Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
1999 winnebago ultimate freedom

Hello, new guy from texas I have had a couple of tt's and one 5er. I have always wanted a pusher. It would be on the road about 3-5000 miles a year. So I ran across this winnebago saturday, besides the green paint it is sweet! 38 ft, 55, 000 miles, no major cosmetic damage or water damage I can see. I work on big diesel generators, and hot rod my duramax so im ok with mechanical stuff. I love class a's in general, me and my dad did, however he has long passed. Just looking for some advice from people on the forum about this coach, good and bad. Thanks upfront for any help.

2007 jayco seneca 35gs. Efi live and other things soon
. 2007cc gmc built motor twin turbos dual cp3 and other goodies
matt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess everybody is off drinking green beer someplace.

I don't have any personal experience with the UF, but am on my second Vectra. I don't have any major complaints on the Winnebago quality, and the UF is a high quality rig. The only problem I've had with mine is the mirrors they attach to the wall with dbl sided tape keep coming loose. They need something to anchor them securely. Could be that the AZ heat is a major contributing factor with my problems.

If the floor plan suits you, and the price is right, go for it and have a lot of fun with your new rig.

Ken & Jeannie
96 Vectra Grand Tour 35' DP
Jacey (terri-poo, waiting at the rainbow bridge), Jack (silky terrier)
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Good morning,and welcome to IRV2. I to looked at a UF during my search for a coach,and do know a couple things about them. They were Winnebago's flagship when in production.From what I understand they were under marketed by Winnebago so only produced a few years,but built with the quality you would expect from this class of M.H. They sure looked to be a solid coach and do remember a couple things that were on my short list. IFS,generator on a slide,simi-monque chassis.So if it has had regular maintence and you like the floor plan go for it.One thing though on any IFS you should check out the ball joint boots for cracks real close.Hope this helps.Good luck.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
I looked at the 40j's prior to buying our Safari. In, fact my wife and I sat in one for about an hour and we decided against it. Really a nice, quality coach on a great chassis and this one had low miles and cummins 350. But we felt closed in, not enough windows and when I stood in the shower (I'm 5-10) my eyes were looking over the top. But everybody will tell you buy floor plan first....the 38 has just the solo toilet I believe, I wanted a sink in the poddy and that's what the 40j has...my 2 cents..
2003 Safari Sahara 3753, 350HP ISC, Allison 6 speed
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad
Wyatt, our white Boxer with one blue and one brown eye....
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

There are several members of irv2.com who own a Ultimate Freedom, perhaps 5-6 of us. The Spartan chassis is a big plus for many reasons. The Independent Front Suspension/IFS, handles very well, and has the sharpest wheel cut of any MH of that era, 55*. Ours is in my signature below. Ours had been in barn storage for 6 years. I have repaired many things on the coach, but not one on the chassis or genset. IMO, all the repairs were the result of non-use, which I knew going-in would be the case.
If the floorplan suits both of you, that's the important factor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Well looks like the dealer is to proud of the price. I pulled the nada value and he wants average retail and wont budge. So no deal. Back to the drawing board. I test drove a 2009 windsport 32e with 13, 000 miles and a 2005 national seabreeze with 25, 000. Both gas rigs, going to look at a few more this week.
2007 jayco seneca 35gs. Efi live and other things soon
. 2007cc gmc built motor twin turbos dual cp3 and other goodies
matt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I upgraded from a '34ft '94 Georgie Boy, to a '38ft '99 Ult Freedom. We picked it up with 32k miles 4 months ago. We have since put about 6000 miles on it. I do not regret the purchase, have made some mistakes. As this is my first DP ... DEF does not go in the fuel tank , Air conditioning compressor locked up to fry the serpentine belt, Age of tires are an important thing to check (not rely on the salesman/prev owners word) Front blowouts are loud and startling.

'99 Ultimate Freedom, UKQ38KD, on a Freightliner chassis, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon .... Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote