hope this repair solves your problem.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you do not lower the front jacks first, then lower the rears and level, you will probably twist the coach and pop the windsheilds. Another hint is to remove that heavy old TV from the front overhead.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Just read your article on the windshield issue on you 99 Tradewinds. I just purchased a 99 and will take delivery in a couple of weeks and it has a cracked passenger windshield. The seller has agreed to replace the windshield prior to my taking delivery. From what I read in replies / comments on this, do I understand that it is necessary to level the rear and then the front is a specific sequence? Anything else I should look for? Thanks - Dave
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Vegasdan was saying,
Lower the front jacks first to stabilize the front of the chassis, then set the rear jacks. This will keep chassis twist to a minimum at the front cap.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

I have had 4 windshields replaced, all by insurance. So glad I just joined the group. I have a 1999 Tradewinds with a non starting problem. I need to know if anyone knows where the plug is for my cat diagnostic is located in my 1999 Tradewinds? Thanks, Bryan
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Tradewiinds Windshields and Diagnostic Readout Plug

Bryan - I am too new to this as I have not yet taken delivery of my 99 Tradewinds 7371 and my fulltime journey doesnt begin until June. Perhaps Dick Berry will read this and reply as he is very knowledgeable and helpful. Good Luck - Dave
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #7

I have the same popping problem.I am thinking of trying gluing it in place to prevent shifting.Has anyone tried this?Right now I have sealed the gaps with tape to stop wind whistle.
BOB
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I have the same popping problem.I am thinking of trying gluing it in place to prevent shifting.Has anyone tried this?Right now I have sealed the gaps with tape to stop wind whistle.
BOB
Both windsheilds in my TW were replaced before we bought the coach. I have had no issues with the windsheilds popping out but did have a terrible wind whistle. I had a auto glass place look it over and the tech said the windsheild had been sealed in better than anything he had seen before but the wind whistle was being caused by air leaks getting past the gasket and the fiberglass cap. He used a black elastic caulk and carefully caulked where the gasket and fiberglass meet. We no longer have a wind whisle. This has been caused by the gasket aging and drying out, so instead of replacing the gasket ($$) we had it sealed instead. NOW, MOST IMPORTANT! Raise the front jacks first! Then the back jacks.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I first got my 7390.we found,after the purchase,that the right w/s had dropped and the left was popping out at the top left corner and was almost ready to fall out.The tech that redid them pulled the windows and replaced the gasket,$350 for the gasket, and then DIDN'T seal them when finished.I've put 5K miles on the rig and there is no sign of it happening again.I do get some wind noise,but no more than I did in my school bus on the highway and there is no water leakage.His concept is that the sealer keeps the w/s from flexing in the opening and also told me about the front jacks and trying to keep the front end from flexing too much. I also just replaced the 45# TV in the overhead with a 15# one and have actually noticed a difference there.Used to have one of the cabinets that would pop a bit when going over a driveway and now it doesn't.
Now if I could just get the satellite guy to get the box to work right,I'll be happy.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

1999 National Tradewinds Windshields

You are correct. What a total pain. Been through several repairs. Gorilla taped it last time to get home from AZ. Worked good in a pinch. Completely reinstalled new glass with new rubber. We had talked about the Halo repair but just did not know where to start and what to anchor to. I left a message for Duncan. Hope they can shed some light on this.
LOVE The coach....hate the windshields. Any info would be a help. Thanks Reno
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #11

Hey Reno,
sorry to hear it...Jim Devers there at Duncan has been great...he really helped me with the mystery...
My friend Mac King in Fl. was also helpful. Look forward to hearing of your progress...

also Bryan...I think the diagnostic plug is in the panel where you shift gears...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #12

Hi Greg.....you mentioned a Mac King in Tampa. Well I, too have a windshield popping problem with my 2000 Tradewinds, and I live about 120 miles from Tampa. I sure would like to contact Mr. King. Can you give me contact info......I'll be forever gratefull!...........THANKS.....Don:roll eyes:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #13

yes sir Mr. Don

I forwarded your message to Mac...here is his email address SSstyle18@aol.com

Blessings
Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #14

update...we have been to Fl., Ms. and Al. and then back to Nashville on several trips since the repairs...and even though the glass did not install perfectly into place by glass installers...it is holding and the front top is not shifting back and forth like before.
Another glass installer in Fl. took a look (Thank you K and K Glass in Zephyrhills Fl.) and said that all windshields are gonna vary slightly from glass to glass and that you can sometimes see an imperfect fit...point being though...even with an imperfect fit we have windshields that are not breaking! Thank You to our Heavenly Father! Thank you Mac King for your hard work and God given gift of ingenuity...Thank You Mr. Devers from Duncan RV for taking the time on the phone to give alot of insight...Thank You Lawrence Glass for being willing to install windshields into a modified unit...Thank you to some dear friends who made the repairs possible.
'Those who put their trust in Him, He will deliver them out of their trouble'
gregmcdougal@ahouseformykids.com