Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
There is only the 2 of us, so 2 bathrooms are not needed. We enjoy the extra space that could be taken up.
On the other hand, my wife loves the washer/drier on longer trips. It's a 2 in 1, but works just fine.
She can make me a sandwich, get a drink and do a load of wash going down the road!
Happy Glamping.

ps. maybe we do have a second toilet if you consider the cat's litter box.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
14 years as half timers and DW loved or Splendide 2100 vented combo. New rig has stacked units and if one breaks she will want to remove both and go back to a combo unit for the extra storage.

Guess we have a bath and a quarter...2 sinks. Not interested in having two toilets or a complete bath in the back. Even the USFS CGs we like usually have a toilet if we need 2 at once. In 20+ years I do not remember wishing we had 2 toilets or using one in a CG.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #17

I noticed your statement “max of a 2 week trip once a year”. I’d skip not only the WD but the motor home entirely and retire in six years rather than 8. You’re going to pay a heck of a lot of depreciation and maintenance to park that thing 50 weeks a year.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our first coach had a walk through, single bath. That was the part of the coach we liked least. Our second coach had a bath and 1/2 and a combo washer. The combo washer is what the wife liked least. The next one had bath and 1/2 and stackables. When we bought our present coach, we never looked at any with out bath and 1/2 and stackables because they ended up on our must have list
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
NXR

Our 38' Forest River GT5 34H5 has the combined W/D and the 1 1/2 bath. Because there is only one black tank towards the rear, the center 1/2 bath toilet is a Tecma with a macerator pump to send the "stuff" all the way to the black water tank. So yeah, the second bathroom toilet gets used for #2.

We use the Splendide 2100XC (vented) as a clothes hamper. When it gets 3/4 full we run it. When we get out of the shower or come back from swimming it takes about twenty minutes on Dry to get the towels dry. That has to reduce the humidity in the coach somewhat.

Ray
Old 07-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I noticed your statement “max of a 2 week trip once a year”. I’d skip not only the WD but the motor home entirely and retire in six years rather than 8. You’re going to pay a heck of a lot of depreciation and maintenance to park that thing 50 weeks a year.
X2 and go on 2 cruises in a cabin with a window for $70-80/day/person... $2500/year.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
We use both bathrooms, but if we had to choose between the half bath and the washer/dryer, we’d choose the washer/dryer. Not only great for coming home with clean clothes, but sometimes you need to dry a towel or a bathing suit.
gmalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We haven't got it yet, but we bought a DP with 1.5 baths and a stacked W/D. We specifically wanted both features.

The W/D because my wife and I both work full-time and it can be surprisingly stressful to ensure we have a week's worth of clean clothes before we leave for a weekend trip. Our hope is that having a W/D in the RV will mean less pre-trip stress for us.

The 1.5 baths because nothing triggers the need to go quite like hearing the shower come on. And while things like going in the woods or in filthy bathrooms don't matter so much to us boys, the ladies aren't quite in the same boat. So that was a big feature for my wife, and I'm looking forward to it as well. For the extra sink if nothing else.

We can survive without both these features, but I get enough of bare survival on my son's Scout trips.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #23

We had a gas 36 footer for our first motorhome to see if that lifestyle was for us. Bought a nice clean unit for 20K, We looked for about a year at different motorhomes as we used the gas unit. It allowed us to decide what we liked and disliked before choosing an upgrade. We purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution with a bath and a half and a combo washer/dryer, both things we wanted, and perfectly happy with what we have. I like the combo unit as we throw in a load and go out, coming back to completed laundry.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
X2 and go on 2 cruises in a cabin with a window for $70-80/day/person... $2500/year.

OK, I didn't word that well, I meant the max trip in the next 6-8yrs would be 2 weeks long, but we'll also take shorter trips throughout the year.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
OK, I didn't word that well, I meant the max trip in the next 6-8yrs would be 2 weeks long, but we'll also take shorter trips throughout the year.
We are doing similar, max 2 weeks at a time but have done 4 trips so far, next trip is August and a very short trip in September.

In the mean time we are parked at a trailer park and use it like a cottage. Living the dream :-)
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for responding, we appreciate it.

I think we'll end up with a bath & a half and either pass on a W/D or look for a combo W&D. We can always add the W/D later if we want one, another bath, not so much.

Our concerns are space, weight & costs. I'd love to buy our last MH first, but due to storage limitations, and the fact that we're not going on longer trips for years, it's not realistic for us.

The challenge will be to find the unit that has taken the depreciation hit already, that has the floorplan we want and will retain a good amount of it's value for the next 5-8yrs so we don't take a bath when we upgrade. That is why we want a DP. Also, if we decide not to FT and an upgrade isn't needed, whatever we get now will need last us for many years. It's a fine line to walk...

Someone posted that a gasser seems like the right choice for us for the next 6-8yrs, and I kind of agree. We're looking at Newmar's & Tiffin's and a 34-39' higher end gasser can be gotten new in the $125-$140k range and a few year older ones are much cheaper. Add $20-$50k and 5-8yo & good quality used DPs become available. While I can't say $ is not an issue, what the extra $ can buy in a DP seems like a good value both today & at resell time... No, this is turning into yet another gas vs. diesel thread...
Old 07-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #27

We consider a W/D, at least a vented combo, a must have. Don't have a bath and half. Modern gassers (F-53) handle the mountains just as well as many DPs.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Thanks to all for responding, we appreciate it.

I think we'll end up with a bath & a half and either pass on a W/D or look for a combo W&D. We can always add the W/D later if we want one, another bath, not so much.

Our concerns are space, weight & costs. I'd love to buy our last MH first, but due to storage limitations, and the fact that we're not going on longer trips for years, it's not realistic for us.

The challenge will be to find the unit that has taken the depreciation hit already, that has the floorplan we want and will retain a good amount of it's value for the next 5-8yrs so we don't take a bath when we upgrade. That is why we want a DP. Also, if we decide not to FT and an upgrade isn't needed, whatever we get now will need last us for many years. It's a fine line to walk...

Someone posted that a gasser seems like the right choice for us for the next 6-8yrs, and I kind of agree. We're looking at Newmar's & Tiffin's and a 34-39' higher end gasser can be gotten new in the $125-$140k range and a few year older ones are much cheaper. Add $20-$50k and 5-8yo & good quality used DPs become available. While I can't say $ is not an issue, what the extra $ can buy in a DP seems like a good value both today & at resell time... No, this is turning into yet another gas vs. diesel thread...
We looked at gas vs DP, the largest issue to us was lack of storage in a gas. As it is we use all the storage available in our DP. I can't see how we could survive, even for 2 weeks, with the storage available in a gas unit.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote