Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #1

1st Motorhome ...

My wife and family just purchased out first motorhome a 2000 Coachmen Mirada we are in Canada and it is in Florida...we are taking our kids to Disney world in March and will be driving the coach back to PEI Canada..we are going to stop in Myrtle beach and cross the Chesapeake Bay bridge as I think it would be neat to see...as this is going to be out first journey and a long one and help on what to look out for as far as problems or things that could happen on a trip of 2200 miles would be appreciated.

The Roach Coach Family
Roach Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome Roach Coach ! Sounds like you have a very nice trip lined up.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Motorhome life. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip, take the time to read all the manuals for the coach. Check everything then check it again before you set out. I would strongly reccomend getting Coach Net or some similar road service, it's cheap insurance. Make sure you have all the paperwork ready for the crossing into Canada.

Most of all ENJOY.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

Roach Coach, Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have everything planned out pretty well. Good luck on your maiden voyage...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Thanks everyone will are hoping everything goes well...we have all our paperwork for the border just have to pu our temporary permit in Florida at the DMW when we get there anyone have any idea on cost fro temp permit in Florida?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Just found out my own answer called the tax collection office in Florida and was told will cost me 7.00 for a temp permit and I do not pay the sales tax for Florida.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #7

Redundant suggestion

I hope this is redundant, but here goes...

Florida is a long way from home, others suggested road coverage which is a must, but is the MH being serviced before pickup?

It needs to be inspected and have all of the maintenance completed.

The batteries should be inspected or if original just outright replaced.

Starting battery at minimum, coach batteries may wait depending on if you desire to change the design.

TIRES! They are likely the originals, and at 10-11 years old they need to be replaced...period! Concidering the first trip is a long one.

Have the dealer confirm the date codes on all tires, at minimum request photos of the date codes (reasonable photos, the dates that are visible), along with supporting paperwork if they calim tires are "new" or replacements.

If they are old, and not considered in the deal, then you can have them replaced before you arrive, many tire companies have road crews who do this on the road for a reasonable cost, or if at the dealer they can replace them.

Do it correctly, investigate what options youhave and search here for information and then work with the tire dealer to make your selection.

If you choose Goodyear or another major company you may be able to work with a local dealer in your area to select and purchase the tires and they work with a provider where the MH is located to install them.

Schedule any installation work to be late Feb. to insure nothing ages on the lot.

Even if this is from a dealer it is important to have everything "certified" working so your trip home is safe and enjoyable.

Make sure your cell phone will work along the whole route, if not pick up a throw away one that will.

Can you get a copy of the operators' manual?

Having this now would allow study of the systems so you are better prepared to do your acceptance inspection as well as starting your trip.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow sounds to me like one WHOPPER of a 1st adventure!!!! (1st motorhome is 11 years old....) I would DEFINATLEY have an EXIT strategy if things don't seem the way they should when you get to Florida! Best wishes and good luck!!!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's lots of great info here about the MH, I will add advice about the Chesapeake Bridge. Great to go over, but then go BACK over it again, and get on the main highways - the roads north of the bridge are SLOW!! - and we were only in a truck, not an RV at that time! It took forever! Keep posting questions, this is a great forum!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congraulations on your new purchase. Its great to have another Canuck on here. On your return trip just keep an eye open for the weather?
Most folks from the east that we know including family in New Brunswick take the following route to miss the major cities.
I 95 North to Fredericksburg Virginia.
Route 17 across to I 66
I 81 north till Scranton PA
I 380 to I 84
I 84 to I 90
I 90 to I 495
I 495 up to joing I 95 north of Boston.
This eliminates Washington DC, Baltimore area, Philly area, New York area and Boston area. And the extra miles are not significant. You might want to map it out to check.
I just checked on Streets and Trips and the difference is 200 Km only. Can easily lose that 2 hours in traffic in any one of those cities.
My parents and most of the members of their MH club from new Brunswick and PEI always used the above route. I am originally from Sackville NB.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

Are you by any chance going to stay in the MH at Disney? Might be a good time to get used to the unit before hitting the road and if anything is wrong, perhaps you could get it addressed then.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats on the new purchase. You are probably scared to death on all of the suggestions above. That is a long 1st trip. Camping at Disney was a great idea above, that will give you time to learn your way around. Spend whatever time needed with the seller, to get familiar with everything possible.

Great info here on the forum.

Welcome aboard!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats! And your trip home will be an adventure you never forget, roll with any punches and enjoy the journey.

Don't try to move to far in one day. Even now, after 2 seasons and 10,000 plus miles, I'm most comfortable at 300 mile days. 400-500 is doable, but by the time I park it, I'm shot. I can do 5-600 easy in my pickup, and 800 is no problem in the corvette or camaro, so it's the coach.

If you're not a professional truck driver, it's going to take time and practice figuring out where the right and left sides of your coach are, particularly on 2 lane bridges. Go easy, stay toward the centerline, and don't hit anything.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice Jim will do for sure ...i have no problem with driving and we are taking 7 days to come back to PEI so if I have to push it i can and if not we can take our time....we were also thinking on stopping in Philly for a bit but I have heard it is not very safe any ideas anyone?