Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

1st motor home

Just bought a 2007 Excursion 39V 8,500 miles. We have had a 5th wheel for ten years, Anything I should know?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ya; Now you will be hooked on motorhomes for the rest of your life like the rest of us poor souls.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, first of all it will not bend in the middle while turning ! No more going out side when you stop for a sandwich or restroom break.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
When you back up you dont have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction
Congrats
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgpollard View Post
Just bought a 2007 Excursion 39V 8,500 miles. We have had a 5th wheel for ten years, Anything I should know?
Yes, but there isn't room here...... We acquired the factory "owners manual" from Monaco. It is an inch and a quarter thick with print on both page sides. Third reading of the entire manual things began to make sense. It is still referenced at least twice a week.
We've owned trailers of one kind or another for 15 years and our obsession with KNOWING most everything there is to know about a mechanical device is that things go wrong. As Murphy says "they will do so at the least desireable time" so remember, as driver of the bus, you arrive at the scene of the accident FIRST!
This site is the second best source of specific info.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Everthing.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Rg,

You should seriously consider joining FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) and attend one of the larger Rallies. You will meet all kings of people (vbg). Some of which will gladly tell you everything you need to know and probably a whole lot more. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhomes.

Bob
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Congratulations. Remember, wide turns, if you have a TOAD, generally don't back up, know the clearance of the vehicle, jacks up, slides in and have fun.
refncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
congratulations! hope to join you all soon myself, Is the water cold?
garycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
congratulations

we to moved over from a huge fiver.

i like not bending in the middle
and being able for my loving dw to make me a sandwich without having to stop and get out etc.

i will second the reading of every book made for your rig.
i glance over mine about 2x a month
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
Rg,

You should seriously consider joining FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) and attend one of the larger Rallies. You will meet all kings of people (vbg). Some of which will gladly tell you everything you need to know and probably a whole lot more. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhomes.

Bob

Why do they need to belong to FMCA? I considered it but so many things they list are an extra expense. I do like the magazine I ordered a subscription to.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #12

Congrats on the MH. Won't have to get out in poring down rain to pee. Well, That's just one thing that came to mind. You'll find lots more...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Well, first of all it will not bend in the middle while turning ! No more going out side when you stop for a sandwich or restroom break.
Excellent advice from everyone.

My favorite is the 'pooch' rides in extreme comfort instead of stuffed in the back seat of the truck.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #14

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
Why do they need to belong to FMCA? I considered it but so many things they list are an extra expense. I do like the magazine I ordered a subscription to.
Barb,

At the end of the original post they asked "Anything I should know". FMCA is an organization geared exclusively for motorhome owners. As you mentioned the magazine is a good one, and will provide answers to the "anything I should know' question on a regular basis. Yes, a lot of the benefits are at an extra cost, but that is not why we stay members.

We like to attend Rallies when we are in the area. The larger ones have great seminars and a large number of vendors. We have learned a lot attending them. It is also a good place for me to pickup oil and air filters for our Onan genset at a good price. The larger Rallies usually offer coach weighing at the corners($). You are almost guaranteed to see someone with a coach 'just like ours', they could well be seasoned veterans who could answer all kinds of questions for them.

There are other benefits as well, discounts at campgrounds (usually 15% vs 10% for other clubs), discount pricing on Coach-Net, trip routing, FMCA.com, etc. Also they have a network of volunteers who will move your coach ($) for you in the event of an emergency. We were once somewhere where the husband was hauled off in an ambulance at 4:00am, the wife had never driven their MH before was in an absolute panic as what to do. I asked if she was FMCA (yes) and told her about it if needed. Fortunately he was ok, but her panic at the time was very real.

Then there is the people factor, we have met many great folks over the years. Most folks that we know who are serious about RV'ing are members. Hence I usually tell newbies it is a good organization to join. Happy travels,

Bob